Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2005 5:24:57 PM EDT
Looking to buy a 1911 A1.  Is is worth is to pay 1000-1500 for a baer or wilson over the others (springfield, kimber?)  Is the extra price for non-MIM parts?  

Thanks,
Ric
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#1]
My opinion - get a SA milspec for about 500.

After having a blast with it, go look at the $$ 1911s and decide for yourself.

For me. the answer so far has been no.

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:11:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
There are SO many different ways to go.

I have a custom built on a SA Milspec, several Colts that have been customized, an SVI hicap .40, and a STI open gun on the way.  Also owned a series 1 Kimber.

Based on my experience, I would not build on another milspec.  I'd use either a Capian or a new series 70 Colt.  You'll be much happier with the end result.

A Kimber (full of MIM parts) will probably do just fine, but avoid the internal extractor and the series 2 safety system - too many problems with them.  That leave the 25th anniversary edition or Hilton Yam's limited run of Kimbers, unless you want a Warrior.

A new series 80 Colt is an excellent base for a custom gun, whether just a few mods, or the full meal deal.  Great looking rollmark on the slide, comparitively few MIM parts.  

For an out-of-the-box gun, you can't go wrong with Baer and Rock River.  If you can afford it, Brown.

Wilson builds a great product, but IMO they are between the high-end Kimbers and the Baer/Rock River/Brown guns.

Check out

http://www.yostbonitz.com/

http://www.rogersprecision.com/

http://signaturegrade.com/

Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
"A Kimber (full of MIM parts) will probably do just fine, but avoid the internal extractor and the series 2 safety system "

Avoid internal extractors? Or do you mean to avoid the external ones.. (On Kimbers) The problems seem to be with the external ones.. I have never had a problem with the series 2 safety system, but I still would carry my old custom classic over my new series 2 saftey gun.

MIM parts are not hlaf as bad as many make them out to be.. But if they bug you, they can be replaced for not very much $$$ (in 1911 terms :) )

I'm a big Kimber fan, but I won't knock a 70,SA,STI,BEAR, or rock.. They are all wonderful wepons
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Based on my experience, I would not build on another milspec.  I'd use either a Capian or a new series 70 Colt.  You'll be much happier with the end result.

I'd like to hear more about that.  What was the deal with the Milspec?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top