Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 3:14:43 PM EDT
I have a SA 1911 Compact, it was made in 1994.  This one has the quality rollmark lettering instead of the engraved type that they use now.

The thing is, the previous owner must have had some feeding problems... so they polished the feed ramp.  So much so that it went UNDER the barrel.  Then this genius took a dremel to the chamber so that it would feed properly.

This was my first 1911 so I didn't know that anything was wrong, but it didn't chamber well even from a magazine so I took it to a gunsmith before I shot it (thank GOD).  The chamber wasn't supporting the cartridge anywhere near what it should have.

I could have sold it off like this idiot did, but instead I invested the money into getting it fixed properly.  I didn't want to sell it and have something happen to the next guy.  So I had a Colt National Match barrel cut down to size, and the feed ramp welded up, reshaped and polished.  There is VERY little, if any, discoloration due to the welding.

I have a hardcase box and a couple mags for this gun.    It has a beavertail grip safety and an ambi safety installed.  SA doesn't make the Compact anymore, but I don't need it because I carry my fullsize 1911 now.  What would be a fair price for this gun, considering the work that's been done to it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:03:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow.  I never guessed it could be that much.  I had a gunshop offer me $200 for everything (I know they screw you over, but still...)
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:06:31 PM EDT
[#4]
$226 and I'll throw in a good word for ya in the feedback forums  

Yep, don't let the shops rape ya.  buy low and sell high for max profit......That's usually their motto.  Of course they are a business, so can you blame them?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 12:14:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Heh.

Do you think that replacing the stock barrel with a Colt NM barrel is more of an upgrade instead of a replacement?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:19:44 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Heh.

Do you think that replacing the stock barrel with a Colt NM barrel is more of an upgrade instead of a replacement?

No, since the Colt NM barrel is still a drop in barrel.  However, you went the extra mile, and I know very few smiths who would actually weld up a frame's feedramp.  After all the trouble you went through, you should keep it.  You won't get your money back, and it's way cool you resurected a ruined gun.  BTW, the guy who screwed it up is an A**HOLE for screwing you.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:22:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I paid about $300 - $325 for the gun from a gun shop, and put almost $100 into getting it fixed.  The gunsmith felt bad and had a box of barrels there and gave me the barrel for free to keep the cost down; so I have around $400 into the gun, all told.

ETA:  What pisses me off about the guy who screwed up the gun and then sold it, wasn't that I got ripped off moneywise.  The gunsmith showed me how much of the case was unsupported and told me that if I would have fired the +P defensive loads that I intended to use, the case could have ruptured and set off a chain-reaction down the magazine, doing God knows what to my hand, or even more damage than that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top