Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2005 10:34:04 PM EDT
Any thoughts on this model Colt came out with? I am thinking of just buying it too put in the safe as an investment. They seem to be harder and harder too find. I would appreciate any opinions on this model on buying as a investment. I wouldn't be buying it too shoot it, I already have some shooter 1911's .  thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 3:38:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Do a search and you'll see you're not the only one thinking about buying, and stashing it in a safe as an investment.
I believe the collective thinking is they will not appreciate much for collectors, since a real USGI .45 can be found for just a few hundred bucks more.

If it floats your boat, it is a beautifully finished Colt .45 with all the proper parts and markings...and it will be an heirloom for the kids some day.

It will hold its' value but its' probably not going to make you a lot of $$$ if you sell it in 5-10 years....but you never know for sure!
Link Posted: 10/31/2005 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Do a search and you'll see you're not the only one thinking about buying, and stashing it in a safe as an investment.
I believe the collective thinking is they will not appreciate much for collectors, since a real USGI .45 can be found for just a few hundred bucks more.

If it floats your boat, it is a beautifully finished Colt .45 with all the proper parts and markings...and it will be an heirloom for the kids some day.

It will hold its' value but its' probably not going to make you a lot of $$$ if you sell it in 5-10 years....but you never know for sure!

You are NOT going to find a 1911 [not A1] USGI in excellent condition for a "few" hundred bucks more unless you buy one that the seller knows nothing about. I doubt that they will appreciate all that much but I also doubt they will drop much in price. I bought 2, shoot one and put the other one up to give to the kiddo later. 9 hundred bucks for a high quality 1911 is not all that much, and if you had one refinished in Carbonia blue it would cost you hundreds of dollars just to blue it. It is a gorgous pistol that shoots very well and since the steel is MUCH better then the old stuff from the WW1 era you don't have to worry about problems cropping up. Many are sold to USGI collectors who want to shoot their oldsters but do not want to destroy a collectable by breaking a piece that would be impossible to find.

IMHO it is a hell of a lot closer to the original then the WW2 replica Colt did first. Not all that impressed with that one, and I'm not going to bother looking for one. You will not be disappointed with the WW1reissue tho.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Agree with fxntime 100% about the price difference..though I was not trying to compare new apples to vintage oranges.
And from what I've seen, another $200-$300  can get you in the game for a USGI gun with history...though not a great looking one admittedly.

I stand by my thoughts: It's a beautifull piece well worth the money. But I believe I am correct in believing it's not a great investment.

But I don't think Colt ever intended it to be .

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.....that's what's important IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 4:57:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Agree with fxntime 100% about the price difference..though I was not trying to compare new apples to vintage oranges.
And from what I've seen, another $200-$300  can get you in the game for a USGI gun with history...though not a great looking one admittedly.

I stand by my thoughts: It's a beautifull piece well worth the money. But I believe I am correct in believing it's not a great investment.

But I don't think Colt ever intended it to be .

Buy it, shoot it, enjoy it.....that's what's important IMHO.

You can get into the USGI gun market for the same price or less if we are talking about 1911A1s. I have a few I picked up for 5 to 700 that are pretty nice. Those are 1941 Colt A1s, both made in December. Different inspector stamp on one [WB] One went to European theatre[FJA] the later one was sent to the South Pacific. [WB]

