Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/10/2005 7:46:59 AM EDT
OK.
Well now that I have become a 1911 addict I thought I solved my CCW debate and chose a Commanders slide and Officers frame but then I really screwed up!
How did I do this you ask?

I went to a couple local shops and while poking around I picked up a Bobtail .45 (which I had never held before).  After holding it, fondling it I no longer saw a real benifit to carrying a officers frame as the bobtail makes it as easy to conceal and as comfortable to carry if not more so.

I played with the Nighthawk and the Ed Brown Kobra Carry.
They both felt GREAT in my hands but a small part of me kinda liked the snakeskin of the Ed Brown more (could have just been as its a new thing to me) but another part of me liked that the Nighthawk holds 8 while the Ed Brown holds 7.

A pro to the Ed Brown is the Snakeskin which seems like it would be less likely to wear and tear clothes (is the Snakeskin type finish something Nighthawk would offer?  I know they really try and make things to your specs)  A advantage with Nighthawk to me would be that they are more willing to do mods in the shop.  I  need a short trigger which I know they would install and I also would like to get snakeskin or some type of serrations on the front of the slide (Ed Brown made it clear they wont do either so Nighthawk would save me money with that part of it as I wouldnt have to deal with shipping it again and the extra time away from me in a smiths hands.)

What are the thoughts of some of those of you who own or have owned these pieces?
I will be buying one VERY soon (before New Year) as my primary ccw piece but I really have no clue as to which Id rather own at first (Im sure over time I will have both)

Many people say these guns are too much go get a full house gun by a quality smith and I do plan on doing that as well BUT 1)  Most smiths have wait lists from 1-7 years  2)  a true custom is going to run at least 3 grand if not more.  I can have and carry one of these within 30 days.

Any help from those with real world experience with both of these would be greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 8:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I've been following the CCO thread and just responded there, so I won't repeat that.  While I don't own either of the bobtailed guns, I've played with a couple Cobra Carry pistols and a couple of non-bobbed Nighthawks.  They are both quality pistols, but my vote would be for the Nighthawk.  

As you mentioned, Nighthawk will make it the way YOU want it.  On the snakeskin issue, call Nighthawk and ask them what the frontstrap options are.  I have my doubts that they would do the snakeskin, but they may have something worked out with Brown, or they may have other options.  

You also mentioned capacity.  That's just a matter of which mags you want to use.  I believe Nighthawk ships with 8 round ACT mags now.  Not sure what Brown is doing, but I'd guess Brown 7 round mags.

On a side note, who in Michigan is carrying both Brown & Nighthawk.  I'm from Midland originally and nobody around there ever carried higher end 1911's.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The capacity issue is simply a matter of using a different magazine.  Get a Tripp, Wilson or CMC and you've got 8 rounds for the Brown.  

I don't think you can go wrong with either.  I like the bobtail pistols and I'm having one built right now.  It should be done any day now.  Mine is being one on a Springfield Champion pistol and between the 4" barrel and the rest of the package, I think it will make one hell of a CCW piece.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:01:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Couldn't you just get the Ed Brown and then buy Wilson 8 round mags?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 4:22:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes that is what i would do.
I really think I am going to go with the Kobra over the Nightforce.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:32:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Like Cliffy said, just add a higher capacity magazine.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:15:54 PM EDT
[#6]
i have a Talon II bobtail from Nighthawk, and i love the gun. the reason i picked this one is that i was able to hold it in my hands at the time.

now i have played with guns that had been snakeskined, and i do think i like it more than standard checkering. so i would either buy the Brown or buy the Nighthawk and have Keil Keller snake skin the grip.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:23:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
i have a Talon II bobtail from Nighthawk, and i love the gun. the reason i picked this one is that i was able to hold it in my hands at the time.

now i have played with guns that had been snakeskined, and i do think i like it more than standard checkering. so i would either buy the Brown or buy the Nighthawk and have Keil Keller snake skin the grip.

just got done with a 4day defensive handgun course with the snake skinned bobtailed commander. It was 'fun'
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top