Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2005 8:01:44 PM EDT
I'm part of a group of guys some of which do living history and we've talked about conversions for blanks on the 1911 platforms.  We've come up with two solutions, one easy, the other is for this forum.  

The easy one is "why not just get a .45 1911 style 8mm blank gun"?  Blanks are cheap, the guns are designed from the ground up to work well and the price is right at about $100.

We've talked about purchase of a Rock Island Arsenal?/Armory? for about $300 as the base.  What would then be required to convert it to a true .45 blank firing gun?  Anyone done that yet?  If so, what and how......

Thx-
~m38a1
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the blank guns that are based off of a .45 usually are chambered for a differant caliber.

In the past you'd never see a 1911 in movies, because they didn't have the technology to make any kind of .45 blank.   The .45, being such a large diameter, is impossible to crimp, and feed.  

(exception) Thompsons, dont ask me how they fired blanks from those.

Again, most blank firing "1911's" will shoot 8mm.

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey im a WWII reenactor and there are ways to blank adapt 1911'a there is a guy that actually makes drop in barrels for them and I believe they are $75. He also makes ammo which I blieve is 20-25 bucks for 100. IM me and ill give you his info.

Justin
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Most of the blank guns that are based off of a .45 usually are chambered for a differant caliber.

In the past you'd never see a 1911 in movies, because they didn't have the technology to make any kind of .45 blank.   The .45, being such a large diameter, is impossible to crimp, and feed.  

(exception) Thompsons, dont ask me how they fired blanks from those.

Again, most blank firing "1911's" will shoot 8mm.

Yep, that is why there was always a lack of 1911's in movies.  Supposedly in times past it was very uneconomical to produce a 1911 that would fire blanks.  I'm not sure if a 1991 that was set up for 9mm would fire a blank 9mm round or not.  Maybe that is another option for you to check into.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top