Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 6:33:26 PM EDT
Would like to get some feedback from those who carry 1911's.
I want to use an IWB holster, for a 4 or 5" barrel.
I'm used to the kydex (blade-tech) when I carried Glocks, but I'm leaning tocarrying a 1911.
Do you prefer leather or kydex?
Do you recommend/discourage an Ambi-safety?
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:03:48 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Would like to get some feedback from those who carry 1911's.
I want to use an IWB holster, for a 4 or 5" barrel.
I'm used to the kydex (blade-tech) when I carried Glocks, but I'm leaning tocarrying a 1911.
Do you prefer leather or kydex?
Do you recommend/discourage an Ambi-safety?
Your input is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

If you get a chance, find someone locally and try out as many as you can. For concealed carry, your holster will make or break you. So be ready to put down a good $70-120, YMMV.

So, My recommendation? A Milt Sparks Versa Max II or Alessi (forget model) Leather IWB. I carry a 4.25in barrel 1911 in my Milt Sparks and I have fallen asleep with it on, to attest to how comfrotable it is.

Ambi-Safety? Eh, depends soley on you.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I was a big kydex guy when I started carrying my G19. However, after trying a Versa Max II and a 1911 I'm hooked! I ordered a VMII for my G19 tonight.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Currently using a Galco Royal guard, which is doing the job okay.  I can see myself moving to a milt sparks holster when I get a bit of scratch to drop on it.

The Galco likes to rock forward, but I'm not sure if thats the holster or me just needing to get a better belt.  However, the one thing I do like about the galco is that the belt loops are close together so I can slide the holster forward a bit when I sit down so that its slightly infront of my hip rather than on making printing while sitting less of a problem.  The relative ease of reposition does make things a bit more comfortable, but also results in the holster rocking a bit.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Versa Max II all the way!

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:10:02 PM EDT
[#5]
I carry concealed every day.  Usually a glock 36 or a Kahr PM9.  If you like kydex holsters and want to wear concealed, look at the thin kydex holsters made by FIST.  I wear mine just to the right of my zipper and it is suprisingly comfortable and does not "print" unless I'm doing a backbend.

If you're wanting to carry around the back, look at the belt scabbard by Kramer.  Great holsters as well.

Good luck, happy hunting.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#6]
comp-tacs are nice if you consider kydex ones

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 8:28:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:55:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 sitting under my tree right now.. *COUGH*

Couple more days and I'll let you know how that goes lol
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Two of my friends who carry 1911's every day swear by the Versamax II
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:03:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Safariland 560 (I think) or 561 (can't remember).  It's called the Custom Fit.  Great holster and I get sub 1.5 second draws with it while wearing the obligatory photographer's vest (As a comparison I draw under 1 second with my IPSC rig).

After that, the $19.95, Uncle Mike's/Fobus that "click" on the trigger guard are great too.  After all, the holster needs to keep the gun from falling out and not profile.  After that, who cares.  I'm 6'2" and weigh 225.  I can put a 1911 in the front pocket of my jeans and you wouldn't know it.  

Good luck!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:16:06 AM EDT
[#11]
i am nuts i make my own, its lots of fun and i have a few designs that work for different clothes. i cant carry so i just make them try them at the range, then if they work i put them away or mod them till they get better or worse. about 10 years ago i made a belt slide for my bikail that worked really well. i was at a range with it and a cop liked it so much he bought it from me for 30 bucks.

i dont have any decent pics, but i might try to take some
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:41:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the Wilson IWB Featherweight (you can use it for any slide length).  Also the Milt Sparks line of holsters are pretty popular as well for CCW.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:58:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the VMII. I tried the Milt Sparks Watch Six, but it positions the gun further down than the VM II. The barrel (bottom of holster) had a tendency to dig in on the Watch Six.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I have a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2 sitting under my tree right now.. *COUGH*

Couple more days and I'll let you know how that goes lol

I can tell you I love mine.  Like another poster mentioned above, I appreciate the closely-located belt loops when I have to shift the holster forward or backward a bit.  The VMII is pretty much stuck where you put it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top