Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 1:13:03 PM EDT
Okay I now know the reason why everyone love's the 1911 style pistol's. I just accquaired my first ever Springfield MIL-SPEC 1911 in .45 ACP with a 5" barrel with three eight round mag's and one seven round mag. I have never owned nor shot one before and when I got this one I did not think I would be able to shoot it because I have been haveing problems when shooting any other type of .45, I had no problem shooting this and it did not bother my bad wrist shooting and the recoil was not what I thought it would be shooting a all metal gun.

I took it out to the range today and shot 150 round's through it, I was a little concerned about it since I had never shot one. I set the target 40 feet away and then I loaded it up and took a good fireing stance, lined up the sight's, squeezed the trigger and boom, the first round was dead center in the 25 yard red center ring. I kept shooting all eight round and every one of them was dead center, I drop that mag and slamed another one in and kept shooting dead center, not all of my round's were in the center ring like the first eight but all of them were either dead center or all close to the center ring.

I am trying to find out about putting some night sight's on this, I took it to a gun smith and he told me it would be hard to do because the front sight has to be staked in and that would be alot of banging on the front sight, I was told I should look at buying a new slide that has the dovetail slot in the front and then I would be able to mount night site's on it but until then there would not really be any chence of me getting night sight's installed, but I am still looking to try and get it done I know someone out there does it and can do it for me.

I am looking at part's and other stuf I might want to get for this later and anything else that might work for me. I was told that alot of part's for what is called the GOVERMENT or other 5" 1911 pistol's would work in mine such as COLT, KIMBER and other SPRINGFIELD's, anyway's I guess I am now hooked on the 1911 style pistols and I will be looking and buying another one before to long to go with the one I have now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats....

BTW, I got a couple 1911 spare mags.......
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:21:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
anyway's I guess I am now hooked on the 1911 style pistols and I will be looking and buying another one before to long to go with the one I have now.

Oh you have it real bad, there no such thing as "I guess I am hooked" welcome to the obsession
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#3]
No you dont need a new slide, stay far away from that shop.

Any decent smith should be able to mill a dovetail in the slide for different sights, the same decent smith can also stake a sight for less money.    Enjoy your 1911, there's a couple pretty knowledgeable folks here that can guide you in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:39:48 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Congrats....

BTW, I got a couple 1911 spare mags.......

Okay how mant round's do they hold and much do you want for them , I got this 1911 from my grandfather, he had it for a while and never really shot, it has been sitting in his closet for ever he had a stroke a while back was never able to shoot it anymore. I did not even know he had this until my brother called me and asked if I had an FFL that would accept from a NON-FFL. I told him yes and  my brother sent it to me after my grandfather told him to and when I got it you could tell it had been sitting up it had some light surface rust on it and it was a little dirty.

I cleaned it up yesterday after I picked it up from my FFL friend here in town and got alot of it off and it look's great now it doe's have some small ruff spot's on the slide and a small scratch on the top, but hey I plan on sending it some place and have it redone in one of those tuff coat job's since I plan on carreying this as my CCW. I need to find a good IWB holster and mag carrier for an extra mag.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Mr45auto,

I plan on staying away from them they were acting like a bunch of idiot's when I was in there and trying to talk to me as if I had never fired a gun in my life, I just went by there because I knew they did gunsmithing and was wanting to check to see if they would be able to put some on for me.
I guess they answered my quiestion and did not really try and help me with anything.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:46:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
anyway's I guess I am now hooked on the 1911 style pistols and I will be looking and buying another one before to long to go with the one I have now.

Oh you have it real bad, there no such thing as "I guess I am hooked" welcome to the obsession

Yeah no kidding I have already found myself looking at some over on the EE.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Trijicon will install them for you.  I don't think they charged me.  Most gun plumbers will fuck it up.  A flat needs to be under the sight, or it will be damaged when it is staked.  A major name gun plumber fucked mine up, and I sent it to Trijicon to be done right (no charge).
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Trijicon will install them for you.  I don't think they charged me.  Most gun plumbers will fuck it up.  A flat needs to be under the sight, or it will be damaged when it is staked.  A major name gun plumber fucked mine up, and I sent it to Trijicon to be done right (no charge).

How did order the sight's? Did call Trijicon and order them and send the slide in to them and thet put them on or was there another way you did it?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:19:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:58:48 PM EDT
[#10]
SGB

Thanks I have been looking at it but I do not see any price's, I wrote down the phone number's for the one's here in TX so I will call them first and get some price's before I start calling out of state to get work done.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
If you click on the web links you can surf thier web sites for pricing information.

I found some with price's and some I will have to email, is there anyone on that list  that you would recommend over the other's to have it refinished and night sight's installed?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:02:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I took it to a gun smith and he told me it would be hard to do because the front sight has to be staked in and that would be alot of banging on the front sight, I was told I should look at buying a new slide that has the dovetail slot in the front and then I would be able to mount night site's on it but until then there would not really be any chence of me getting night sight's installed, but I am still looking to try and get it done I know someone out there does it and can do it for me.

Jesus, is this the world's laziest gunsmith or what?  He must have a hell of a sideline selling nonni juice or something because he sure doesn't act like he wants to do gunsmithing for a living.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:49:23 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I took it to a gun smith and he told me it would be hard to do because the front sight has to be staked in and that would be alot of banging on the front sight, I was told I should look at buying a new slide that has the dovetail slot in the front and then I would be able to mount night site's on it but until then there would not really be any chence of me getting night sight's installed, but I am still looking to try and get it done I know someone out there does it and can do it for me.

Jesus, is this the world's laziest gunsmith or what?  He must have a hell of a sideline selling nonni juice or something because he sure doesn't act like he wants to do gunsmithing for a living.

Basicaly yes when I just go in to look around at some stuff they act it half kill's them to answer a simple quiestion.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:24:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Definitely find a new shop and dont be afraid to pay the dough to have it overnighted to a good shop.   Save your money and figure out everything you want done and ship it to a good shop if there's nobody available locally that is a knowledgeable 1911 shop.     I dropped my commander off at a guy who said he knew what he was doing and he fucked up my barrel install.   I'm really wishing I spent the money to have it done right.    Now I may end up buying another barrel and paying the shipping/install.  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:45:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Definitely find a new shop and dont be afraid to pay the dough to have it overnighted to a good shop.   Save your money and figure out everything you want done and ship it to a good shop if there's nobody available locally that is a knowledgeable 1911 shop.     I dropped my commander off at a guy who said he knew what he was doing and he fucked up my barrel install.   I'm really wishing I spent the money to have it done right.    Now I may end up buying another barrel and paying the shipping/install.  

I have heard some of the story's about the work some guy's and do and the screw up some one's 1911. I am going to call Springfield and see how much it would cost for them to put some night sight's on and polish the feed ramp and barrel and just give it good going over and inspection, I think that is all I really need to do since I am not planning to turn this into some kind of race gun or anything. This will be my CCW/HD gun so I don't need alot of fancey thing's done to it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No you dont need a new slide, stay far away from that shop.

Any decent smith should be able to mill a dovetail in the slide for different sights, the same decent smith can also stake a sight for less money.    Enjoy your 1911, there's a couple pretty knowledgeable folks here that can guide you in the right direction.

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top