Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2005 12:52:58 PM EDT
Just curious, all 3 of my 1911s have different ejectors.   I have an old Springfield mil spec that's got a semi extended ejector, a commander with a long ejector and a springfield GI with a beveled back ejector.   Why 3 different lenghts???

Is the commander frame the exact same as a govt model frame?   It would seem the dustcover is just a smidgeon shorter on the commander frame but it's a Colt and my govt models are SA.  

The commander is obviously more snappy in the recoil dept than the govt models.   Can I just slap a govt model slide/bbl on the commander frame ?  

I've got weaker wrists after some surgery a year ago and cant shoot the snappier commander as much as the govt models.   I'd strongly consider buying another slide/bbl to put on this frame if I can.  

One last issue.   My SA 1911s have a nice round radius on the sear.   The colt has a somewhat irregular shape with a bit of a raised section in the middle of the radius.   Why?  Is this related to the series 80 stuff??

Thanks for the help.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:25:02 PM EDT
[#1]
The faster the slide the longer the ejector needs to be. If it is to short it will either throw it in your face or it can possibly get caught as the slide comes back, usually it throws it in your face tho. As far as the SAs go. I would bet they put in whatever they had at the time, possibly from a different vendor. If it works, it works.

On the commander, no, keep the slide with the frame. As far as the sear, sounds as if it has chipped off, or someone did a poor trigger job. Does it work correctly? It should be the same across the width of it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:45:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Nobody did a trigger job, it's stock.    The colt sear is exactly as pictured in parts diagrams, it's fine just different.

The lump on the colt sear is just like pictured here above the pin hole.  

My SA, at least my older one has no raised bump there.

What's the reason for the difference?

My 2 govt models have run perfectly right from the box with ALL ammo.  I guess the ejector issue is not a biggie but they are definitely different.   The old one is like a 3/4 commander I guess
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's the reason for the different ejectors.  First, the extended ejectors came about for more reliable ejection.  Springfield out the semi extended one on because the longer extended ejectors have been known to make ejection of a fully loaded round difficult.  The GI has a GI profiled one since they were aiming at a GI looking gun.

The Commander frame has different length slide rails, a different length recoil bed in the frame, and a shorter dustcover.  If you put your Govt. model slide on it, it will have a gap between the front of the dustcover and the rear of the recoil spring tunnel area of the frame.

As for the sear, the relief in the Colt sear is a relief cut to prevent hammer hook drag.  The Springer does not have it, as it is a cost cutting method, and it's not a necessary design feature.  It is preferrable to have the relief though, especially in a gu nwith a trigger job.  Without it, you can have the hammer hooks dragging on the rear of the sear during cycling, and it will cause premature wear, which degrades the finely cut hooks when a trigger job is done.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top