Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 4:22:33 PM EDT
This darn thing still is not dependable. Just dumped 50 rounds thru it and it still consistantly FTEs on the THIRD round in the mag. ALWAYS the third round. Empty casing stuck in the port still facing foward but out of the chamber, new round feeds out of the mag, start to go into the chamber then jams due to the empty casing. Already polished extractor, [had flashing from plating in rim cut out] set it properly, everything else is fine. I am at the point where I am either just going to change out the extractor and possibly ejector. What I cannot figure out tho is why it is ALWAYS the 3rd round?
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#2]
It has failed with several mags. The factory one was used today as I tried to pin down what was happening. Worked fine with first 2 mags, then FTEd on the next 3 in a row, the last 2 were OK. Feeds fine, new round  is always started into the chamber, it's just that the spent one jams, usually lengthwise at the top of the port. Just like a loaded round  would be facing. Occasionally it will stovepipe. I am wondering if the ejector is to short to kick the empty out. What pisses me off is that it is accurate and I regulated the sights so they are exactly how I like them, but I will never use this gun for CCW now.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Have you looked for a cracked frame. I had a S&W 9mm that started doing that, I had a heck of a time trying to figure it out. Then under very close inspection I found a crack going almost the entire lenght of the mag well from top to bottom and it spidered over to the trigger guard. I figures a few more rounds and it would have been an hand grenade.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:20:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Have you looked for a cracked frame. I had a S&W 9mm that started doing that, I had a heck of a time trying to figure it out. Then under very close inspection I found a crack going almost the entire lenght of the mag well from top to bottom and it spidered over to the trigger guard. I figures a few more rounds and it would have been an hand grenade.

I have about 800 rounds thru this gun. It has no other problem but this. I have tried different ammo, mags, setting the extractor, I checked everything out. When it runs it runs nicely, but it has the exact same problem over and over. I guess I will have to pull a good extractor and try that next. Maybe the plating that SA uses on their SS guns [small parts are NOT SS] changed the specs enough to cause this problem. The third round thing really has me stumped tho, maybe it's just coincidence. I am going to use some known good reloads that work perfectly in my Colts. I know the specs on those. BTW nothing is catching or hitching upon recoil, I polished the rails and it slides like ice on grease. Perfect trigger at 4.2 LBS.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:02:55 AM EDT
[#5]
YOu need either an Ed Brown Harcore, Wilson Bulletproof or Cylinder and Slide extractor.  That will cure your problem.  Springfield just tosses in any old extractor and many times they use what I call the 9mil/38 super extractor instead of the proper, large profile 45 extractor.....a new extractor and proper tuning will square you away....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I've also heard that they use extractors made of soft material. I've tuned my extractor numerous times and it ejects properly the first 200 rounds or so then starts throwing brass all over the place. A quick check shows the extractor is off again.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Add an extended ejector. Super easy and cheap. I had to fix a Colt that way before, similar symptom.  +1 on a bombproof extractor too!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a couple of USGI new ones floating around [extractors] so I will put one of those in to try it out. Ejector looks awful short to me also. It really does not toss the brass more then a few feet, my Colts usually toss em about 8 feet. The extractor is still set correctly tho, checked that after I was done shooting for the night. I'll try both extractor and ejector and post back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#9]
If you still cant get it working right, send it back to SA. I havent had to do that but others have nothing but good things to say about the customer service and work done once they get it back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:38:10 PM EDT
[#10]
UPDATE: ejector was made to short. Damn MIM POS crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Round is hitting the frame before the ejector. I have a few REAL ones lying about I will use.

This is the SECOND ejector problem I have had out of 3 SA guns. No more for me. They can NOT be that hard to make correctly.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:14:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm sure it's the ejector but polishing the chamber probably wouldn't hurt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top