Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/5/2005 8:58:16 AM EDT
I have a Brolin Arms P45c that is missing it's front sight.  The gun smith that I spoke with gave me some measurements (0.100 deep,0.0250 with) and told me that I probably needed a millett high profile or combat dovetail sight.

I called Millett to see if they had anything that matched and they do not have any records for Brolin and are not sher of what I nead.

Anny ideas of what I can do, or any knowledge of what front sight I need would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Got a pic?  It doesn't sound like a very common dovetail width, and I'm only guessing here, but it sounds like your smith might be a bit off.  
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I will try to get a pic later today.

nice dog !
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:19:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I hope this works!

no did not work
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:37:40 PM EDT
[#4]

This is what I bought to try and learn how to work on 1911 and hopefully billed something nice some day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:35:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Well, maybe your smith was right.  It's definitely pretty deep.  It would not be too hard to make a front sight, but you need a smith who would do it, and it needs to be measured properly, including the correct angle.  It's not something that would be regularly cataloged by a sight company.  If you were in Az., I would make one for you.  Did you ask your smith?  
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#6]
My smith was willing to make one for me, but it would cost $100 for him to do it.

He also told me about a place in the metroplex that has nothing but parts.  I went over there and found a sight that I hoped would work.  I gave them $2 for the sight, put it on and took it to the range, a tap hear and a tap there and it shoots almost dead on at 20 yards.

Now I have to find a mag that fits the commander frame that holds more that 5 rounds.  I do not know if this mag is messed up or what.  I tried a chip McCormick but it would not lock in, I do not know if the notch on the mag was not caching on the mag catch or what.  I could always suck it up and just get a mag that hangs out the bottom of the frame.

This is going to be a project for sheer. I will need to replace a few things to hopefully make it completely reliable.  Out of 45 ball and 50 hollow point bullets I had 2 stove pipes, 1 malfunction (slide not going all the way forward) and 2 slide not locking back on the last round (mag)

Over all I'm happy, It is different and shoots pretty good, not as good as my Sig, but for spending under $300 and getting something to learn about 1911 I do not think I did to bad!

Thanks for all the help!

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#7]
The last Brolin I saw had the same problem with mags.  The frame was out of spec.  I don't know if the mag release hole was in the wrong spot, or if the grip frame was too long.  Either way, the fix was to mill the grip frame down a little and refinish.  It could be done witha file though.  So, try some different mags in case it is in fact the mag.  If not, and it does it with more than one brand of mags, try a new mag release.  You can find them cheap on the used market.  If that still does not fix it, IM me and I'll tell you how to file it.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#8]
I know that I had to file a mag for a friend of mine.  The opening in the mag was not high enough to catch.  Do you think this could be th case hear?
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Definitely could be the case.  However, try a few mags.  A lot of times it's the frame.  If you can't get mags in from a couple different brands, start looking at the shelf in the mag release, and if you can eliminate that, try the frame.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 10:27:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for all of your help!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top