Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2005 10:13:40 PM EDT
Just wanted some advice before I made any final decisions on buying a Springfield 1911 GI .45. I was going to get the 5" parkerized model. Since this will be my first 1911, and having no prior experiance with a 1911 what so ever, I was wondering if this is a reliable model for weekend plinking, if there are any general faults or negatives to this particular pistol, ect ect..... Thanks for the help in advance.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a good pistol. The only faults are the ILS safety in the mainspring housing ($30 or less to swap) and the fact that its in GI configuration. Which isn't really a problem. I guarantee you'll end up tinkering with it somehow. I say you should go for it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 10:56:37 PM EDT
[#2]
They're a very good deal and you'd be happy with it.  Until you feel the urge to modify it.  But that's entirely up to you.  

Go for it!  
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I love it, it's on my hip CL right now. I did put a long trigger on it tho
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:00:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The sights on a GI leave a little to be desired. I'd definately upgrade them to something a little better like Novak, Heinie, or Bomar style sights/night sights. Many people also get "hammer bite" with the GI style grip safety. A beavertail will prevent this. You may want to think about getting either a 1911 that already has hese 2 features.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#5]
My GI is reliable and accurate. For a plinker I think it is the best deal going however I do not reload .45 so the ejection port does not bother me and for target shooting I prefer the GI sights to the Novaks I have on my Loaded version because I can shoot better at 25rds or longer with them. I think it is because of the smaller front blade. Most people do not like the front sight. I also prefer the arched mainspring housing and the GI saftey grip and manual saftey. I guess I am just a weirdo. LOL
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got the GI champion (4"bbl. )

It will sling ball all day and ask for more.

Even with the smallish sights and my aging eyes it still shoots
Minute of tincan/badguy at normal distances.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
I think most will agree that they seem to be decent pistols.  It would also seem that general consensus states the first thing you will want to alter, if you do, may be the sights.  I see no reason why it wouldn't be reliable.  Go, shoot and be merry!
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got one and like it.

Two problems, however:
1)  Mine failed to eject 3 - 4 rounds per magazine.  Fixed it by filing/tweaking a replacement extractor.

2)  Incomplete machining of the frame resulted in breakage of one of the projections on either side of the barrel link.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I've put about 300 rounds thru my new .45 GI Model......and it's had a few hickups...but it could be just my handloads not working right.

230 RN factory loads seem to work best....replaced the ILS Mainspring system.....and put on Hogue Repro Walnut Grips without the U-S Initial.

Should look more "Stock".  Seems like a good deal, and with the Loaded Coupon, I'll get a bunch of Springfield Mags for way under list $$$$.    
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I had to tune my extractor
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks everyone for replying, think im going to pick the .45 up tommora.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 9:16:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Yeah, mine got a Wilson extractor and runs like a top now.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 4:32:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Yeah, mine got a Wilson extractor and runs like a top now.

I have noticed, over the years, that replacing a Springfield Extractor with a Wilson Bulletproof ( or equivalent ) right off the bat saves a lot of headaches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top