Posted: 11/26/2005 10:26:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Springfield Armory Operator or TRP

i think that the Operator or Warrior would be fine though
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 12:34:18 PM EDT
[#2]
1st Choice - Kimber Warrior
2nd Choice - Springfield Armory MC Operator (ditch the crappy grips and ILS system)
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 2:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag...cause I also want to know.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 2:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I have an MC Operator I purchased for $919.  I have shot about 1000 rounds and it seems to hold up fine. I use the factory magazines, a couple of Novaks, a couple of McCormicks, a couple of Ed BrownsWilsons in 7, 8 and 10 round configurations using a huge variety of ammo from different manufacturers (HP, FMJ, even semi WC) and it spits out the lead inside of a 4-5 inch group at 25 yards.  I handled both the Warrior and this Operator (which I obviously bought) and was more impressed with how it feels in my hand and the final fit of slide to frame.  I would definitely recommend this pistol if asked.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 5:43:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd get the Kimber.  I had a bad experience with an SA Loaded.  Every manufacturer puts out lemons though.  So this isn't based on any "facts" of any kind, just a personal opinion.  Also, isn't the Warrior the copy of what the MEU SOC uses?  That would be another reason for picking the Kimber.

My everyday, shoot a lot, get sweated on and carried a lot pistol(s) is my CQB and Kobra Carry though .  They're expensive and custom, but they're working gals.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd get the Warrior.  That's what I'll do if (when) I decide I have to have a railed 1911.  Of course it will go well with my Custom and soon to be twin.  The next step up IMHO would be a RRA rail gun.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 8:43:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'd get the Kimber.  I had a bad experience with an SA Loaded.  Every manufacturer puts out lemons though.  So this isn't based on any "facts" of any kind, just a personal opinion.  Also, isn't the Warrior the copy of what the MEU SOC uses?  That would be another reason for picking the Kimber.

My everyday, shoot a lot, get sweated on and carried a lot pistol(s) is my CQB and Kobra Carry though .  They're expensive and custom, but they're working gals.

The Warrior is a copy of the DET-1 pistol.  The MEU(SOC) guys are using Springfield Armory Professionals.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:03:54 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Warrior is a copy of the DET-1 pistol.  The MEU(SOC) guys are using Springfield Armory Professionals.

Thanks for the clarification.  What's the difference between those two units?  I thought that the Marine Expeditionary Unit attached to Special Operations Command WAS Detachment-1??   And I thought they were using the Warrior.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 9:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That is incorrect.  The MEU(SOC) guys are using left over USGI frames, Springfield slides, Nolwin barrels, Brown grip safety, King's thumb safety, C&S hammer/sear/disconnect, Videki trigger,Novak sights and Wilson 7 round magazines.  They are built by the 2112 armorers at PWS, Quantico.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:21:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:24:54 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is incorrect.  The MEU(SOC) guys are using left over USGI frames, Springfield slides, Nolwin barrels, Brown grip safety, King's thumb safety, C&S hammer/sear/disconnect, Videki trigger,Novak sights and Wilson 7 round magazines.  They are built by the 2112 armorers at PWS, Quantico.

Nope, tons of threads on 1911Forums about the MEU(SOC) guys getting the Professionals recently.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 10:51:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Nope, tons of threads on 1911Forums about the MEU(SOC) guys getting the Professionals recently.

Your search sills must be better than mine (not uncommon).  I found the thread that announces the contract, but the last post in that thread was in June.  There is another thread that discussed it but, like the first, hasn't been active in a while with no field reports.  Are you sure they have actually been deployed?

BTW... I had forgotten about the Pro winning that contract so you are right about that.  I would like to know if they have actually been deployed and how they are working out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 11:14:30 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What's the difference between those two units?  I thought that the Marine Expeditionary Unit attached to Special Operations Command WAS Detachment-1??

I can answer this one.

Det 1 is the Marine Corps contribution to SOCOM. It's detached from the rest of the USMC command structure and tasked directly by SOCOM.

A MEU(SOC) is a Marine Expeditionary Unit (Special Operations Capable). A MEU can be any size and composition of Marine units, but it's not part of Special Operations Command.

Thank you very much!  At any rate, at least they're using 1911s .  Smart guys .
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have seen both MEUSOC pistols made by Kimber, and springfield.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your search sills must be better than mine (not uncommon).  I found the thread that announces the contract, but the last post in that thread was in June.  There is another thread that discussed it but, like the first, hasn't been active in a while with no field reports.  Are you sure they have actually been deployed?

BTW... I had forgotten about the Pro winning that contract so you are right about that.  I would like to know if they have actually been deployed and how they are working out.

I think Pat Rogers (may have been someone else) said the guys that have 'em loved 'em.
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/27/2005 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Operator would be my first choice, but I don't think you could go wrong with either one!
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 2:58:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Tagged. I'm thinking of giving up the Sig completely for another 1911. I likes the Operator.

Anybody find any deals on them lately?
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 5:50:09 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Operator would be my first choice, but I don't think you could go wrong with either one!

