Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2005 6:40:39 PM EDT
I have a Kimber Custom II and for the second time the saftey has gone wacky...we were out shooting squirrels yesterday and after shooting about 20-30 rounds the saftey is messed up. Switching from not safe to safe and vise versa the saftey has no tension or resistance, before it would have resistance, now it almost flops around. Whats the deal? I thought Kimbers werea good gun, this is the second time this has happened. Last time I think the gunsmith said something about a spring as the problem. Any ideas?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Ah, the joys of MIM! Remove the safety as the first step and check to see if it has broken. Unload, clear weapon first. Let us know what you find. Or it is working away from the frame and the spring that detents the safety and slide lock is falling out. If so and the pistol is new send the POC back and make Kimber fix it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Look for the detent at the front of the safety. It should provide resistence on the safety.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I took out the saftey and it appears to be in good shape...how do I check the detent?
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The detent is the little metal pointy thing that comes out of the plunger tube and contacts the front edge of the safety.  If the spring does not push the detent up against the safety, the safety will not be held in place.  Make sure that little pointy thing seems to have some spring pressure behind it.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Very little spring tension and it is almost flush with the part that it is supposed to stick out of.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
SGB, I tried pushing it out and pulling it out neither worked..Attached is a photo with an arrow pointing to what I am talking about. Btw, the photo isnt my gun.

Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#9]
It looks fine from the outside, I had this problem once before and had it "fixed" by a gun shop that I trusted. The shop is out of business and I recently found out that they were sued multiple times for bad work. Can I replace this myself?  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 12:15:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top