Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/9/2005 11:29:23 PM EDT
I am a newbie and as that i try to read as much as a i can about a new subject.. i can not find a mod list for the 1911..

basicly my question is when i get my 1911 what kind of mods can be done and what will make a big differnce?

and i mean more in the line of functing parts not so much things for erganomics. IE i plan and MAYBIE replacing the grips when i buy mine and most likely replacing the sights...

i figure i would be running the gun bone stock for around 2000 rounds before i even brake into it.. unless there is something that i can identify would make a differnce..

any sugestions?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:34:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on what you get to start with.   If it's a GI spec pistol most like a beavertail grip safety, long trigger and flat mainspring housing as well as higher profile sights.    Shoot it stock and see what you like and what you dont.   I have 3 1911s, a SA Milspec that has been modified, a Colt commander modified and a SA GI model that's bone stock.   I'm perfectly happy with the bone stock GI model as well as the mods on my other pistols.   So far the GI is up to around 1500 rounds without a single hiccup of any sort.    This is with wolf, lswc reloads, and Ranger SXT JHP ammo.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If i remember right you where Mr I love cans at the browns camp shoot? i think i must have shot 100 rounds plus out of your 22lr 1911?

thanks for the input.. so far every 1911 i have shot i have loved.. the only thing i can ever see myself changing would be sites.. but for the love of god the first time it would jam on me i would strip the sucker apart and try to figure out what happend..  

this would be my first handgun that i buy.. i was looking at picking up a Mil-spec or a GI depending on how much in the way of funds i had at the time.. . hell i'm about ready to give up my 22s and 870 just so i can go out and buy one i've had so much fun shooting them..

Jess

*edit i just wish to add that i dont know jack about what would cause me to want something like a flat mainspring or long trigger (i think of something like a long trigger pull weach i normally hate)
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 11:49:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, that was me.  The .22 pistol was a Walther P22 with suppressor.   I had 2 of my 1911s out there, should have told me you were in the market.   I could have shown you mine and what is and is not stock and let you shoot them both.    I guess maybe next time.    My govt models never malfunction.   My stainless commander did when it was new but a bit of break in cured that ( until a smith installed a match barrel but that's another story)

I'd personally lean towards a parkerized Mil Spec for your first 1911.   They're damned reliable and decently shootable right out of the box and you can generally find one at the funshow (expo) for around $425ish.  
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:07:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Ya know that was deffently something that i sould have brought up.. but that 22LR converted Norico was a blast.. i loved the fact that it could be shot with no problems all day long with worry about the cost of ammo.. (weach i wish i could have said about the 45 win mag.. that thing was really fun but man i hated to think about the cost of the ammo)  perhaps we could get togather and shoot? ammo is on me this time..

Jess
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Wasnt my converted 1911.   I dont know who had that one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
yikes i dont remember whos it was then...  but  i know you did let me shoot your surpressed mac.. and thanks for that :-D anyway i'll shoot you a PM in the morning perhaps we can set a date to go and blow off some ammo.

Jess
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top