Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 7:54:29 PM EDT
I'm anxious to see how this gun measures up against the rest of the flock.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:15:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 9:37:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If the Taurus 1911 is to other 1911s what the Taurus Gaucho is to other SAA clones, I will just have to pass.  But no, I have not had the opportunity to ogle or fondle one.  Maybe I will be pleasantly surprised....

Woody
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#3]
No, I have not nor will I touch anything they have made.
I have seen and heard far too many nightmares about their products.

If you are trying to buy a lower priced piece look at S/A or S&W.
I have no first hand with the S&W but many seem to be happy with them and have found good deals out there with a little research.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 10:42:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No, I have not nor will I touch anything they have made.
I have seen and heard far too many nightmares about their products.

Hmmm, I've never really had a problem with the ones I've owned/own.  I had a Taurus 92 (Beretta 92 copy) that was 100% reliable, and every bit as accurate as my Berettas.  A model 85 in .38spl would still be in the stable if my wife had liked it.  I currently have one of the 905 revolvers (9mm) that has yet to have a problem.  Hell, with a lifetime warranty, they should fix any problems.  So far, I haven't had to rely on that.

BUT, like I said earlier, their Gaucho just doesn't feel right.  The hammer geometry is different from an SAA or any copy I have held.  I'm just afraid that their 1911 won't be as forgiving when it comes to swapping parts in and out.  For that alone there are better alternatives.  The SA GI models are only about $30 more and make a nice platform for building whatever one wants to build.

IMHO, YMMV.

Woody
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I touched one at SHOT last year, and I have been feverishly washing my hands since.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 7:08:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I had a chance to handle one, and it was like it was manufactured by two different companies.  The slide was compairable to a kimber, with heinie sights standard, but the frame assembly looked like a poor casting, and the parts all looked like they were MIM.  I believe retail will be under $500, so I'm sure they will sell.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top