Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 9:58:27 AM EDT
First, thanks for looking.

I have the bug for a 1911. I have to admit, my 1911 knowledge is limited.  I had a Series 70 years ago, but alas, I sold it.

I have always wanted a custom 1911 but I am unable to afford one at this time.  What I am considering is to buy a Colt 1991 or Series 70 in the near future, and then send it to Yost-Bonitz for the 1* package when I have the funds.

First question.  What are the major differences in the 1991 vs. Series 70?

Second question.  Which one would you buy?

Third question (Don't know if anyone knows the answer or not) Does the pistol you send to Yost-Bonitz have to be new/unfired?  Probably should just call them for this answer, but just taking a chance that someone here might know.

Thanks for the help,

Cavu
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:33:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Major differences between 1991 and series 70:
1.  Colt 1991 is a series 80 gun has extra parts for a firing pin block safety feature. Colt                series 70 has not been available new for a some time. Other mfr make series 70 type guns.

2.  I would buy series 70 frame, slide, etc and build what I want. That is what I do for a living.

3.  Yost-Bonitz does not care id fired or not. They will return their product to you and it will have been proof tested and test fired.

E-mail if any other questions. Also send IM to Hobbs 5624 he has a good level of communication and good 1911 skills. Charles.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 10:58:55 AM EDT
[#3]
why not buy a Kimber?
you can get one for about $750 - 1,000 that will be in a config very close to what you are looking for.

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
The series 70 is you highest quality option.  Yost-Bonitz doesn't advertise building 1*s on Kimbers.  I had problems with my Kimber, and it was a type I.  The new Kimbers have a god-forsaken Schwartz firing pin safety and an external extractor such that they are arguably not even 1911s anymore.  Yost-Bonitz will build the 1* on Colt's and Springfields, like the GI model which goes for almost half the price of the (basegun) Colt.  Springfields are made in Brazil by a good Brazillian military arms maker.  The configuration is (simpler) like that of the series 70.  The Springfield GI based 1* is probaly your best economical option to get a great 1911.  I have both a Springfield and a Colt (series 80) based 1911s customized by Yost-Bonitz.  Colt series 80s are very fine base guns too.  I'm sorry (Kimber fans) I don't recommed you stop short of a customized 1911 on a good base gun (Colt, Kimber, Springfield).  The problem is is that Kimber wants to sell you all their fancy parts (beavertail, extended thumbsafety, etc.) which IMO still need to be replaced to get the confidence in the reliablity to rival a Glock, such that your better off starting with Colt or Springfield and sending it to a good smith.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:36:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Yo-Bo will customize a series I Kimber, definitely not a series II however.  I'm more than happy with my 1* Elite built on a series 80 Colt.  
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:14:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Yost-Bonitz?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:36:28 PM EDT
[#7]
For those looking to broaden their horizons...

Yo-Bo
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Major differences between 1991 and series 70:
1.  Colt 1991 is a series 80 gun has extra parts for a firing pin block safety feature. Colt series 70 has not been available new for a some time. Other mfr make series 70 type guns.

2.  I would buy series 70 frame, slide, etc and build what I want. That is what I do for a living.

3.  Yost-Bonitz does not care id fired or not. They will return their product to you and it will have been proof tested and test fired.

E-mail if any other questions. Also send IM to Hobbs 5624 he has a good level of communication and good 1911 skills. Charles.  

I am a little confused.  I definitely believe you, but what is this then?  Colt Series 70

I see where it says replica.  So this thing isn't an "authentic" Series 70?  How does this differ from the original Series 70?  Is this ok for the Yost-Bonitz 1* customizing?

Thanks again guys,

Cavu
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:01:25 AM EDT
[#9]
If you're doing the 1* package, why not use the same base that they do and get a Springfield GI model?  The frame and slide are really the only things that get used in this package and those two parts are VERY well made by SA.  They also lack the FPS of a Series 80 which is a nice bonus.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:15:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I have a NRM stainless Series 80, and it came with an incredible trigger right from the factory.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 4:50:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Cavu, the link you provided with the Series 70 gun is a Series 70 gun.  It's a new production Series 70 gun, and it's a fine piece.  I have FROST18E's in my safe right now, and it's as fine a gun as Colt ever produced, in my opinion.  Here's a summary of Colt 1911s that might explain some of the differences.

Colt made 1911s, then 1911A-1s for both military and civilian markets since 1912.  I won't get into all the variations.  Commercial Colts were of high quality, but eventually, the machinery at the factory got old.  Colt changed their roll mark in 1970, coming out with the actual "MKIV Series 70".  Many people feel that Colts that are marked as such are the pinnacle of 1911s.  By the end of the 70s, Colt quality had slipped quite a bit.  They had problems with aging equipment, but more problematic was poor morale amongst workers and poor labor relations, leading to many guns being put together by completely unmotivated people.

Colt stopped making the"MKIV Series 70" in 1983, if memory serves, and that is when they went to the "MKIV Series 80".   With this model they incorporated the new "Series 80 passive firing pin blco", which consists of two levers in the frame, a plunger in the slide, and a plunger spring, which act to block the firing pin until the trigger is pressed almost all the way rearward.  Many do not like this, whough it will not negatively effect anything if it's not tampered with by the unskilled.  It will ad about 3 to 6 ounces to your trugger pull, which most people cannot feel, and any good gunsmith can compensate for during a trigger job.

