Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2005 8:54:41 AM EDT
Do you guys have some opinions on Pro Mag??? They seem to be a decent price but i don't know much about them. I have a Firestorm 1911 fullsize
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:01:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Pro-Mag is the worst.

The two best and most highly regarded brands are generally:

Wilson (47Ds are the most popular)
Chip McCormick Power Mags

Mec-Gar is also great. They make factory mags for many firearms manufacturers.

Also, Metalform is supposed to be good but I have had problems with the 2 Metalform mags that I have.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:11:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Wilson's, you pay more than the others, but I have never had one go bad. If I did, lifetime replacement.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pro-Mag is the worst.

Also, Metalform is supposed to be good but I have had problems with the 2 Metalform mags that I have.

+1

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Pro-Mag is the worst.

I have had slide lock failures and FTF problems with Chip Mccormick shooting stars.  Actually, I have had nothing but problems with 8-round flush-fit mags in all three of my 1911's.  That's why I stick with 7-round mags.  YMMV.  

I'm not sure if the Power mags are any better than the shooting stars because I have no experience with them.

How do Wilson 47D's accomplish 8-round flush-fit capability without resorting to a spongy spring-steel follower?  Is it just that the follower is shorter?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 12:56:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the follower is shorter, and plastic.
I've never had a problem with a Wilson mag.
I've heard good things and bad things about the CMC mags.
Don't waste your money on a Mec-Gar 1911 mag. They make great Sig etc. mags, hell they make 'em for Sig, but the 1911 mag I got from them was just as bad as a Pro-Mag.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 1:23:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes, the follower is shorter, and plastic.
I've never had a problem with a Wilson mag.I've heard good things and bad things about the CMC mags.
Don't waste your money on a Mec-Gar 1911 mag. They make great Sig etc. mags, hell they make 'em for Sig, but the 1911 mag I got from them was just as bad as a Pro-Mag.

The ONLY mags I use in my 1911s are Wilson 47Ds. I have NEVER had a problem of any kind. As far as I'm concerned they are the "gold" standard for 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 2:51:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Well funny thing my Kimber works 100% with Chip McCormick mags (not even power mag) but the Wilson I had always jammed on the last round (on the last round only). I'm going to give Wilson another try but since CMC is working just fine I'm not in a hurry.

I've also been told Mec-gar mags are great.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 3:04:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:11:10 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Pro-Mag is the worst.

I have had slide lock failures and FTF problems with Chip Mccormick shooting stars.  Actually, I have had nothing but problems with 8-round flush-fit mags in all three of my 1911's.  That's why I stick with 7-round mags.  YMMV.  

I'm not sure if the Power mags are any better than the shooting stars because I have no experience with them.

How do Wilson 47D's accomplish 8-round flush-fit capability without resorting to a spongy spring-steel follower?  Is it just that the follower is shorter?

I too have had nothing but problems with Chip McComiks. I probably have 6 to 8 of them lying around here with useless springs. Not sure which is the 47D but I don't care for the Wilson 8rd mags. The springs on the Wilson stainless 8rd mags, I've used, wear out if left loaded for very long.

Of recent I have had the most luck with hard to find Pachmayr 7rd mags and Novak 8rd mags.

Been thinking, I should spend some money at Wolf Springs and try to bring all these CMC's I have laying around back up to speed.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:36:17 PM EDT
[#10]
The Chips McCormick mags will scratch the shit out of a aluminum framed pistol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top