Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 9:10:23 PM EDT
I'd like to upgrade the dinky sights on my milspec to some Novak types. How do you remove and re-stake the front post?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 1:02:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Removal is easy.

Fire up the dremel
Underneath the front sight you should be able to see where the sight post has been peened in.
Grind this area testing now and then to see if the old sight will pull straight up and out.
Get new sight cleaned and in the hole
I have used Red Locktite on them as well as peening the post
Holding it all togther is the tricky part. I used a se ov wood jaws in the vise to hold the slide and a clamp to hold the sight tight to the slide and then was a matter of using a small hammer with many light strikes to secure the new front sight.
There are fixtures out there you can buy to make this easier.

When you have the new sight secures clean any locktite up and smooth the bottom of the post so the barrel bushiing will fit again.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top