Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/28/2005 6:12:35 AM EDT
I have a bunch of Wilson 47D 8-rd mags, but I think I would prefer the Wilson 47 7-rd mags instead.  If I can find someone to trade with me, then do you think this would be a good trade?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:07:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Not really. Sounds like you're taking a step backwards to me. Why would you want to downgrade your capacity? So your mags fit flush with the grip? I don't think you are going to find any extra reliability out of a 7 round mag compared to an 8 round mag.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:39:33 AM EDT
[#2]
I want to trade because the 1911 was originally designed for 7-round magazines, and I've read about enough problems with the 8-rounders that I want all my mags to be 7-rounders.

Trades anyone?
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:18:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Just an FYI: I have been using Wilson 47D mags for a LONG time in a dozen different 1911s. I have NEVER had a problem with reliability. They are the only mags I use in my 1911s and continue to buy them whenever I can get them for around $20 each.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:37:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 12:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'm sure that if you list them in the Want to Trade section of the EE you'll get fast results. '

+1
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:43:17 PM EDT
[#6]
FYI: The original 1911 mag (welded bottom) used a steel L shaped follower. To go to a 8 round count in these mags, the steel follower front downward tab is shortened to allow the follower to go down father in the mag body to get the extra round in.  The problem with shorting the L tab is this allows the follower to toe forward down since the front friction support has been reduced (read last round jam).

On the 47 mag, the old steel L type follower was replaced/mag designed with a Plastic skirted follower.  This skirted follower does not have the same problem such as nosing downward (canting) as the shortened steel L follower used on the 8 old designs.  

Simple put, the problem that you have been reading in regards to 8 round mags has been in regards to the welded bottom steel mags using a shortened L follower.

As for selling the 47's, if you want to sell them at a reduced used price, IM me and we can work out a deal.  
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 3:54:58 PM EDT
[#7]
LETS TAKE IT TO THE EE
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top