Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/15/2005 6:15:40 PM EDT
I've searched a bit and can't seem to find a place where to get one of these.

I saw a few guys who have Caspians with the extended slide release but they were stainless in color.  Any help would be wunnerful!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:24:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Nevermind I just found the link to www.midwayusa.com and they had it there.  Awesome store :D
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 5:38:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I prefer the Wilson Bulletproof...it's a damn good SS
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Brownells carries a wide variety.

Get a forged machined extractor.  EGW, Wilson Bulletproof, Ed Brown are all good
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 4:54:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Didn't order one yet as I wanted to see replies. But midway gave me an idea on price.  I will check out Brownells.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:44:41 PM EDT
[#5]
EGW is one of the best out there, made from tool steel for about $20 from Brownells. Nevermind I posted in haste. You said extended.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 2:46:43 PM EDT
[#6]
You want an extended slide stop??
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:47:02 PM EDT
[#7]
What's your reason for an extended slide stop.?

IMO, this is a solution in search of a problem.

#1 problem I've seen with them is bouncing up during recoil and locking the slide back when the magazine still has cartridges in it.

I suppose this could be minimized using a deeper detent, but perhaps not.

Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
My problem with the Ext. stop was it NOT locking open after last shot.

Fast trip to the grinder took care of that
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Extended as in extended grip.  To hit the slide stop I have to reposition my hand as it is.  If it was slightly extended I wouldn't have to--are these not a good idea to get?  SA has them on some of their models.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Extended as in extended grip.  To hit the slide stop I have to reposition my hand as it is.  If it was slightly extended I wouldn't have to--are these not a good idea to get?  SA has them on some of their models.

Deleted...don't want to start a war.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:18:07 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using Wilson extended slidestops for years without a single problem. YMMV, of course.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:28:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

So does Nighthawk.

Personally, I use the slide release method myself so I know why you want one.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 2:07:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Personally, I use the slide release method myself so I know why you want one.

.................. if it ain't broke don't fix it

I could not agree more.

While I might use the slide release method for reloads, I have personally never seen a need for an "Extended" version. But, to each his own. A few high-end manufacturers make them so there must be a reason for them. Since when do 1911 owners ever leave their pistols alone anyways?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:19:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
While I might use the slide release method for reloads...

In the space of one day you have admitted to both using the slide release for reloading AND using a weapon mounted light.  

HERETIC!!!

How dare you suggest that there might be different ways of doing things !!?

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 3:53:50 PM EDT
[#16]
*incoming noobish question*  What is the "slide release" method?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Dropping the slide on a loaded mag by thumbing the slide lock lever, instead grabbing the back of the slide & slingshotting it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
While I might use the slide release method for reloads...

In the space of one day you have admitted to both using the slide release for reloading AND using a weapon mounted light.  

HERETIC!!!

How dare you suggest that there might be different ways of doing things !!?

Link Posted: 1/2/2006 9:12:06 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dropping the slide on a loaded mag by thumbing the slide lock lever, instead grabbing the back of the slide & slingshotting it.

Oh, well see that's what I've been doing.  That's why I want the slightly longer release.  I have to reposition my hands as it is now.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 1:30:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Oh, well see that's what I've been doing.  That's why I want the slightly longer release.  I have to reposition my hands as it is now.  Thanks.

I used to do that, but I use the slingshot method now.  I think tripping the slide stop is probably slightly faster, but it's also a fine motor skill, where I'm big and clumsy, so I want to use gross motor skills as much as possible, especially if I might be in a situation where some guy might be firing back.

Also, sometimes, I carry a pistol that's not a 1911 (I know, I know, but it gets darned HOT in TX in the summer) that lacks a slide stop with a lever, so I can use the same method to do reloads with both the 1911 and the itty bitty Walther PPK.

I've had problems with the extended slide stop.  I've tried them a couple of times back when I used the slide stop for reloads, but I kept finding, especially with a thumbs forward grip, it'd really get in the way, and sometimes, it'd lock the slide back when I didn't want it to.  With the regular kind, I've never had that problem.

But, like anything with 1911s, there are about a bajillion preferences and yours is as valid as mine.  I just thought I'd toss out some of my observations as points to ponder.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top