Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/2/2005 11:39:05 AM EDT
Who has held and shot a 1911 with a Bobtailed grip? What does it feel like and is it esier or harder to control the pistol with hot loads? I am curious because I am now officialy a 1911 fanatic after having two and shooting them I realize with the exception of my CZ 97B I shoot them better than anything else. Any how I am considering a 1911 with a Bobtail but do not want one if there is no real advantage. Tahnks for any info.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 11:51:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I am having one built right now.  It should be back any day and I'll post a review.  I have handled them and I really do like the way they fit.  The concept of eliminating the sharp corner at the back does seem to make sense for concealed carry.

I do, however, know one gunsmith who thinks they are unreliable.  He seems to think the officer's size mainspring can't take cocked and locked for extended periods like a full size one can.  I'm skeptical of this point of view, but he's pretty firm on it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 12:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ed Brown Kobra Karry and Terry Tussey rounded butt -

the bottom of my hand barely felt the bump on the Ed Brown Kobra Karry when i held it, it kinda dug in a little when fired though.   no such distraction with the Tussey that i got to shoot.  just my personal preference, the guy that owned the Kobra Karry liked the reference for his hand that the little angled "bump" made for him.  the only real plus i could give the bobtail was the broken up print under your shirt, not as noticable.

i liked the Tussey rounded butt better, helps break up the pistols printing under your shirt (not as much as the Brown).... very nice to hold in the hand though.  i imagine it would really help with a smaller 1911 if you wanted to get rid of some of the corners but still keep a little more real-estate than a full-on bobtail job on your pistol frame.

all of the shooters had pretty big hands, so your issues might differ if you have smaller hands.

we shot a mix of factory loads, sorry no experience with hot loads here.

my two cents

ETA: a spring is mostly worn out by repeated compression/release of compression, not by the amount of time compressed.  the argument about the Officer model mainspring being unreliable is moot... if it were true, then Officer model 1911s would be unreliable.  
they are not, the designs' popularity speaks for itself.
just because he's a gunsmith doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 2:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
the one I installed shoots comfortably enough after 150 rounds test fire.  I have it sent off to Robar right now to have it refinished.  I put the bobtail on a 1991 commander.  The install was really straight forward.  Course in installing the housing I had to go through the rest of the pistol since I was going to have it refinished.  Even sanding down the grips to the new contor was real straight forward.  All ion all with the carry bevel and install was a six hour job for me.  Will do a better range report when I get back if wanted.

aim straight and have fun
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 10:53:22 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I am having one built right now.  It should be back any day and I'll post a review.  I have handled them and I really do like the way they fit.  The concept of eliminating the sharp corner at the back does seem to make sense for concealed carry.

I do, however, know one gunsmith who thinks they are unreliable.  He seems to think the officer's size mainspring can't take cocked and locked for extended periods like a full size one can.  I'm skeptical of this point of view, but he's pretty firm on it.

updates?

edit:  You posted this in another (similar) thread and it sounds like you and I have the same type of gun (I have the PX9142L, 4in bbl, full frame).  You?
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:38:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

updates?

edit:  You posted this in another (similar) thread and it sounds like you and I have the same type of gun (I have the PX9142L, 4in bbl, full frame).  You?

The one I have is an odd ball.  Gunsite used to build thier own 1911 pistols from Springfield frames and slides.  Mine is such a gun.  Its a steel frame Champion size with an original officers style bushing and plug.  It has a fairly radical melt job and there is not a sharp edge on the gun.  The previous owner botched a beavertail installation (no, it really wasn't me) so I wanted to get that fixed.  While I was at it, I also wanted a better set of sights and since the original was pinned, it was going to take milling anyway.  I figured since I was doing all that, I may as well go totally crazy.  I am replacing the bushing barrel with a heavy barrel with reverse plug and GI style guise rod.  I'm also having the bobtail done.  The frame is being hard chromed and the slide will be deep blued.  

Right now, the gun is still at the refinisher.  My 'smith sent it to Checkmate finishing down in FL and we're just waiting for it to get back.  Everything else is done, including welding up the tang and fitting the Browns so it will look and function right.  As soon as its back, I'll post pics.
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 11:59:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

updates?

The one I have is an odd ball.  Gunsite used to build thier own 1911 pistols from Springfield frames and slides.  Mine is such a gun.  Its a steel frame Champion size with an original officers style bushing and plug.  It has a fairly radical melt job and there is not a sharp edge on the gun.  The previous owner botched a beavertail installation (no, it really wasn't me) so I wanted to get that fixed.  While I was at it, I also wanted a better set of sights and since the original was pinned, it was going to take milling anyway.  I figured since I was doing all that, I may as well go totally crazy.  I am replacing the bushing barrel with a heavy barrel with reverse plug and GI style guise rod.  I'm also having the bobtail done.  The frame is being hard chromed and the slide will be deep blued.  

Right now, the gun is still at the refinisher.  My 'smith sent it to Checkmate finishing down in FL and we're just waiting for it to get back.  Everything else is done, including welding up the tang and fitting the Browns so it will look and function right.  As soon as its back, I'll post pics.

cool, thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#7]
i have had many 1911's, and my current carry gun is a nighthawk tallon II bobtail. i really like the way the bobtail fits my hand. it curves in at just the right spot. it is all personal preference really, but i haven't really found to many people that didn't like the way it feels.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
i have had many 1911's, and my current carry gun is a nighthawk tallon II bobtail. i really like the way the bobtail fits my hand. it curves in at just the right spot. it is all personal preference really, but i haven't really found to many people that didn't like the way it feels.

thats it?!  what kind of review is that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top