Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2005 6:19:33 AM EDT
Been a 15 years since I handled a 1911 (Colt GC NM). A SA A1 followed me home from the pawn shop yesterday and I got a Q. It does not seem to have a half cock position the hammer will come back about 3/32 and stay put but if I grip it and pull the trigger the hammer will fall. Everything else seems normal. Am I spacing out or what? Help, I need to shoot it today if I can.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:01:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like someone tried to do a trigger job, and screwed it up pretty good. There should be a half cocked position, and the hammer should not fall when the trigger is pulled.  You can either take it to a gunsmith for inspection and repair, or replace the sear, disconnector, hammer, and/or mainspring yourself. Either way, it's not expensive, and easily fixed.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Can anyone recommend a shop manual and or Vid?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:40:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I have found that AGI videos are informative and helpfull. They are available at Brownells.com. Lots of great books there also. If you have a 1911, it is really nice to be able to completely dis-assemble them, and it not that hard of a job. Heres a link to Brownells......

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=188&title=AMERICAN+GUNSMITHING+INSTITUTE+VIDEO+ARMORER'S+COURSES

Can't get the link to work, looks like you'll have to cut and paste this address to your browser window
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#4]
I have found that the GI SA models don't have a standard half cock position. My GI does the same as you mentioned, hammer will drop from 1/2 cock if trigger is pulled. I don't believe there is enough force to fire the gun.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have found that the GI SA models don't have a standard half cock position. My GI does the same as you mentioned, hammer will drop from 1/2 cock if trigger is pulled. I don't believe there is enough force to fire the gun.

+1.  I hope you didn't take it to a smith yet and waste any money.  The gun comes from the factory with a hammer that has a half cock shelf, not a captive half cock notch.   The half cock is simply a safety measure if the gun is dropped and the hammer falls.  It will stop at the half cock, and it's not necessary to have a captive notch.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies. Takes a load off my mind.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:50:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Also, thanks for clearing that up for me too.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 3:21:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Also, thanks for clearing that up for me too.

Well, you would think that since it's pretty close to a GI gun, it would have that notch.  I actually never thought of it until you guys brought it up, despite hundreds of trigger jobs on SAs.  So, thank you guys!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top