Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/20/2005 10:06:02 AM EDT
Hey all,

I currently have a leather two mag holster that holds two mags verically.  It just feels too bulky on my and pokes into my side.  Has anyone found a reasonably comfortable way / pouch to carry a spare single stack mag?  Perhaps something horizontal is the way to go.  

Thanks,

James
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:36:00 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hey all,

I currently have a leather two mag holster that holds two mags verically.  It just feels too bulky on my and pokes into my side.  Has anyone found a reasonably comfortable way / pouch to carry a spare single stack mag?  Perhaps something horizontal is the way to go.  

Thanks,

James

James, I assume you mean ultra concealed mall-tactical, right? (i.e. not IDPA matches)

I always carry a Surefire 6P in my rear pocket next to my wallet.  I've found that I can slip a single stack 1911 mag on the other side of my wallet (flat against my rear) and it's pretty handy.  The only issue with it is removing and replacing your wallet.  

The other thing I do is wear shorts with those cargo pockets.  I'll drop a mag in the big pocket on those too.

R.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
maybe the watch pocket on your jeans?

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#3]
The bulk difference between carrying one or two spare mags can be pretty dramatic.  Take a look at some of the leather, single mag pouches.  They seem to nearly disappear on my belt, especially if I'm also carrying a cell phone.  The phone goes on the same side and in front of the pouch.  I notice the double pouch, but not the single.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 1:39:44 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
maybe the watch pocket on your jeans?

I actually have done this on some of my jeans that have deeper watch pockets.  IMO it’s a pain in the ass leg when sitting and retrieval leaves something to be desired.  

What about these:
Safariland 123

Model 074

SBG

ETA - Board Code.  I suck at the intraweb.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:02:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Are you guys wearing speedos and skin tight shirts or something? I simply don't understand it. I pack a P220 daily plus I pack a dual mag pouch on my belt. Along with a Z2 combat light and a 21" ASP baton. I can do it under a t-shirt or hawaiian shirt. You guys need to adjust your attire some so you can pack your guns better.

Now, in answer to the question, I make a neoprene dual mag carrier that fits on my ankle and it disappears under straight leg jeans. So now I can pack 4 spare mags for reloads. You can never take too much ammo to a gun fight. Also, if you don't have enough to go around, you're in trouble.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:25:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a straight drop (vertical) 2x mag pouch ......

I agree some are less bulky than others.....

Any thing other than a weak side hip carrier is slower.....

Ankle carry of mags - great idea if you really need it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I carry a spare mag in my back pocket.  I admit that it's probably the stupidest place to carry a mag, because in a stick-up, they will go for your pockets and discover the mag (and then they know you have a pistol).  This type of situation occurs if you hesitate to pull your pistol because you're not sure if you're about to be robbed.  All it takes is a second or two of indecision and they're all over you.  At this point, the gun in your waistband is useless.

I had the above scenario happen to me outside of an all-night deli.  Thankfully, I wasn't carrying a spare mag that day (I had a 5-shot revolver with no reloads), and walked past some "gangstas".  I contemplated pulling my pistol when my spider-senses told me to, but I hesitated.  By that time, they were too close and had already started going through my pockets.  They never discovered the pistol, but they did take $60 and my wallet from my pockets and let me go.  I wanted to shoot them as soon as they turned their backs, but I decided that I was out of harms way and decided not to.  Thank God I didn't, I would be in jail right now.

Someone really should think about making an IWB mag carrier instead of those bulky belt carriers.

ETA:  Always trust your spider senses!
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Someone really should think about making an IWB mag carrier instead of those bulky belt carriers.

www.miltsparks.com/IPD.htm
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 8:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
I use two single mag carriers in Kydex from Bladetech, one at 9 o'clock and one at 11 o'clock.  My double carrier in horsehide from Kramer wasnt uncomfortable, it just didnt conceal as well.  The 11 o'clock mag is hella-fast on the reload, especially when seated in a vehicle.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:14:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Are you guys wearing speedos and skin tight shirts or something? I simply don't understand it. I pack a P220 daily plus I pack a dual mag pouch on my belt. Along with a Z2 combat light and a 21" ASP baton. I can do it under a t-shirt or hawaiian shirt. You guys need to adjust your attire some so you can pack your guns better.

Now, in answer to the question, I make a neoprene dual mag carrier that fits on my ankle and it disappears under straight leg jeans. So now I can pack 4 spare mags for reloads. You can never take too much ammo to a gun fight. Also, if you don't have enough to go around, you're in trouble.

You have got to be kidding?  what do you have a price on your head or something?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#11]
James, I've been carrying a mag horizontally.  It is very concealable, and also makes for a very easy reload.  Plus, this guy's leather is truly incredible.

www.garritysgunleather.com/BeltMagazinePouches.htm
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:25:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:51:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Desantis makes an IWB single mag carrier that works pretty well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top