Ditto!  I want an MC Operator in a bad, bad way.    There were three different vendors selling them at a local gunshow yesterday for $899...  had to have the girlfriend hold my wallet for me.  
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I'd go with the Operator. TRP, or the MC in the Warrior's price range. I aboslutely hate the Pachmyr grips, and the green would have to go as well. I wish SA offered the MC in black with wood grips. Or even better, just bring back the Loaded Operator they foolishly killed off.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I'd lean towards the Warrior over the Operator largely because I've just always preferred Kimbers over Springfields.  I also greatly prefer the ambi-safety of the Warrior to that of the Operator.
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:23:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Between the guns that are being discussed, I have the hots for the MC Operator, so that would get my vote.  

There is another option... I'm assuming you don't want a hi-cap 1911 (Para Nite Tac) but according to their new 2006 catalog they will be offering their single stack 1911s with rails.

paraord.com/pages/catalog.html
You have to DL it, but then you get to see all the pretty pictures!  
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 4:24:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:02:16 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Tagged. I'm thinking of giving up the Sig completely for another 1911. I likes the Operator.

No, no, no, you dont give up a Sig for a 1911.  You SAVE for a 1911 while you keep the Sig.

Oh, and you already know where to buy an Operator
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I agree that those Pachmyr grips on the MC Operator are ugly, and I've been looking and looking for something to replace them with.  Yet, by the same token, they are always grippy even when the gun is wet or my hands are sweaty.  There's something to be said for that in a combat handgun, ya know?  

Guess that's why the Marines use 'em on theirs
Link Posted: 11/28/2005 6:56:07 PM EDT
[#27]
You need a Desert Dweller (refined Warrior).  Here's mine customized by Pistolsmith Mike O'hara.

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:58:53 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, no, no, you dont give up a Sig for a 1911.  You SAVE for a 1911 while you keep the Sig.

Oh, and you already know where to buy an Operator

I'm trying. The Sig points nice and shoots terrific, but it's been relegated to the safe for no reason other than it's a double action. After joining the 1911 clab again, nothing makes me happy but an SA first shot.

You spotted those on the website, didja?  If I can scratch the money, he'll get it the next day.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Warrior.
My first 1911 and I really, really really enjoy the trigger pull and the power you havein your hands packing 9 rounds of .45 ACP .230gr. Hardball.

OR

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 2:17:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Why not the Kimber TLE/RL?  Same as the Warrior but you gain front strap checkering.  That being said, I chose the Springfield Pro Rail.  If you have the extra cash I say do it, do it.  It rulezzzz!!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:01:45 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Why not the Kimber TLE/RL?  

I can think of two reasons

1) Internal firing pink safety
2) External extractor
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 3:10:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Edit:  TLE/RL II  
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#33]
What kind of work did your gunsmith do.What brand grips are those.Nice gun
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 12:46:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Opps!  Double tap.
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 12:56:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
What kind of work did your gunsmith do.What brand grips are those.Nice gun

If you're asking me:

It's called the Desert Dweller/Ultimate Warrior:

-Golfball frontstrap and MSH w/integrated lanyard loop by Chuck Rogers
-Cylinder and Slide fire control group
-trigger adjusted to 4lbs
-CMC grip safety
-genuine Novak rear w/tritium
-Wilson extractor, firing pin, firing pin stop
-spare tool steel slide stop
-Simonich Gunner grips
-every part fitted for reliability
-beadblasted and refinished in KG GunKote British Brown
-supplied with 2 Wilson Combat 8 round mags
by pistolsmith Mike O'hara (four-two-five) four one seven-5952
Link Posted: 11/30/2005 1:48:38 PM EDT
[#36]
the new TLE/RLE II has internal extractor and can be had for mid $800s

Link Posted: 11/30/2005 2:21:02 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
the new TLE/RLE II has internal extractor and can be had for mid $800s

img494.imageshack.us/img494/7117/small453yk.jpg

Still has that pesky Schwartz safety though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 10:40:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Springfield Loaded Operator is the way to go......my opinion of course.  A friend of mine owns a Warrior, and parts of the slide and the safety have worn down to bare metal.  The special coating looks cheap to me, kinda like krylon .  Ive had the usual "shoots low" problem and sent it back.  Other than that its functioned flawlessly.

Link Posted: 12/11/2005 11:34:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Have you given consideration to any of the more custom railed guns, Jarhead_22? I just hefted a Nighthawk custom on Friday and pretty much fell in love.

The Warrior's up there on my list of railed guns but I'm thinking about the more pricey alternatives too.

This is just a long winded way of saying "tag"  
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:08:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 12:38:26 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 1:24:09 PM EDT
[#42]
I've ordered a Steel Challege Special from Bladetech for 64.95 for my Operator w/ x200a.  Cost is 64.95 if you order from BT themselves.  They are on back order for 6 weeks as of last week however.  Numerous colors available, as well as their drop/offset attachment.  I've had good experiences with their other holsters, but not with this one.  Hope this helps...

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:06:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Springfield Armory Pro Rail RULEZZ!!!!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top