I have seen few 1911s and the ones that were decent and undicked with were 1500 on up [and up] Most however were refinished either by arsenal or by "someone". Still want good money for them but the true collector won't pay an arm and a leg for one tho arsenal refinishes are going up in price too. You also will probably get a "frosty" BBL if you find a decent one. Corrosive ammo was the norm and it [corrosion] set in quickly. If you are looking for a 1911 to SHOOT buy the repro, it is worth it as long as you remember to watch for hammer bite. There was a reason that they shortened the hammer on the A1. If you want to collect, find a real USGI, but realize if you have a decent one you should take appropriate care of it to keep it's value. One aftermarket replaced part on an otherwise correct gun will hurt it's value quite a lot. [If you have not seen a 1911 reissue in person do so if possible. You will not find a sweeter looking gun for under a grand elsewhere.
Link Posted: 11/1/2005 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
So is Colt still making these repros? Or was it just a limited run?
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 3:37:36 AM EDT
[#6]
when you look at the money that goes into doing the Carbona (?sp, the orig method of bluing on the 1911), it really is a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Still making short runs of the WW1 reissue. I have 15xx and 23xx the 23xx was bought last summer so they have to be in the 3000s easy. Only making 4K of them. The WW2 has been sold out for a couple of years. If you sent a 1911 to get carbonia blued it would be in the area of 200+ bucks. It is NOT a mass production deal by any means, and is not a dip like most people imagine. More of a baking in a Oven in charcoal and bone mix with whatever they add to it. In the light it is pretty darn cool. Bits of yellows, blue/purples hint at you in the sun. It looks blue til it moves a bit, very sharp and different. I doubt it will ever be a finish that one could be mass produced properly.[Nowadays I mean, too labor intensive and time consuming]
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 10:13:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Well ,bought one today.It has not arrived yet but I think will keep it a safe queen .Who knows one day Maybe it will turn out too be a investment gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2005 10:26:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Well ,bought one today.It has not arrived yet but I think will keep it a safe queen .Who knows one day Maybe it will turn out too be a investment gun.

investment gun I dont think a new repo will bring much more than you paid for it in the future. with that said, enjoy it for what it is, one hell of a battle weapon
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Sorry guys at the time of posting I had the right pic up, Was messing around with gallery and moving stuff around .I don't know how my HK pic came up. deleted it
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I would have to shoot it myself. I do not own firearms I will not shoot but to each his own. I almost ordered a Sgt York comemorative 1911 and guess what I would have shot it if I did order it. I might have even used it for CCW just because. Like I said though to each his own.
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#12]
What serial number is yours [first 2] Is it in the 3000 range?
Link Posted: 11/13/2005 5:58:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
What serial number is yours [first 2] Is it in the 3000 range?

It is in the 27 range
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
All right. I got it .Now do I shoot it or just stash it in the safe. Man this thing is nice. I don't know if I should keep it as a investment. or shoot the hell out of it. I already have a few 1911's to shoot.
i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/tracker_/Picture.jpg

Are you serious?

-First a little life lesson. Money doesn't buy happiness. I know you hear that alot but it is honestly true. The gun in my opinion, isn't going to be worth anything over $5,000 in your or my lifetime. This is a question you have to ask yourself. Is $5,000 for my grandchildren worth not having some fun?

You paid perhaps less than $1500 for the pistol. Think about it a little more. Your treating this pistol as if it was as much an investment as you stocks, home, cars, and retirerment fund. Its not. If you shoot the darn thing hopefully it would be a fun experience. It's not as if you shoot it the pistol is automatically worth $0.01.

Even if you do decide to keep the pistol unfired, what will become of it? If you sell it you will just get more money. What are you going to do with more money? Buy another pistol? If you keep it to pass down through the generations, someone is going to break down and shoot the darn thing.

Me, whats to loose? Shoot it and don't even think twice. If you honest to god want it as an investment, look to something else aside from guns to do your investing with. Thats my advice. Guns are made to shoot and enjoy, so you might as well follow along and have some fun.

(I am super jealous of you!!!!!!!!)
I wanted one of those really bad but, I opted for the Kimber Warrior instead. Perhaps I might be able to get one some other time. Have fun!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 1:49:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Is this a GUN, or a Painting?  

Shoot that baby!  
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#16]
am i missing somehting or should there be something besides an hk in that pic??
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 11:08:27 PM EDT
[#17]
+1
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 4:18:24 PM EDT
[#18]

Float your boat?

Colt WW-1 Repro 31XX, Hogue Walnut Double Diamond Repro Grips.

Dark Blue Carbonia Finish looks jet black-brushed blue and is perfect.

Currently back at Colt's for some minor function issues under warranty.

Can't wait to it it back for more range use and lotsa T L C!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:30:10 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a guy here that has original 1911's from WWII that are fetching a pretty penny. This guy has guns from Remington-Rand, Singer, International Harvester, Colt, and Thompson. Even the pitted and rusty versions are going for top dollar. I know I am going to buy one of the repro Colts myself as a souvenir.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:11:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 12:47:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
All right. I got it .Now do I shoot it or just stash it in the safe. Man this thing is nice. I don't know if I should keep it as a investment. or shoot the hell out of it. I already have a few 1911's to shoot.
i34.photobucket.com/albums/d109/tracker_/Picture.jpg

I see an HK.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top