Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 4:53:02 AM EDT
Does anyone have an opinion or a review of the S&W 1911 PD in sc? Just curious. Thanks db
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:09:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll be picking one up today, and probably firing it a little if I get a chance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had the 1911Sc for about a year now.  Unfortunately, I haven't shot it a lot, so shooting impressions are a little limited.

For me, it was a mistake going to the commander length.  It has always been an awkward compromise in my book and I have never owned one before.  In the future I would rather get a full size Government or a Kimer Pro Carry sized 1911.  

I will say that the gun has been very reliable.  I have shot approximately 500 rounds through mine without a single malfunction.  Clean dirty, Blazer, Winchester, Federal, S&B the gun just runs.

Accuracyis sub-par, but this is a fighting tool and not a match gun.   I will aagree with an early review that I saw the week after I bought the gun. It hate Blazer Brass.  I can't explain it but wow it does not do well with that ammo.  

As far as being a fighting tool, I like it.  Novak mags and sights are a top notch addition.   I will say that for some reason the finish on S&W's scandium guns does not hold up well.  I am not sure why, but look at a used Sc-airweight and realize that this gun will not stay pretty.

Overall, I like the 1911Sc.  I just wished that NE would finally pass a CCW law so I could justify its place in my collection.  

SBG  
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is what I posted in another forum:

S&W 1911PD Scandium Review

I recently bought one of these for $750 new out the door. I was a little reluctant to buy it for a couple of reasons.

First, I have never owned a 1911 with an external extractor. I heard so many bad things about external extractors and the reliability problems associated with them, that I was somewhat concerned. However, I just put around two hundred rounds through it in one outing (150 Remington UMC ball and 50 Double Tap 1225fps Gold Dot). The pistol runs FLAWLESS. I used Wilson 47D mags, ACT mags, Kimber mags, and CMC powermags. Not one hiccup.

Another concern I had that with the lighter frame (about 10oz lighter), I might not be as accurate as I am with my other 1911s. I ended up being EXTREMELY ACCURATE with it, even with the Double Tap ammo. You feel the additional recoil with the Double Taps, but the bullet has already left the barrel at that point. Hell, the paper target doesn't even have time to tear around the holes.

To sum up the review, this gun is worth more than $750. It is a quality, reliable, and lightweight firearm at a modest price. It shoots as good as my Kimber Eclipse, STI Trojan, and amost as good as my Wilson Combat. And carrying around 28oz on your hip as opposed to 38oz makes a big difference in comfort.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:21:39 AM EDT
[#4]
Man, you got me all excited about my upcoming trade.  I was supposed to get mine today, but my friend had his wife's b-day to attend to.  I should get it tomorrow, and looking at your gun has me very expectant.  I think I'll even get the VZs.  Thanks for the pic!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:27:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Gents! It is always nice to get some real life input prior to a purchase. This is what I was looking for. Hey SCB I am an ugly guy anyway, no reason that the gun shouldnt match. Seriously though as long as the gun shoots well that is my only concern. Thanks db
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:28:48 PM EDT
[#6]
I am looking at the S&W 1911SC and was wondering If that is what You are talking about?  If So, do you know if it has a series 70 or a seres 80 safety.

Also I am looking forward to your range report!

Thanks!

For some reason I only saw the first two post before I I asked my question.  So pardon me if I sounded weird.

I would still like to know if it is a series 70 or 80 safety!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top