In 1991 they came out with an economy version of the "MKIV Series 80" called the M1991.  It had a different roll mark, with with large numbers on the left side of the slide that said "M1991".  Most found them to be ugly.  They also cut corners on finish, grips, and started using plastic for minor parts like the trigger and mainspring housing.

Somewhere along the line in the 90s, Colt decided to come out with what are referred to as "enhanced" models.  This was to compete with companies like Springfield and Kimber who were putting out guns with "custom" features, like match triggers, beavertails, etc.  They had features like a "beavertail" that really was a poor excuse for one, an undercut at the trigger guard/fontstrap juncture, and a flat top slide, as well as a few other features.  These guns also have narrower barrel hoods, like a Gold Cup.  These guns, like the XS and XSE, cost quite a bit more than the standard Colts with little in the way of additional features, and were not very well received.  However, they are nice guns, and definitely worth it to some.

A couple years ago Colt revamped their factory with new equipment.  They were also under new management (which has happened many times along their history).  They came out with a bunch of new guns, and also updated their 1991.  The new models, of which the "Series70" is one of, are simply some of the best 1911s they ever made.  These guns are loved by purists who hate the Series 80 firing pin block, since the Series 70 doesn't have these parts.  I actually prefer the "new" production Series 70 guns over the original.  They came out with a WWII repro, and also a WWI repro.  The 1991 was updated with a new roll mark, and also a better finish.  Fit and finish on these is as good or better than the "MKIV Series 80" pistols that they were orginally an economy version of.  

A side note on 1991s is that they are referred to as NRM and ORM, or New Roll Mark and Old Roll Mark.  NRM guns don't even say 1991 on them.  NRM guns are every bit as good as the new Series 70 guns, but have the addtion of the Series 80 firing pin block parts.

I know this was a long post, so I apologize.  With the dizzying array of Colts out there, it's hard to figure out what's what.  Good luck on your future purchase.  One other thing, it was mentioned MonkeyGrip that the Springfield GI is a good base gun.  If money is important, it's the perfect choice.  You will save a couple hundred dollars or more using one of these, and after the 1* package, the only difference will be the name on the gun.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:50:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Hobbs5624 dont apologize!!

Thanks for the great info.  It was extremely helpful and I appreciate you taking the time to explain some of the details for me.

Thanks again,

Cavu
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:54:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
If you're doing the 1* package, why not use the same base that they do and get a Springfield GI model?  The frame and slide are really the only things that get used in this package and those two parts are VERY well made by SA.  They also lack the FPS of a Series 80 which is a nice bonus.  

I know that the SA 1911's are nice firearms, as are the Kimbers, and several others.  As I mentioned, I had owned a Colt 1911 15 years ago or so, and I would really like another one.  I don't know if there is any logical reason for wanting to go with the Colt, but then I am not all that logical when it comes to gun purchases anyway!!!

P.S.  Don't tell my wife that though!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:16:49 AM EDT
[#14]
The Colt is the best basegun.  Their being very expensive now is the only drawback, and hard to find depending on your luck and where you live.  They still make the series 70, which would be a little better since it avoids the firing pin safety parts, but there's nothing wrong with the series 80 as a great base gun too and the series 80 is cheaper and easier to find.  Yo-Bo produces a lot of great guns based on the series 80.  

You should be made aware that Colts prices are now at about $700 (or more) for the basic new series 80 and $850 for the basic new series 70.  That plus Yo-Bo's $900 for the (most basic) 1* modifications (Colt 70 total = $1,745) you can see why people recommend the Springfield GI ($1,295 complete from Yo-Bo).  

www.thegunsource.com/shopping_category.aspx?idcategory=2&idmanufacturer=32

1911's aint cheap.  But they are very beautiful and very functional when done right.  
Go for it!  Colt Yo-Bo!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The Colt is the best basegun.  They are very expensive now is the only drawback, and hard to find depending on your luck and where you live.  They still make the series 70, which would be a little better since it avoids the firing pin safety parts, but there's nothing wrong with the series 80 as a great base gun too and the series 80 is cheaper and easier to find.  Yo-Bo produces a lot of great guns based on the series 80.  

You should know that Colts prices at now at about $700 (or more) for the basic new series 80 and $850 for the basic new series 70.  That plus Yo-Bo's $900 for the 1* modifications (Colt 70 total = $1,745) you can see why people recommend the Springfield GI ($1,295 complete from Yo-Bo).  

www.thegunsource.com/shopping_category.aspx?idcategory=2&idmanufacturer=32

Your prices are a little low.  A complete 1* Enhanced on a Springer is $1445.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Your prices are a little low.  A complete 1* Enhanced on a Springer is $1445.

1* = $1295
1* enhanced = $1445

He was looking at the 1* package.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:47:15 PM EDT
[#17]

1* = $1295
1* enhanced = $1445

He was looking at the 1* package

Yeah.  So there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top