Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 11:59:39 PM EDT
...saw that it was closed.     How much do you think this beauty went for?

www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=6870058
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#1]
$1860 according to the bidder's list.

"Current Price:  $1,860.00"

Seems like a great deal for a brand new RR, but there are lots of counterfits out there now.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:17:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have found exactly ONE "new" RR in all my years of searching. I paid a bit over 1 K for it. I took 2 hours to look it over. Mine is a 1945. Some were made and never issued and were sold in the 50s and early 60s thru the DCM so there are some out there. The price paid was actually pretty good as I have seen them go for around 3 grand if new. The one I bought had a two tone appearence which IS correct on some late war guns. I suspect that made people wonder a bit. However all marking AFTER parking were correct and if it was a fake I seriously doubt that someone would 2 tone it, it would make no sense to do that. I probably would not buy a new ww2 gun sight unseen [in my hands] unless I had the right to refuse it and send it back. Just too many frauds out there. If you do come across one and can verify [markings, SN#, BBL markings, grips etc] it to be correct it is worth a substancial premium over a lightly used one.

SN# shows it to be made in 1944, somethings funny about that, never seen a 1944 NIB only 1945s. Also the box is BS, and my DCM box for my Ithica [Yes, original box and all PW from red river arsenal came with that one] is nothing like it. I call BS on at least the packaging. Most in the "craft box" is hooey, and was added to up the price. Also, it was not cosmoed from the factory, thats for sure. And notice the mag inserted, they did NOT come with 3 mags. In 44 the war was still going hot and heavy and weapons were not slathered down in cosmo because they were immediately going out for war use.

There is some photoshopping going on also. Look on the front of the trigger guard [right side]. I think they washed a XX out there. Mine is stamped with a 4. If selling a NIB I would show all marks BUT the SN#, all the marks are pretty well washed out making one wonder a bit. Could this actually be a rebuild? If so it is certainly not NIB. Worth decent money but not what a true NIB would be worth. My .02
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 7:08:15 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Seems like a great deal for a brand new RR, but there are lots of counterfits out there new.

I'm sketptical, if this was 1960, then I would say the chances are that it is a NIB 1911A1 is pretty good. I have seen a few fakes out there, where the gun was refinished, the rebuild arsneal mark obliverated.  
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I could be an original NIB, but the serial numbers and U.S. Army stampings look very shallow. My 1944 RR numbers are deeper, and clearer. There is quite a bit of finish wear on one side of the slide (holster wear?) also, too much for a NIB in my opinion. The pictures show a slight two tone, but digital pictures might not be truely representative of the true colors.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I could be an original NIB, but the serial numbers and U.S. Army stampings look very shallow. My 1944 RR numbers are deeper, and clearer. There is quite a bit of finish wear on one side of the slide (holster wear?) also, too much for a NIB in my opinion. The pictures show a slight two tone, but digital pictures might not be truely representative of the true colors.

I'm thinking it's the cosmoline making it look weird.  IMO, that's either the real deal or a very, very good attempt at a fake.  I'll agree the markings look a little shallow.  
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:51:32 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's not legit, it oughta be.  That thing is beautiful.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top