Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/11/2005 10:04:52 AM EDT
In the Government Model, which one would you buy and why ?  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with Colt because of 5, never had one that didn't work right out of the box! They have nearly 100 years experance making them...

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Springfield either, but if a Colt were available in the same condition?

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a Colt auto man, personally, having owned at least 4 1911' Colts that I can remember off hand. Also have had other "brands" which work just fine too.  Recently I went looking for another Commander, found one... but was offered a Springer which had been fixed up with pearl grips, gunsmith trigger job, throated and smoothed ramp, beveled mag well, beavertail safety and titanium hammer, all nice and tight and smooth, for the same price as the 1991 Combat Commander. I couldnt refuse the deal even tho it isnt a Commander... the value is there, no regrets. I would not buy a cast frame Filipino-job unless I was really short on funds and needed one right now.
Colt is USA made, traditional, and the parts etc are ubiquitous, and they hold/increase their value...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:01:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a springfield in 9mm and a Colt in .45.  In terms of gun for the money?  Springfield.  The Colt is well made and has been reliable.  The trigger was better out of the box on the pony gun.  The springfield had all of the do-dads to make them nicer.  I would say build quality was better on the colt but the front site came off after a few trips to the range.  Gunsmiths seem to like Colts for the quality of small parts.  YMMV.  For the basic, GI style spur hammer and all, and given the going rate of 400 for the springfield and about 550 for the colt.  I'd buy the Colt if money were no option.  Either would be fine, but the poney will have a higher resale.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:23:20 PM EDT
[#4]
The recent production Colt 1991A1s and the Series 70 repros are some of the cleanest Colts I have seen in A LONG time.

If you dont mind paying for American made and the pony on the side, get the Colt.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Colt. There is something about the pony on the side of a gun........
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:01:40 PM EDT
[#7]
If you have the money get a Colt. If you need value get a Springfield.
I think the Colts are overpriced. For the same money as a basic Colt you can get an upgraded Springer.
I have a Custom Loaded stainless Springfield. Even with the extras I have in it it's probably valued at around  $850.00.
What does a plain Jane Government Model Colt sell for?
Jim
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:17:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I think about $800. I could get one for under $700 though.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:30:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at this Springfield model  PX9151L Springfield full size 1911A1, then click on THIS pic.
What would a Colt is a comparable configuration cost?
Don't get me wrong, I love Colts. I just can't afford them anymore. Dad and I have several. The 2 .45acp Gold Cup National Match and the Gold Cup National Match .38 Super pistol never leave the safe. They are almost too valuable to shoot. Dad has a few Kimbers, but we shoot the Springfields more than all the others.
As far as out of the box reliability, no 1911 is reliable out of the box, except possibly a custom pistol. They all need about 500 rounds to break in. My Colts did, my Springer did, they all do. I would never depend on a nib pistol to defend my life.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Get a Colt!!

You will not be dissapointed, and they are made in the  USA
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#11]
The same can be said for Springfield Armory.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 10:42:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Jim

assembled and final machined maybe, but casted and created in Brazil is more correct.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#13]
SA uses forged frames and slides, from Imbel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:00:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Which would *I* buy?

Colt for the history, and for resale value.  Springfield is OK if you just want a 1911 and aren't particular.  
It all depends on where you are in your gun collecting life cycle.  If you're just beginning, getting a Springfield might be recommended because they are cheaper and folks tend to mess with their first 1911 quite a bit.   Get a Colt when you can appreciate it.  Personally I don't have a Springfield any more and I can't honestly think of any circumstance where I'd want one, outside of getting a really good deal on one.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:39:00 AM EDT
[#15]
That's kind of weird to me.

My first 1911A1 was a Colt.

My second was a Kimber.

My most recent, a Springfield.

I got each one for a very different reason.  I more or less buy guns for what I'm planning to do with them than I do by the label that's on them.

To shoot, I like the Springfield the best.  I carry the Kimber.  I loaned the Colt to my dad because I just hardly ever shoot it anymore and he didn't have a .45.  All American men need a .45.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:55:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
All American men need a .45.  

That is the truth!
And an AR. I'm working on the AR.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:14:29 PM EDT
[#17]
If you are going to modify or have one built, go with the springfield.  The slide to frame fit is much tighter than the colt and and the frame rails will not need to be peened to tighten the slide.  This saves an expensive and time consuming step. Otherwise the guns are nearly identical and the springfield is cheaper.  PLUS, I almost forgot, NO series 80 firing pin block which F's up a nice trigger job.    
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:40:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Colt
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#19]
springfield hands down
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#20]
not even a contest
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:29:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Springfield.  100% no bullshit lifetime warranty, not that I've ever needed it.

The fact that Colt was one of the lowest bidders for the 1911 they USED to make for the military means nothing to me...

Honestly, it all comes down to what you prefer, try them both and see which one suits you better...

` 45
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:44:13 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Springfield.  100% no bullshit lifetime warranty, not that I've ever needed it.

The fact that Colt was one of the lowest bidders for the 1911 they USED to make for the military means nothing to me...

Honestly, it all comes down to what you prefer, try them both and see which one suits you better...

` 45

Colt has better fit and finish, and their rollmarks are awesome.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:14:52 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Jim

assembled and final machined maybe, but casted and created in Brazil is more correct.

+2 They are FORGED.

Anyways...Brazil has some of the most modern and high quality steel production facilities in the world. The forgings from Imbel are very well done. They are not some 3rd -world hackjob made behind some hut in the rain forest.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:27:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
springfield hands down

Very informative.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#25]
In the past 60 days I've bought a SA GI milspec, and Colt 1991A1, and an SA Milspec.

I liked the GI model, but wouldn't want to get work done on it as it should stay the way it is IMO. I got it cheap, never shot it, just checked out the trigger, and sold it.

Same day I sold it, I picke dup a Colt 1991A1. I compared it to the SA. The SA was nicer. This Colt was one of the 1991A1 models marked as such on the slide. The trigger was crappy (series 80). I sold it but kept the Wilson mag it came with.

Yesterday I got my SA Milspec. I'll be keeping this one. I like the lowered/flared ejection port, which is the only thing is has on the GI model for the most part. I got it new for $419 shipped. I couldn't get a junky Colt for that.

The slide to frame fit is very tight. Finish is nice and even, and there aren't a lot of machining marks inside.

I'm building up a 460 Rowland out of it, so I wanted to go with a forged frame. I'm sure the new Colts are as well, but after I have a beavertail custom fitted and a trigger job, I'll only have in it, what a stock Colt would cost.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:22:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Springfield is the better choice. So what if it says Imbel, Colt is made in a horribly Communist state. And let me say, Springfields, late ones anyway, are tight as hell! If you need  enhancements, you can pay for them and still be ahead of the game pricewise as compared to a Colt. Screw  Colt. They should have listened to consumers besides the military. (who aren't buying 1911s at this time anyway!)
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:29:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Imbel forgings are great stuff.  Imbel is a licensed manufacturer for FN.  I don't think FN would want a company that makes junk associated with its name.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top