Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 6:47:14 PM EDT
I have an all original (except magazine) Ithaca 1911A1 in 95%+ condition and the prices I see for similar ones are so outrageous that I doubt these guys are actually trying to sell them, (they aren't on auction sites). I do want to get as much as I can out of it though. I also have an Electroless nickle Series 70 that was done by Colt's Custom shop in 1982 that I want to sell as well.

So my question is, is there a place better than gunbroker to sell these? Some place that caters to 1911 Fans? I have found some sites where you can put it into a classified section, but I really don't know how to price either one. One guy at model1911A1.com is selling an Ithaca only slightly nicer than mine for $4,000 WTF, over? Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:40:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Well, by selling through GB or auctionarms.com, you're paying them to let you auction your stuff. If you're not sure of the value, you at least have to come up with a minimum bid, if not a reserve.

Let say you set your reserve at $1,500, and you only get one bid for $1,500. The pistol is sold, and you have to pay GB/AA what will amount somewhere around $100. so you netted $1400.

why not just put it up for sale for $1400 in the first place?

My opinion is that the auction sites are for when you know what  it's worth, and either you can make money for selling below current value (people buy stuff just becuase the price is good), or the demand is such that it'll move regardles of price. The auction sites aren't the place to try to get the most out of it you can.

you're better off researching why a 96% Ithaca would bring $4K.

I think you should decide what you think would be a fair price to sell it for and post it for sale at that price. It might be a deal to someone and they snatch it up, or if it's too high, no one will buy. So then, after a week or so, you reduce the price about 5-10% and try again

If you're going to do the auction sites, know what makes you gun valuable and post it in the ad. If it was built in a year of low production, say it. If it has something unique, like the Ithaca Mfg., thne let it be known why that makes a difference in it over a same year production colt. Not everyone knows, but they may have money burning a hole in their pocket.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reply Kletz. I started looking around for a comparable gun and I found three that were very close in condition, age, etc. They ranged from $2-4,000. I just have a hard time beleiving that people are paying that, but maybe they are.

I went to a live firearms auction years ago and I saw a couple rifles that I was interested in and I figured how much I was willing to pay including the juice, before the auction started. I was amazed how people bid things up. Often for a price higher than it went for new in the store and that was before the 10% juice! One guy ended up paying $440+ tax on a gun you could still buy new for $300.

I have nothing to lose putting it on a free classified site to see what happens. Thanks, Andy
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:43:37 AM EDT
[#3]
The other day I ran across the Louder Than Words forum. It is packed with a lot of information and a lot of notable smiths post regularly. They also have a Firearms for Sale and Collectible Firearms forums. I've just lurked, and I am not familiar with their COC or membership requirments. Check it out.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:53:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks Homer, I owe you a donut! Andy
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, there's always the EE

I usually use Gunbroker and Auctionarms as kind of a litmus test/metric...I also check SGN, and then usually subtract %10 from the price, which gives me what I feel to be a decent ballpark price.

Just a thought but you might also consider trying to hook yourself up in the WWII re-enactor crowd and other C&R collectors. There's several private publications, catalogues, etc on this topic....it might take some time and work to get into it, but there's a lotta people out there who love to collect vintage items, including myself.

(Depending on what you're asking for the Ithaca, I may be interested Assuming it's in %95, etc )

Oh...and within the last 10 years? Matching/original 1911's have gone through the ROOF! In the 70's and 80's you almost couldn't give away one, and a NIG (new in grease) one would go for a grand or less. Now...yeesh. Ever since Saving Private Ryan came out (literally!!!!)...it's really hurt the collector's market, which used to be just a bunch of regular joe's who want to preserve things.....then all the rich folk got involved...

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:01:04 PM EDT
[#6]
A 95% Ithica IF all the parts are correct to include the finish , [if you sell you had better make sure FIRST] is not worth anything around thousands of dollars. The price difference between 95% and 100% is HUGE. I have a 95% to 98% condition Ithica with all correct parts. IE BBL, frame, slide, safety, slide release, hammer,  grips and MSH. It came with the original release papers from Red River Arsenal, [DCM]shipping papers, box, paper wrap, but not the original mag. It was priced correctly and was less then a grand. I also have a 100% RR, I have found exactly ONE 100% 1911A1[RR] in 20 years of looking, I paid just over 1K. THAT one is worth several thousand but is not for sale and never will be.

