Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2005 1:10:56 AM EDT
There's been a lot of debate recently about internal and external extractors in 1911s,  but I'm not sure I understand the differences between the two.

I've tried googling this, and the majority of what I've found has been ads for parts. Not very informative.

Does anyone have any good links describing the two? There may already be a thread explaining this.

I don't want to start another debate, I just want info.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 1:19:27 AM EDT
[#1]
The internal extractor is inserted through the rear of the slide and held in place by the firing pin stop.   The external extractor is in the side of the slide and pinned in place like most other autoloader pistols.

The internal is it's own spring, it has a slight bend to it for tension.   The external uses a seperate coil spring pushing out the rear forcing the hook inward.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:44:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 7:02:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Internal/external realy dosen't matter as long as either is manufactured correctly. The problem with either arrises from slipshod workmanship and/or poor factory quality control.

Kimber is the only one having problems with thier external extractor (to my knowlege) due to above. Kimber and Colt both had issues with some internal extractors also do to the above. In all cases it has been Metal Injection Molded parts that failed.

What he said. Colt ceased making them in MIM several years ago and they have been made correctly ever since. They would replace the MIM one's for free at one time. SA has problems also with tensioning.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:02:24 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Kimber is the only one having problems with thier external extractor (to my knowlege) due to above. Kimber and Colt both had issues with some internal extractors also do to the above. In all cases it has been Metal Injection Molded parts that failed.

Actually, I know of several folks who are having problems with Sig's external extractor.  The pin that retains it can walk.  If it walks down (and it can), it will slam against the back of the frame, causing a failure to go into battery that can't be fixed without complete disassembly of the slide.

The Sig model also can suffer from a weak coil spring.  I know of some people who replaced the original spring with one from Wolffe and that seems to have corrected matters.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Corrections:

Kimbers external is held in place by the firing pin stop as well.
Sigs and Smiths have both had known extractor problems.

My thoughts on the matter are simple. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. The only "problem" with internal extractors is the need to build them out of decent steel and have a professional install, test and tune them. With the new external extractor, the manufacturer can have any idiot assemble the piece, build it out of scrap steel from a frying pan that has been MIM'ed together, and tell everyone that their new design is better and more reliable, when in fact its ust a manufacturing shortcut. I'll take an internal anyday.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
........... With the new external extractor, the manufacturer can have any idiot assemble the piece, build it out of scrap steel from a frying pan that has been MIM'ed together, and tell everyone that their new design is better and more reliable, when in fact its ust a manufacturing shortcut. I'll take an internal anyday.

That made me chuckle.  Probably true though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:20:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys, lots of good info. But I'm curious, what is "tuning" an extractor? I'm guessing this relates to the tension of the extractor, but I can't imagine how that might be done.

Is it some sort of fitting the extractor in place or what?

It sounds difficult.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 1:35:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Thanks guys, lots of good info. But I'm curious, what is "tuning" an extractor? I'm guessing this relates to the tension of the extractor, but I can't imagine how that might be done.

Is it some sort of fitting the extractor in place or what?

It sounds difficult.

Go here.  It's an article written by Bill Wilson pertaining to your inquiry.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top