Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 11:45:09 AM EDT
I first saw the Detonics line of pistols on Miami Vice.  Gosh that's been a long time ago.  I think they've gone in and out of business about a half dozen times.  Looks like they're back again.

www.detonicsusa.com

I've got to admit I would like this one.  A little pricey though.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:29:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I've seen these before also, just never could get over the way they re-located the rear sight.
Shorter sight radius, not sure what the benefit is there.
Anyone who owns one, please fill us in...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
MSRP of $1,200? Gee, I wonder who makes their cast frames and slides nowadays....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:31:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've seen these before also, just never could get over the way they re-located the rear sight.

According to their website, it's so you can thumb cock the hammer for those who carry hammer down.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Ummm, nm.

At least I know that when I hear of one, not to be overy enthusiastic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:25:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Well , if the quality is there , they are just as commercially viable as
the SA micro or the Kimber ultra.

MSRP is NEVER street price
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#7]
You must not forget that the little ones came out before a Colt Officers model was a wet dream.
The original combat master was the smallest .45 available when it came out.

The machining and slide to frame rail fit was the best in the business. This is  back when if a Colt didn't rattle when you shook it, it wouldnt work.

The old combat masters were more accurate with a 3.5 inch barrel than the same year Gold Cup was with a 5 inch barrel. (factory guns)

Also Detonics were the first 45s that came throated from the factory. They were also the first 1911 pattern gun to have a cone shaped barrel(like a current TRP) instead of a barrel bushing. I also think they were the first to have a full lenght guide rod (although I am not positive)

I have no info on the new model but you must give a dog his due.  

This is not a shot a Colts just a comparison.  I am a Colt owner many times over.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:00:41 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They were also the first 1911 pattern gun to have a cone shaped barrel(like a current TRP) instead of a barrel bushing.

you mean a bull barrel?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:29:00 AM EDT
[#9]
So you are saying these are the people who bear the brunt of the blame for perverting my beloved 5" Government Model?
And they want you carry hammer down?!?
Very well.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:50:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

According to their website, it's so you can thumb cock the hammer for those who carry hammer down.  

I know not only does that not make sense, but it's just plain moronic. I wonder how us millions of 1911 owners dryfire.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:27:50 AM EDT
[#11]
What I got out of their marketing text is that the rear sight being moved forward makes it easier to cock the hammer when drawing from a concealed carry type holster.
Their sight design would, IMO make it easier to cock the hammer on a 1911 style gun from a holster.
You sure wouldn't want to try it with my Caspian with a Bo-Mar rear sight, but I don't carry hammer down, because the gun was not designed to be carried that way..
My only problem with the whole thing is that this means you are carrying your 1911 hammer down, not cocked and locked.
THE 1911 WAS DESIGNED TO BE CARRIED COCKED AND LOCKED! If you don't like that fact, if it makes you nervous, buy a Glock!

Their website also states that they pioneered the internal extractor.
I'm sure JMB would be stunned to find that out.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 12:10:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The original reason for the forward mount rear sight was, the original gun was developed at the request of a "No Name" federal agency that for some reason carried hammer down.

Detonics just kept making it that way when they started commercial sales of it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
They were also the first 1911 pattern gun to have a cone shaped barrel(like a current TRP) instead of a barrel bushing.

you mean a bull barrel?

No - an actual cone... the barrel diameter grows from the chamber to the muzzle .

Biggest thing to me  - weight - at 34 oz empty the combat master is a pig.... given that weight and a mere 6 rounds it is kinda silly and outdated...

They will go BK inside of 24 months - mark my words

S&W 340PD - 12oz, 5 rnd, .357
Gluck 27 - 20 oz, 10 rnd, 40 / 9mm
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:37:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I had one of the early Combat Masters when they first came out (and as I recall I paid a whopping $258.00 or $285.00for it!). The sight set up was a little different and took some getting used to, but with the short barrel length and my intended use as a personal defense weapon, the sights didn't really bother me.

What I didn't like about it was the fact that they did away with the grip safety and they did not have the firing pin safety of the Series 80 Colts. I ended up selling it for about $400.00 or so and bought a Colt Officers model.  I also seem to recall that the Colt a just a tad bit longer grip than the Detonics......maybe I am hallucinating this, but for some reason I can remember having to curl my little finger under the magazine floorplate of the Detonics when shooting it. Maybe someone here can confirm this or has the specs of both pistols?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

you mean a bull barrel?

No - an actual cone... the barrel diameter grows from the chamber to the muzzle .

Yeah, I got a TRP Operator, and the outer diameter of the barrel grows from the chamber to the muzzle. So do a lot of the 1911 bull barrels.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:12:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I never cared for the concept.  I dont want a huge divot out of my slide and the sight radius shortened so I can cock the gun easier.  My 1911s are carried cocked and locked like they are supposed to be.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:53:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I first saw the Detonics line of pistols on Miami Vice.  Gosh that's been a long time ago.

Was that the Bren-Ten?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:34:30 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I first saw the Detonics line of pistols on Miami Vice.  Gosh that's been a long time ago.

Was that the Bren-Ten?

Donny carried a CBM on his ankle

F*ckin sad that I know this.....
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was that the Bren-Ten?

Sonny carried a CBM on his ankle

F*ckin sad that I know this.....

Fixed it
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:47:30 PM EDT
[#21]
i have owned 4 detonics combat masters over the last 20 years
1 and 2 wernt worth a damn.
3 was functional, usually....
4 was beyond reproach in functionality but the finish, polish etc was very rough shot like a champ though..
i did just trade 4 in for a nib tactical ultra...could not say no to the kimber...did get 400 for the trade, more than i had in the detonics to begin with, so, didnt cry too much, but it did tug the heartstrings a bit to let it go..
carried it the last 8 years and never felt ungunned with it...
so, new ones, who knows, Ahern was a Huge fan of the orginal and there may be real quality control on the newer creations...
money and the market will tell...
hope they survive as it is a true orginal design micro compact.
IMHO
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top