Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 3:57:18 PM EDT
Does anyone have blued parts on a parkerized 1911?

Do they blend in?  

Got any pics?
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:15:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Parkerizing is either a manganese phosphate or a zinc phosphate finish applied after bead blasting the steel parts. The bead blasting gives the parts a satin type finish. The parkerizing solutions will then put either a green (manganese) or gray (zinc) finish on the parts. The different alloys used in gun production will cause the parts to vary in hue and tone. So you may have light, medium and dark gray (or green) parts all on the same gun. It is in the eye of the owner as to whether these match or not. Personally, I think they look very gross and don't like to do this. I also recommend to my clients that we not do this. Charles the Gunsmith.

EDIT: Sorry I did not express myself well. What I meant to say was that the mix of gray (or green) parts on the same gun was OK. The finished product looks wierd to me if there is a mix of polished blue parts and satin finish gray parts. Charles.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Does anyone have blued parts on a parkerized 1911?

Do they blend in?  

Got any pics?

FWIW, the GI guns had small bits a different color all the time and they look fine to me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 2:24:23 AM EDT
[#3]
So who makes aftermarket parts that are, or look like they are, parkerized?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 6:07:08 AM EDT
[#4]
What parts are you looking for?
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 1:17:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Ambi safety (non-extended), high ride beavertail grip safety, and mag well.

A thought just crossed my mind.  Couldn't I use Gun-Kote (or something similiar) on the parts to match them up?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top