Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2005 6:12:46 AM EDT
Well, here she is. Freshly Parkerized, and awaiting a coat of Moly-Resin, but almost done:

With a Milt Sparks OWB Holster

Here's a shot at the beavertail. It's not too bad a fit for my first try...

Caspian frame and slide
Springfield barrel and trigger
Wilson mainspring housing
STI sights, firing pin and beavertail
Brown bushing and spring guide
Nowlin hammer and sear
McCormick bushings
Wolff springs

I'm getting 2" groups @ 20 yards with UMC hardball. Good shooter, though not very pretty right now. I plan to 2 tone Stainless and Black with the moly-Resin, then add some McCormick slimline rosewoods to finish it off. I'll post pics when she's all done.

BTW, I got everything you see here.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:22:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Mmmmm, purdy.  I like it a lot, even in it's parkerized state.  Stainless and black will be a good combo.  I'm thinking about redoing my springfield frame in OD.  Let us know how that stainless moly resin works out for you.  I love the others but I've never used stainless.  MJD
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Not pretty?  Dayum, it looks perfect with Park.  Forget the Moly-Resin.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The park job really came out well, much better than I expected for my first gun.  I seriously considered leaving it, but I'm going to carry out the original plan. It may be a few weeks, but I'll put up new pics as soon as I get the Moly-Resin done and have the new grips.
Thanks for the kind words.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 11:46:55 AM EDT
[#4]
I think it looks great!  What was the total cost of the build?  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think it looks great!  What was the total cost of the build?  

Enquiring minds want to know!  Looks Great.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Was this a home Park also?  Either way, you did a great job!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:16:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys for all the comments.
It was a home park job, I used LCW manganese park solution. (don't forget the steel wool if you use it, directions on the jug. I forgot it the first run on some magazines and it worked, but was not nearly as dark as the pistol)
The total cost will be right at $800.00 once the Moly-Resin is done.
I sure didn't save any money building, but I am pretty proud of the finished product.
Thanks again,
Leatherneck

BTW, I got everything you see there, and the stuff for parkerizing at MidwayUSA.
Competitive prices and super fast shipping.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:53:18 AM EDT
[#9]
1911's are not like AR15's in that they are cheaper to put together than to buy. I mean, you can get a Springfield GI for $399 easy, and I'll have over $1000 into my build before I even get a finish on it
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
1911's are not like AR15's in that they are cheaper to put together than to buy. I mean, you can get a Springfield GI for $399 easy, and I'll have over $1000 into my build before I even get a finish on it

Don't I know it, brother.
I am pretty proud of her though, and the knowledge you gain is worth something, to me at least...
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 11:44:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Any problem fitting the slide/frame together or any other parts?  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 1:54:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Not really, once I worked up the nerve.
Check out this website:
Roderus Custom Gunworks
And this one too:
BlindHogg

Both have some really good photo walk thrus on building a 1911.
I used Wheeler Enginering lapping compound 600 grit to lapp the frame to the slide. Make sure you de-grease after it's lapped in place so the compound does not continue to cut after the final lapping.
NOTHING, and I mean nothing is "drop-in" on a 1911. Not that I bought drop-in parts, but even those parts that I thought should be easy and pretty standard as far as specs required hours of hand fitting.
It's a labor of love.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How can you compare the price of a GI to a custom pistol?  You must compare the price of a equally equipped custom pistol to this.  I have yet to see any GI's with adjustable sights, extended safety, commander hammer, beavertail, extended trigger, etc.  I dunno, I think that is a VERY unfair comparison.

You have a awesome looking pistol there, Leatherneck.  Kudos to you!

ETA:  Anybody know who makes the dual paddle in the pic on the Roderus site from above?   I think I may have just fallen in love.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:06:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Thanks guys for all the comments.
It was a home park job, I used LCW manganese park solution. (don't forget the steel wool if you use it, directions on the jug. I forgot it the first run on some magazines and it worked, but was not nearly as dark as the pistol)
The total cost will be right at $800.00 once the Moly-Resin is done.
I sure didn't save any money building, but I am pretty proud of the finished product.
Thanks again,
Leatherneck

BTW, I got everything you see there, and the stuff for parkerizing at MidwayUSA.
Competitive prices and super fast shipping.

Looks good!

Did the $800 include all the tools you needed? Did you look at any other frames to build on before you settled on a caspian? I keep thinking about picking up an Essex frame and slide and having a go at building one myself. I don't know if I have the patience. I'm more of a framing carpenter than a finish carpenter if you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:12:53 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm all thumbs myself, and I struggled through it.
The only experience I have with Essex frames is a buddies, and it has a pretty good sized imperfection on the dust cover. Nothing a coat of Moly-Resin wouldn't cover, but it makes me wonder about overall intergity, especially if you had one in a more crucial spot.
This is my first 1911, so I'm by no means an expert, but I'd go with a Caspian frame and slide. Mine was perfect, not imprefections at all, and with going on 900 rounds through it it has preformed flawlessly.
The $800.00 does not include tools, luckily I have friends with lots of tools.
You'll need a bench vise, some needle files and a big mil-bastard, a plunger staking tool, some lapping compound, a beavertail fitting jig, sandpaper, I think that's about it. Lots of filing and sanding...
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 1:51:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I had heard that essex had there stuff together now, maybe not afterall. Looks like caspian is the way to go then.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:40:08 AM EDT
[#17]

ETA:  Anybody know who makes the dual paddle in the pic on the Roderus site from above?   I think I may have just fallen in love.

OMG something i know.. i mean why yes, yes i do know...

i remember seeing these holsters when i was looking at a local dealer's website.. their spendy but nice...

http://www.grahamholsters.com/belt_holsters.htm

Jess
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:19:19 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

OMG something i know.. i mean why yes, yes i do know...

i remember seeing these holsters when i was looking at a local dealer's website.. their spendy but nice...

http://www.grahamholsters.com/belt_holsters.htm

Jess

Heated the link for you:
link
Nice looking stuff, and very reasonable prices. Haven't had any personal experience with this company.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:57:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Actually you do get what you pay for.  If you put $1000 worth of parts into your build you should have something a hell of a lot nicer than a Mimfield Armory Mim-spec.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:48:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Check out Marc Morganti at geminicustoms.com, He does great 1911 work and does alot with caspians.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:16:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Check out Marc Morganti at geminicustoms.com, He does great 1911 work and does alot with caspians.

Ummm, thanks for the unsolicited ad.
If you've got pics of a pistol you built, or questions/comments about the one I built, please join in the conversation.
If you are just spamming this site for a buddy down there in KY, keep it to yourself.
Thanks,
Leatherneck
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:37:12 AM EDT
[#22]
IMHO it is a fair comparison. When you're building, it does not cost *much* more to get a commander style hammer, beavertail, extended thumb safety, good trigger, and a good sear/disconnector etc than it would to get cheap parts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top