Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2005 11:27:59 AM EDT
im looking at buying a springfield.  but im undecided on which barrel length to go with.  this is my first handgun and it will be a gun for every occasion.  i basically want it to be an all around gun, but mostly for plinking and target parctice.

to my understanding a 5" barrel will have slightly higher velocities and should be easier to aim.
correct me if im worng.  is there anything else i am missing that makes the 5" better

im leaning towards the 5", im not worried about carrying or concealing or anything.  since i live in damn IL i cant do either, unless i become a gangster.  i would like to hear what you all think

thanks in advance - paul
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:52:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 3" and a 5" the 5" is a bit easier to shoot only because the grip is longer. The average shooter won't be able to see a difference in accuracy between a 4" and 5" Recoil is actually about the same too. That being said if Iwas not going to carry it, I'd get the 5" just because that is what a "real" 1911 is.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:00:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The grip on the SA 4" is the same as the 5" however for your first handgun I would recomend the 5" if you get a 1911 and internal extractor. I would get one that had all standard 1911 parts and nothing propriatry. Just My two cents.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 12:11:53 PM EDT
[#3]
If concealment isn't a concern, get a 5".  The 4" guns are very nice and they do balance very well.  I'm a fan of the Springfield Champion, but if there isn't a chance you're going to carry, just get the 5".  I agree with GenghisKhan about getting a "real" 1911, meaning internal extractor.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure the grip is the same? I know Kimber better, so I don't really know. Kimber has 2 4" ones, one with the officers frame and one with the gov frame...
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#5]
The Springfield Champion is a 4" barrel with standard length grip.  The discontinued "Compact" was a 4" barrel with officers' length grip.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:02:03 PM EDT
[#7]
what kind of FPS will the 5" have over the 4"

im preety much sold on the 5", just curious on how much the 5" would help me IF i needed to use the gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top