Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2005 9:54:49 AM EDT
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I just haven't ever seen any 1911s with a similar finish to what many other manufacturers use for rust prevention. I know you can get 1911s readily available with chrome, stainless, blued, and any number of "paint" finishes. Just curious why most 1911 manufacturers don't offer any pistols with some thing similar to these types of finish for rust prevention? Glock and Walther use Tennifer which is extremely rust resistant, Smith & Wesson uses Melonite, and HK uses their "hostile environment" finish or whatever that is.

What about Black-T by Mr. Birdsong? Can anybody describe this type of finish to me? I hear it's the best for 1911s. Any idea what the cost and turn around time is with him?

Oh and is anybody here Finnish?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I would hazard a guess that it has to do with the nature of the pistol.  Not many people are going to alter the slide on a Glock, Walther or HK.  Hard  and expensive finishes are not wasted on these guns.  The average 1911 owner OTOH, is fairly likely to want to change some things out.  many of those changes would mean milling through a hard finish and the requirement for it to be refinished later anyway.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 11:13:09 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I would hazard a guess that it has to do with the nature of the pistol.  Not many people are going to alter the slide on a Glock, Walther or HK.  Hard  and expensive finishes are not wasted on these guns.  The average 1911 owner OTOH, is fairly likely to want to change some things out.  many of those changes would mean milling through a hard finish and the requirement for it to be refinished later anyway.  

That makes sense I suppose. Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:42:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Just make sure you have the gun just the way you want it before sending it to anyone to be refinished. It is also a good idea to have at least 500 rounds through it, the Black-T adds some thinkness to parts and makes them very tight. I sent a new Sig 220 down there and it was extremely tight when I got it back.  Walt Birdsong is a great guy to deal with. Turnaround used to be about three months, but he is a first come first serve business. He would let a pallet of Fed guns sit if yours got there first. Hate to quote you a price as it has been about nine years since I sent anything to him.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Best overall: Hard Chrome by Tripp's or by Horace at Ford's. Specifiy matte or polished flats.
Really cool: Black-T by Walter Birdsong
Horace at Ford's will also combine finishes. I have an original Series 70 Colt that was done with a Master blued slide and hard chromed frame. Looks GREAT!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Addendum: Unless your 1911 is going to see hard use, nothing beats a Master blued slide and hard chromed frame with polished  flats.
If however your 1911 is going to see hard use go all hard chromed. I prefer matte rounds with polished flats on slide and frame.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:11:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe they do it to keep the cost down to remain competitive.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Many people who buy 1911s aren't necessarily interested in the latest and greatest techno finish.  Bluing and Parkerizing are perfectly acceptable finishes for a 1911, so most makers offer them as a standard thing.  Paint (or "thermally cured polymer") is another inexpensive, utilitarian finish that is becoming common.

Hard chrome is a relatively expensive treatment and it's rare to see a factory 1911 come with it.  Before stainless became prevalent you'd see nickel plating done for corrosion resistance.

The guns you cited, especially the Glock and HK, are not representative of most of the guns sold today.  They have rust resistant finishes above and beyond 90% of the handguns currently made.
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Many people who buy 1911s aren't necessarily interested in the latest and greatest techno finish.  

Unless you're acidic like me
Link Posted: 10/8/2005 1:19:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Many people who buy 1911s aren't necessarily interested in the latest and greatest techno finish.  

Unless you're acidic like me

+1

Walter Birdsong's Black-T finish is remarkable both in it's asthetics and natural lubricity.
Virgil Tripp or Horace at Ford's do remarkable work as well.
I have had parkerized 1911s and currently have matte blued 1911s (two Yo-Bo 1* Elites).
The Black-T finish on my ADCO/RRA 1911 is amazing as is the 1911s I have had hard chromed, either all matte or polished flats and matte rounds.
I love 1911s and the final touch of a great finish adds to their overall beauty.
If anyone reading this would like some suggesetions feel free to IM me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top