Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2005 8:40:33 AM EDT
Greetings

I have a relitively new Colt Commander XSE.  About 7-800 rounds through it without ANY issues. This is now my favorite 1911.  
At a recent ARFcom shoot with a few members (don't worry they'll be along shortly to heckle)  It had a bizzare failure: After firing a round normally, the slide did not return completely to battery. Racking the slide was "funny" after a few tries the Firing Pin Block fell onto the pavement. WTF? After disassembly, it appeared the Firing pin safety was jamming the firing pin, preventing it from comming out of the slide.  We reassembled the pistol and continued on... No issues of any kind (with the pistol) for the rest of the afternoon.

A detailed take down of the pistol revealed:
- Some carbon & gunk in the plunger of the 80 series FPS, but not too much.
- The firing pin block is loose, like drop out without wiggling loose.

Any other suggestions or ideas on what to look for?

TIA
chris
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 12:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Sure, What do you want to see?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds as if the FP spring is somehow FUBAR.  Lack of tension? Broken? Did you check the firing pin itself? Is it OK?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Firing pin looks fine, I will replace the spring anyway. This may be a question only time a long range trip will ansewer.  I posted a few pics over Here at FALfiles.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:37:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I had a similiar, not the same, situation.

The FP plunger tube jammed the firing pin forward and the FP stop moved half way down. It didn't fall out because the gun jammed immediately with a stuck forward FP. Perhaps my FP stop is more snug than yours also.

Since it's new I'd send it back to Colt, or if you have a pistolsmith nearby that's familiar with series 80 timing, have him fix if it doesn't cost much.

I replaced the plunger tube, a lever and the firing pin. Timing was off which eventually battered some parts. My gun has a lot of rounds through it and I believe the loose slide to frame fit also battered the FP plunger. Everything happened in "little steps".
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:13:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Do you have a trigger with an overtravel adjustment?  When you found the FP plunger on the ground, where was the FP stop?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the timing that may be the issue.
The firing pin stop fell out, the plunger was jammed with the Firing pin forward.
I'm thinking I'll replace those parts one at a time.

How are reviews on Colt's factory service?

I'm wary of sending back something with an intermittant problem, it might do more harm than good.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#10]
What about the trigger?  You described a classic example of what happens when too much overtravel is adjusted out on a series 80 gun.  Do you have a trigger with an overtravel adjustment?

Check this out and see if it makes sense:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=5&f=28&t=14922&page=1
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 5:09:05 AM EDT
[#11]
That does make sense Hobbs, but did not have any trouble with FTF's at all.  
Interesting that improper trigger controll might also cause the same issue with the timing. Releasing the trigger too soon might cause the plunger to drop before the firing pin returns.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 6:05:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Improper trigger control will not cause it.  The FP moves much quicker than your trigger finger can.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:45:19 AM EDT
[#13]
You ain't seen my trigger finger in action!

Hyoptheticaly, arbitrary release of the trigger at the wrong right moment?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:10:31 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
At a recent ARFcom shoot with a few members (don't worry they'll be along shortly to heckle)

Hi! (just a second, I have a sandwich to finish )

A detailed take down of the pistol revealed:
- Some carbon & gunk in the plunger of the 80 series FPS, but not too much.
- The firing pin block is loose, like drop out without wiggling loose.

I think your 80 series crap was dirty, but enough to cause the firing pin to lock up in the forward position? Hmmmmmm. Maybe. Your firing pin stop is toooo looooose. Best to get a new one and snugly fit it.

After that bizarre glitch, the Colt worked pretty nicely. We did a lot of fun multi-target speed drills.

The worst part was the chortling of Mr Glock Aimless in the background
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:18:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
When you found the FP plunger on the ground, where was the FP stop?

Slide was "locked" partially forward (out of battery), and would not move rearward. When I examined the gun and tried to cycle it, the firing pin stop fell out as I was finally able to move the slide rearward. Thats when I noticed the firing pin was stuck forward, allowing the (loose) stop to fall out.

We took the slide off and I pressed the plunger manually, which released the firing pin. We put it back together and went on our merry way. Gun functioned fine for the rest of the shoot, probably 100-150 rounds.

Strange failure, and another reason to dislike 80 series crap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 4:37:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top