Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2005 3:07:45 AM EDT
I would like some info on my 30 year old Colt government model. When I disassemble the gun for cleaning I notice the ejector is somewhat loose. You can wiggle it back and forth.  Is this normal? It ejects just fine with no failiures.

any info would be appreciated
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:11:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:18:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It's somewhat normal on a gun that old, but it's not good.  If it still ejects, great.  It's a matter of time before it loosens to the point that it probably will cause a failure.  Then again, I've seen guns with no pin and a very floppy ejector run just fine.

A new extractor can be had pretty cheap, between $15 and $30 for a good aftermarket one, plus you will need a new pin.  Install is a matter of having a very small round file and the knowledge to do it.  If you go the extended route, you can tune the ejection path by profiling the face, which requires a small file.  Also, if you do it yourself, you should have a vise, a set of vise grips, and a small hammer.  Anyway, if you're interested, I'm sure we can resurrect a thread on it, or you can take it to a smith.

Ejector /= extractor. I think you're confused.  Replacing the extractor almost requires no tools. Replacing the ejector requires four hands but there's a bolt disassembly tool you can buy to aid in complete bolt disassembly.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:20:49 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's somewhat normal on a gun that old, but it's not good.  If it still ejects, great.  It's a matter of time before it loosens to the point that it probably will cause a failure.  Then again, I've seen guns with no pin and a very floppy ejector run just fine.

A new extractor can be had pretty cheap, between $15 and $30 for a good aftermarket one, plus you will need a new pin.  Install is a matter of having a very small round file and the knowledge to do it.  If you go the extended route, you can tune the ejection path by profiling the face, which requires a small file.  Also, if you do it yourself, you should have a vise, a set of vise grips, and a small hammer.  Anyway, if you're interested, I'm sure we can resurrect a thread on it, or you can take it to a smith.

Ejector /= extractor. I think you're confused.  Replacing the extractor almost requires no tools. Replacing the ejector requires four hands but there's a bolt disassembly tool you can buy to aid in complete bolt disassembly.

Exactly how in the heck do you disassemble the BOLT on a 1911 when it does not HAVE a bolt? [looking at mine, nope, no bolt.] The ejector is pretty easy to do IF you take your time and do it right using a good product. Use the correct punch to tap out the pin and replace the pin also at the same time. You might want to go with a bit longer one and adjust it [file] to throw empties where you want but I doubt it's really needed. Just take your time filing on the leg. I use pencil lead to mark [mech pencil] exactly where I need to file.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Exactly how in the heck do you disassemble the BOLT on a 1911 when it does not HAVE a bolt? [looking at mine, nope, no bolt.] The ejector is pretty easy to do IF you take your time and do it right using a good product. Use the correct punch to tap out the pin and replace the pin also at the same time. You might want to go with a bit longer one and adjust it [file] to throw empties where you want but I doubt it's really needed. Just take your time filing on the leg. I use pencil lead to mark [mech pencil] exactly where I need to file.

Hey...wait a minute!!!  Mine has a bolt!!!  WTF???
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I think he's talking about the AR15.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:12:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:39:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm gonna get slammed for this, but.......
easiest fix is to remove the current ejector, degrease the posts and holes,

and use about 1/2 drop of LocTite #271.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:40:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:43:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Loctiting the ejector makes a lot of sense, since there's no way it can come off when the slide's on the gun.  All the Loctite does is keep the ejector from going missing when you pull the slide off.  Still, there are always a few guys who freak out because it isn't a practice endorsed by the WWJMBD crowd.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:06:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Crap guys, I screwed up.  ken mays is right, I was thinking AR15. Damn, I gotta slow down here. Sorry for the error.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Crap guys, I screwed up.  ken mays is right, I was thinking AR15. Damn, I gotta slow down here. Sorry for the error.

Az jus pickin on you a bit in fun. I figured you were talking AR speak.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top