Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 3:17:45 PM EDT
i'm trying to decide between a mil-spec or GI model for a base gun to start with. The sights would likely get changed on either model. I wanted to know how important the lowered ejection port is, other than saving brass. Is it worth it since i don't reload.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:49:57 PM EDT
[#1]
No Army issued 1911's ever had lowered ejecton ports because they aren't necessary in a combat pistol. They are necessary in a target pistol because the extractor and ejector get tuned to shuck the brass sideways, instead of straight up and back. IMHO, the sights on the GI model are a joke and need to be replaced immediatly. The sights on the mil-spec are not  adequate, they're good. I have them on a Para 14-45 and have no problems hitting what I aim at. I'm going through the same decision process right now. Trying to decise on what to buy and what to upgrade later. Personally I'm leaning tward the full size loaded because while it's about $300 more than the GI, it comes with Novak sights that would cost about $250 to have added later. I think I would go with the mil-spec in your case because it dosen't need anything done to it to be a good carry gun.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:40:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top