Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 8:07:53 PM EDT
Haven't had a .45acp in over 20 years, so here's what I recently picked up...  A new SA 1911A1 Mil-Spec "GI .45".  Took it out this past weekend and fired about 28 rounds just to see how it shoots.  All 28 impacted a 6" circle at 7 yards on the first time out.

What are some 'fun' mods you would recommend to 'clean it up'?

Thx-
~m38a1

ETA:
Mis-identified correction.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 12:38:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Dump the arched mainspring housing for a flat one. I'd go with a beavertail grip safety, but not everyone suffers hammer bite as much as I do.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 1:19:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I would not touch a thing personaly. I have that exact model and got it just to have a base gun to upgrade. After I shot it I did not want to touch it. So I got another 1911 to fix up. I actual have grown to like the sights. I shoot alot better with those at 25yrds that the bigger sights on my other 1911. To each his own though. I just like the look it has and prefer the arched mainspring housing. If I get another 1911 if it does not come with the arched housing I will replace it with one as well as if it has a full leanght guide rod I will replace it with the standard one. Just my two cents.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:01:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Were I you and the pistol functions fine after break in of 2-400 rounds, it would be tempting to leave it alone. Reliability, reliability- thats what the 1911 is for- that and "knock-down". Good 8 round mags, Brown or Wilson, maybe different grips. As far as the sights go at closer ranges or in fast firing, who uses them?? Personally I have always preferred the arched housing too. And one could throat and polish the feed ramp and clean up the trigger. I have always preferred using ball ammo for reliability, altho the newer 230 "ball-shaped" JHPs seem to work real well.
BTW, isnt the one in your pic the Springer GI model? I just bought what was sold to me as a "mil-spec" and the sights and stock grips are different.
Either way you have got a nice pistol there, one to be proud of IMHO. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
... BTW, isnt the one in your pic the Springer GI model? I just bought what was sold to me as a "mil-spec" and the sights and stock grips are different.

You got me wondering now...  The box says ".45 GI Milspec Park Pistol",  with a UPC code of PW9 108L

Guess I gotta go look that up?

ETA:
Yep.  It's the "GI .45" and not the "mil-spec".  Sorry....
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Spend your money on ammo and your energy on practice. Wring out any issues, if any and leave it alone. If you need or want other features, buy another 1911 that fits the bill. For some the ILS is a turn-off. Replace it if it booger-foos your mind. The flat vs. arched mainspring choice depends on which works best for you. Have fun!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#7]
The Mil-Spec model will have slanted cocking serrations (among other differences).   Your gun is a GI model.

ETA: I need to learn to type faster.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Spend your money on ammo and your energy on practice. Wring out any issues, if any and leave it alone. If you need or want other features, buy another 1911 that fits the bill. For some the ILS is a turn-off. Replace it if it booger-foos your mind. The flat vs. arched mainspring choice depends on which works best for you. Have fun!

El-Ron,
Yep, that's pretty much what I've decided to do.  Just shoot it and have fun the way it is.  If I want to trick one out, I'll just get another...
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 4:50:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Better sights, a beavertail grip safety, a commander hammer and a high quality extractor would be all Id do to that bad boy.

But thats just me.

Best thing to buy is ammo.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:59:44 PM EDT
[#10]
+1 On what lumpy said. Plus get some good mags for it. I got ten for my only 1911. It 's a Plus when at the range.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:31:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Ammo, Mags, go shoot, see what you feel "isn't right".

Learn your gun and see if you have anything that you think doesn't feel right when you shoot it.  Do you get hammer bite?  Do you have a hard time aquiring your target in the sights?

Go have fun with it and sort it through a bit.  Then see what comes out in the wash.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Polish the feed ramp and barrel throat. Have the ejection port cut and angled if you reload- it saves brass. Get good quality mags. These are the basics any pistol needs.
Shoot it for about 500 rounds and see what you want to change. Some like the original grips- I like Pachs but that's just me. See if the arched msh is a problem for your grip- it may not be a problem.
I would change the sights if you are going to do any competition. For just shooting and defense those are fine.
If you get hammer bite you can change to a commander style hammer and/or a beavertail grip safety.
You won't know what you need to change until you shoot it a lot, then the choice becomes easier.
Jim
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 8:00:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Only thing Im going to do to my next one is a hand fit barrel bushing and possibly replace mim parts with actual GI parts, just cause.   I can live with the sights, its a GI remade, and a damn good one at that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 6:17:22 AM EDT
[#14]
There are two routes you can take:

A) Full no holds barred custom
B) Keep mil-spec look but make some basic improvements

The sights would have to be the first thing to go.  The stock GI sights provide plenty of accuracy if you have the time to find them and line them up.  

A) I'd go with Novaks or Heinies, which would require milling the slide.

B) A set of King's hardballers -- the rear will drop in and the front will have to be restaked.

Next I'd have to do something about the grip safety/hammer bite.

A) Install and blend beavertail, usually requires frame refinish.  Install non-MIM Commander hammer.

B) Bob the hammer and dehorn the grip safety.

Trigger:  I don't mind the short trigger, but I like a medium length best.  Also chances are the trigger pull could stand some improving.

A) Install appropriate aftermarket trigger.  Install and fit good aftermarket sear (I like the Brown match sear).  Adjust overtravel screw and Loctite it in place.

B) Perform a basic trigger job on the stock parts, though if a gunsmith does it he may recommend ditching the parts for a better set.

I prefer a flat mainspring housing, and I'd like to lose the ILS parts.

A) Install a flat checkered MSH and have frontstrap checkered to match (heh heh).  Wouldn't hurt to install a lightened mainspring while you're at it.

B) Install a flat serrated MSH to keep the as-issued look.

I'm not a big fan of the GI grips.

A) Install set of Ahrends fully checkered hardwood or VZ micarta grips.

B) Install set of double diamond checkered walnut grips.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top