Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 10:35:43 AM EDT

I've been considering upgrading the stock GI sights on one of my Sistemas...problem is I sorta kinda don't really want to mill the slide or send it out to have the work done to it. I want to do it in-house as much as possible...as I want fixed sights, I shouldn't really need to do any milling, anyway.

Having said that...I'm not closed to bundling up the slide and barrel and sending it off to be milled and have sights installed, either.

I've read a bunch of stuff about a bunch of different makers; i.e. Heinie, Novak, Nowlin, etc etc etc...anyone have any specific sight preferences? I know Novak sells a rear-sight drop-in on a Colt Gov't (the front requires a dovetail)...do other makers have drop-in rear sights as well? Are there any appreciable quality or other differences between makers?

Does any of the good makers sell drop-in front sights, that will use the stock mounting format?

With Novaks..I know they also offer installation services. Do others do the same? Is it worth it to go that route, or should I buy the sights from say Brownells, and ship it off to another reputable smith/local guy?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:10:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Look at the list of gunsmiths here as a sticky post in the 1911 forums.  I think after you ask around, you may be happy with some of the prices you find as far as getting your slide done.

If you don't have good sights and you aren't comfortable with them, what good is the gun?

If you don't have the money right now, save up and get it done right a little later.

The folks mentioned in the sticky are reputable folks.  You shouldn't have to worry about anything "happening" to your slide while it's away.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 6:49:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks...

Does anyone have any opinions as to the various sights that are available? I.E. Heinie, Novak, etc..does any one type have any advantages/disadvantages over another brand/type? Anyone have any favorite type of sights...or absolutly despise a type, for any reason?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 10:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I really like the Novak low mount night sights.  I have numerous 1911s with them and feel they are quick to acquire both in daylight and low light.  I've used Meprolights, but didn't like them as well.  I also have a plastic gun with Xpress Big Dot front and shallow rear with a tritium bar.  For shorter ranges, nothing is faster, but it lacks precision past 15 yards or so.  Maybe their smaller dot on front would be better, but I've not tried that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I've had 1911s with the drop-in Wilson Combat sights, they are a good choice if you don't feel like cutting up your slide.

The front sight will be tougher to deal with.  Getting the staked-on front blade off without marring the finish can be a tricky job.  You'll also need to buy a staking tool for the new sight.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:13:34 PM EDT
[#6]
My favorite are probably the Novak style.   I have a couple of 1911's currently fitted with the Novak style with trijicon inserts.  They aren't cheap but I like them a lot.    I think normal retail on the sights are about $130.   Some of the basic Novak sights without inserts are ok too.   I have a Springfield 1911A1 that has basic Novaks on it.

Novak style require double dovetails...so that would mean you will have to have your slide machined.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks all...I was basically torn between Heinie's and Novak's. I like Heinies and all...but too many people have Novak's for them to suck.

When I save the scratch up I'll send the slide off for some workings...

Again, thanks all!
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:15:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Stupid f-ing proxy...never mind...dupe
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:19:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Stupid f-ing proxy...

Duping the dupe..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top