Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2005 7:15:33 PM EDT
I'm looking for a 4" .45 cal for CCW. I have large hands, and would like to get a single stack full sized handle. I have played around with a Kimber pro Carry, which I like,  but would appreciate other suggestions. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 5:47:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Also if you seem to still not be filling up your palm with the above mentioned choices, you may want to add an arched mainspring housing if your choice doesn't already have one.  I have found that it tends to help me a lot.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:57:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The pro carry is an excellant choice, they are insanely accurate.

yup, love mine.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 7:02:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Look for a SA Champion.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 8:00:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Look for a SA Champion.

I love mine!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 11:43:39 AM EDT
[#6]
SA Champion (4") with allow frame, or the S&W Scandium framed 4.25" model.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#7]
My carry piece is a Kimber Eclipse Pro-II.  It's been 100% for me and I preferred the stainless steel, especially the frame.

Some people have had issues with the series II Kimbers, especially the external extractor.  Mine's been 100% like I said, but I could be atypical.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 12:33:05 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look for a SA Champion.

I love mine!

+1

Me too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:28:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I've got a Les Baer Stinger.  (officer frame with commander--4"--slide)  IMHO, it's the perfect concealable weapon.....but not inexpensive, and you mentioned you have large meathooks so the officer frame probably isn't what you're looking for.  

Colt, SA, S&W and Kimber (as well as Wilson, Brown, Rock River and Baer) all make 4-4 1/4" models that will likely fit your requirements.  I doubt you'll have any problems with any of the above, but from my limited experience, SA has the best customer service if something does go wrong.  (not to mention, the lowest base price of the bunch)  
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Just bought a Dan Wesson commander and I've been impressed so far.  Unfortunately I didn't look at the S&W Scandiums beforehand.  I think the S&W would be about the best out of the box commader to get right now.  There are a few things I would want changed, but not much.  Smith does a carry bevel, decent sights, beavertail, etc.  I'm not sure about the MIM aspect, but it seems most of the other players are doing it too.  The only thing I would change initially would be to ditch the full length guide rod.

Link Posted: 9/26/2005 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Look for a SA Champion.

I love mine!

+1

Me too.

That makes three...I think a picture is in order.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:11:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I've gone with the Kimber Pro Carry. The thing just fits my hand like a glove. Picked up 2 Wilson 8-round Combat mags to start out with.

Range Report. Super accurate. I'd have to say, more accurate than I am. 2 Failure to feeds, but then It's still a little stiff, and I only had enough time for a quick 50 rounds. I plan on running another 200 through next week.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought a series 1 Pro Carry back in 2001. It's been my constant companion ever since. The only thing I've changed are the grips. I might do it again and try the thin VZ grips. Some people rip on Kimber, but I've had nothing but success with them.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell, I'll sell you my lightweight SA Champion if you want it.  It's been a hell of a carry gun, but I've gone smaller for carry at work (SA Micro) and bigger when I'm not at work (SA Gov't).  The Champion LW is probably the best compromise of size, weight, controlability and comfort.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top