Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/1/2005 11:13:44 PM EDT

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Stainless Colt "new roll mark" 1991A1 (series 80) pistol

The front sight is a Yo-Bo retro with a gold line insert.  The rear is a Yo-Bo retro opened to (IIRC) 0.14".  
I really like this sight set-up.  It works well for me.  

The gun has no plastic or glass.  20 lpi checkering on a Yo-Bo main spring housing with lanyard loop as well as on the front strap.  
Beveled magwell
Ergo grip safety
Ed Brown safety, narrowed and de-horned
Ed Brown tacitcal mag release
Ed Brown FP stop fit
Burns "HardUse" trigger
Trigger job with Yo-Bo action components (hammer, sear, etc.)
Realiablity package
Spare Wilson extractor tuned
King's barrel bushing (fit)
Complete de-horn
polished slide flats
checkering softened
VZ canvas micarta "gator" grips

It's very accurate and works really good.  

Milt Sparks Versa Max II holster in Cordovan Horsehide.  

Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:33:51 PM EDT
[#2]
From the side, another of my poor quality pics:
Link Posted: 10/1/2005 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#3]
It's everything I hoped for.  The only thing I think I would do differently is I would have the top of the slide serrated.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:34:01 AM EDT
[#4]
But that's not all!

I also had a Springfield GI sitting around doing nothing, so I sent it in too (actually was sent first).  
It got something like the 1* Enhanced package but with some addtions which made it not a 1* Enhanced.  It has Yo-Bo "Professional Grade" sights with tritium inserts in a "straight eight" configuration with the rear opened to 0.14" for quick aquisition.  Burns "Hard Use" trigger.  

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:34:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Another (lousey pic) from the rear:

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:47:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Yost Bonitz guns are great. My brother has a GI in their shop right now for a 1* Enhanced package, minus the markings so he can have Heinie Straight Eight sights. He also is getting a ss barrel, black t and probably some golf balls from Chuck Rogers.

I of course have my 69 Commercial built by Steve Bailey.

Life is good...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:06:49 AM EDT
[#7]

My brother has a GI in their shop right now for a 1* Enhanced package, minus the markings so he can have Heinie Straight Eight sights

I don't think He'll get the Heinies.  I wanted them too, but was told that Heinie is backlogged for months on them.  They gave me the Yo-Bo "Professional Grade" sights instead which can take Trijicon inserts in the straight-8 config.  I don't like them as well as Heinies so far, but may grow into them.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Congratulations, but you have to tell us how it shoots!

I'm sure you'll put them to good use.  I have a 1* Elite built on s series 80 Colt that's just fantastic.  I use it for IDPA and steel, the darn thing just goes and goes.  I also have a chromed series 70 Colt Commander from Yo-Bo that is probably the most accurate gun I own which just amazes me.    I just picked up a series 70 stainless Colt for a base gun, I'm putting my wish list together & saving my pennies so I can sent it to Mr. Yost.  Be careful, his guns have a certain addictive quality!
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:06:21 AM EDT
[#9]

a chromed series 70 Colt Commander from Yo-Bo

That's the gun I wish I would have gotten.  My dream gun, although maybe the lightweight Commander too.  

The Colt shoots great.  I've never seem groups so tight and I love the sights.  The SA shoots well also but the sights came loose intitially, the Trijicon insert in the rear sight was installed off-center by Trijicon (it's going back for a fix) and I find the rear of the Yo-Bo "Professional Grade" sights a little to tall with the "ears" a little too narrow which for me does't allow a clearly defined horrizontal line with which to align the top of the front sight.  They are fast though since the notch is opened to 0.14".  I may change them out to Heinies some day if I can't get used to them.  The groupings were exellent however.  

I use it for IDPA and steel, the darn thing just goes and goes.

I use a 9mm Springfield XD witha 2 lb trigger, fiber optic sights and a tungsten guide rod for USPSA competiion, and I haven't even shot a 1911 in a about a yesr while I was waiting for these guns so I'm kind of spoiled and used to the low recoil, easy trigger for competition use.  It would be a while before I could transition to 1911, but I do really prefer the ergonomics of these 1911s (ove the 9mms) and thus I am enjoying shooting them.  

I just picked up a series 70 stainless Colt for a base gun, I'm putting my wish list together & saving my pennies so I can sent it to Mr. Yost. Be careful, his guns have a certain addictive quality!

I too have a series 70 that's just sitting around, although this has scratched my 1911 itch for a while, not to mention put a dent in the piggy bank.  I've got higher priority projects to knock off now:  AKs kits and parts to collect.  Polish under folder and parts on the way, thinking of FEG kit.  I've got to have built my first AKs.  I'd like to get my CZ-85 worked over as a great USPSA production gun.  I need to finish building a Mid-Length AR that I have most of the parts for.  Etc,  

All-in all though I think a nicely customized 1911 is possibly the most inspiring work of art gun one can own as a working peice.  A customized Colt Commander (either lightweight or steel) would be the 1911 on the top of my list now, although my 1911 list sits below other priorities.  A Commander would carry so nice.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top