Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/18/2005 11:08:06 AM EDT
 Not to long ago, I bought an Armscor 1911.  I am new to 1911s, and got this as an entry level plinker.  I've heard a lot of people express disatisfaction ( to put it mildly ) of  the whole crop of cast Filipino pistols.
 I don't know the model designation of my pistol.  It has front slide serations, ambi safety,extended grip safety, external extractor, and Novak sights.  I have been very impressed with about 500 rds through it so far.  It's been very accurate ( at least by my standards), and very reliable, though I have only been using 230 gr. FMJ.
 What I am curious about is what are the problems people are having with these cast pistols?  Are the frames-slides cracking, internals wearing too quick, poor machining, parts out of spec. ?
 At this early stage, I'm very happy with it.  I am just trying to find out what problems I may have with it in the future.  Should I gut the whole thing and replace with USA parts, or if it ain't broke don't fix it?
 Thank you all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 11:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Casting is not necessarily an issue.  When done properly, it's more than strong enough for 1911 durabilty.  Perhaps the best frames made are Caspian, and they make cast frames as well as barstock.  Many top notch pistols of other designs have cast frames, and nobody bats an eye.  With 1911s, people make an issue out of it.  It's all in the machining.  

The Philipino guns are poor quality, but that does not necessarily mean a gun that will not work.  They use inferior quality steel, and inferior heat treat.  The machining is sometimes out of spec with regards to pin hole location, perpendicularity, or parallellity.  Slide rails can be less than straight.  Most of the Philipino guns are fine for plinkers, and can be great carry guns.  

Don't discount your gun just because it's Philipino.  It may have some soft steel, but it's not going to be an issue for general use.  Like anything else, it all depends on how it works for you.  Most people would agree Hyundai makes poor quality cars, but there are plenty of people driving good ones day in and day out.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:45:22 PM EDT
[#2]
what you have is the Medallion model. I started out with the standard mil spec model and had some mods done. haven't had any problems with mine, other than the Chip McCormick hammer strut that I put in it, i put the stock one back, haven't had a problem since. As far as the metal being soft, I've got some slight Peening in the slide stop notch, but it's on par with every other well used 1911, including my girlfriends Springfield Champion. Personally, i think it's a great starter gun if you are getting into 1911's, I love mine, But the springer bug has bitten so now i'm saving for a GI model.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:24:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Marc, that peening is usually caused by weak mag springs that do not push the slide stop all the way up.  I just wanted to mention it for the next 1911 you get.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top