Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2005 6:38:26 PM EDT
I have a 1911a1 colt 80 series that stove pipes . I've tried different mags and recoil springs
and several types of ball ammo. Can't seem to figure this one out  bullet  noses up and slide
jams cassing.
What do ya think ?

TIm
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:43:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Extractor to tight possibly and the round is not sliding into it. Check it to see if the tension needs to be lessened. I've seen some cosmetic problems on S-80s but they always ran on ball ammo. Did you buy this new or used? What kind of mags and what kind of ammo did you use?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Bought it used in great shape - used factory new and used colt mags and a couple of shooting star
mags and one surplus mag - ammo was winchester ball 230 gr , speer lawman fmj 230 gr and
cci 230 gr ball .
extractor seems fine but how do you know how much tension is to much? also barrel ramp is clean
and not damaged.

Tim
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Remove the slide after making sure it's unloaded. slide round under extractor against breechface. It should slide in without to much trouble but it should also hold the round when you turn it upright. If you have to force it in you need to remove the extractor and tweak it a bit, clean the entire FP assy, the holes for the firing pin and extractor and breechface well. Check the extractor claw well, it should have a slight bevel on the bottom of the claw to facilitate feeding. But before you do any tweaking clean everything well. I have seen some clean appearing 1911s that ended up being horribly gunky in the extractor area and FP hole as they were never removed. I don't do it everytime I shoot but I clean it on a regular basis. Let me know how the round holds and how the claw looks. You should have no problem with the ammo you are using.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure what the problem here is.
A stovepipe is a failure to fully eject a spent casing.
Sounds like you are discussing a failure to feed.
Which problem are you having here?
Stovepipes can be caused by damaged ejectors, recoil springs that are too stiff, and in some cases rubber recoil buffers. (not that this list is exaustive, but these are the most common causes of stovepipes in my experience)

BTW, not trying to step on any toes here, the above advice is all sound.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:08:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Give Colt a call, see if they will stand behind their product. Warranty is over but it would might be fun to see what they would charge you.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:40:51 PM EDT
[#7]
BTW Colt used some MIM extractors for a time, they caused problems and colt dumped them, and went back to real one's. I have seen some funny problems with them as they really did not have the proper "spring" and they did not work right. Does a LIVE round jam, or a spent one? That'll help a lot. I hope someone did not screw up the feedramp by grinding on it or do a throat job with a dremel.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The live round is what is jamming , it seems to be nosing up in the chamber.
I can pull the slide back a little and let it go and the round goes right in.
I've tried 3 different recoil springs still and checked extractor it seems fine.

Thanks Tim
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Lessen the extractor tension a bit and try it. Sounds as if the round is not sliding under the extractor. OR you can remove the extractor and with a dummy round [brass and bullet] try it to see if it feeds ok. Put extractor back in and try it. Any difference?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top