You will need to research all markings on the gun, the SN on the frame, the BBL markings, the inspector stamp, any rebuild marks, everything, to come to a price. Be aware, many auction guns are just waiting for a sucker to come along who does not do his homework, they are not worth anywhere what the asking price is. A true 95% Ithica is worth around a grand maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less depending on the area of the Country you live in. Whatever you do, do the homework and accurately describe it, then go from there. You can always start high and drop, but you won't get any action from collectors, just newbies to the USGI addiction. [course their money spends OK also]

BTW, there are a few guns on that site that I am suspect of, the ole "original" box story is mostly BS along with "still in original cosmoline" garbage. And late 1945 RRs had a more greenish tint to the frames, they were not matched real well. Some of it could be the pics so I'll chill on that, but one of the guns offered is photoshopped on the pics, I wonder what is the deal on that. The blued early 41s and earlier Colts are worth more as a rule as are any of the blued 1911s mostly, less of them and more sought after.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:44:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Hi Fxn: I found a good site w/ all of the info on how to identify Ithaca parts and markings and they are all correct. The stamped crossed cannons of the FJA (?) is light but there. It has the F marked barrel (Flannery?) It has not been refinished but I also don't have any paperwork with it. The guy I bought it from 20 years ago "said" it was a DCM gun, which I was very skeptical of at the time, but in talking to other people since, I guess quite a few of the late Ithacas ended up w/ the DCM. This gun was shipped in January of 1945.

Here is a link to one of the guy selling Ithacas: http://www.model1911a1.com/  Go to the "guns for sale" now link on the left. He has 3 Ithacas for sale for between $3-4000. I think he's going a little heavy on the brandy to come up with those prices.

Evil: I remember seeing many of RR 1911A1s new in the box and I don't think they were fake, since like you said they were not worth all that much, $350 tops at the time is the prices I saw. And this wasn't from that David Buehn hack, I have a story about him that I won't bore you with. I remember (I'm starting to sound like an old geezer) when good cigars were priced fairly and then yuppies, Arnie and Demi discovered them and the prices went through the roof. If you are interested I can send you some pictures.

Thanks, Andy

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 12:00:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hi Fxn: I found a good site w/ all of the info on how to identify Ithaca parts and markings and they are all correct. The stamped crossed cannons of the FJA (?) is light but there. It has the F marked barrel (Flannery?) It has not been refinished but I also don't have any paperwork with it. The guy I bought it from 20 years ago "said" it was a DCM gun, which I was very skeptical of at the time, but in talking to other people since, I guess quite a few of the late Ithacas ended up w/ the DCM. This gun was shipped in January of 1945.

Here is a link to one of the guy selling Ithacas: http://www.model1911a1.com/  Go to the "guns for sale" now link on the left. He has 3 Ithacas for sale for between $3-4000. I think he's going a little heavy on the brandy to come up with those prices.

Evil: I remember seeing many of RR 1911A1s new in the box and I don't think they were fake, since like you said they were not worth all that much, $350 tops at the time is the prices I saw. And this wasn't from that David Buehn hack, I have a story about him that I won't bore you with. I remember (I'm starting to sound like an old geezer) when good cigars were priced fairly and then yuppies, Arnie and Demi discovered them and the prices went through the roof. If you are interested I can send you some pictures.

Thanks, Andy

,The crossed cannons are alway very light, very often just partially struck. The DCM sold a lot of 1911s, they shipped them in a box but they were not like the boxes that I keep seeing. You can buy those new still. The DCM boxes were cardboard, and the 1911 was put in a protective envelopy looking paper bag. They were not usually packed in boxes from the factory, nor did they go out in orders of one 99.99% of the time. And DCM boxes did not have SN# of the guns marked on the outside.

I've seen the site you listed several times, those prices are not what 1911s go for in the real world and [most] are nothing really special. [Some are high there because they are true collectables] Yes a few are, but the problem is that people use THOSE  prices to list theirs. Ithicas and RRs are some of the most found 1911A1s from WW2, A US&S that is CORRECT is worth much more because of the relatively small production number, [55K] and high collector interest.  Forget Singer, because 99% of the 1911A1 collectors either will never see one, or could not afford one if they did. Anyone who lists even a nice RR or Ithica at 3 or 4 K is kidding themselves as to it's worth. I doubt even a 100% gun that was documented would sell easily for that amount and a 95% takes a HUGE hit over a 100% gun in the collector world. Good luck and I hope you get what you want out of it, but don't hold your breath.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 3:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the DCM info FXN. I do, however, recall the law of supply and demand from ecomonics 101, even as it applies to the esoteric world of gun collecting. I didn't post the prices because that's what I'm going to use as the basis for pricing my pistol. In fact, if you read my post carefully you'll notice I even inserted a witty comment about the sellors state of mind. I think the price I have decided on is reasonable. Time will tell when I get around to taking pictures and listing it. Thanks, Andy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top