Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 4:18:04 PM EDT
Years ago when I was optimistic about CCW in Kansas, I decided to have a light weight gov't model built. The goal was to make it as light as practical at the time. The work was done by Neil Wiggins in Atlanta,Mo.

Caspian aluminum frame,MS housing and beavertail with Briley ramped barrel and all titanium internals. Caspian slide with Heinie sights. Unloaded weight 24.50 OZS.

Two years after the project Springfield made a LW Gov't Model.

The finish is Bearcoat
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:26:43 PM EDT
[#1]
And your point is.....

I hope your point is that you want to sell it.

Seiously, that is my ideal of a perfect carry 1911.  Neil Wiggins is an awesome smith.  You don't hear much about him anymore.  Is he still around?  

I do believe you just gave me the idea for my next project, if I can ever find the time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
No point other than giving you ideas about how you can spend some of your hard earned money.

I was going through the safe and pulled it out. Then I decided to use it to post my first pic.

I have not talked to Neil in years as I have all the custom 1911"s I will ever need or use. I must say his metal work is outstanding.

Yes, I will eventually sell it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You could still drop some weight......

Flute the slide--allowing the recoil spring plug to show.
Ball cut and hipower cut the slide..
Flat top and maybe even flatten the back of the slide.

Thats a nice pistol. It looks very serious.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You could still drop some weight......

Flute the slide--allowing the recoil spring plug to show.
Ball cut and hipower cut the slide..
Flat top and maybe even flatten the back of the slide.

Thats a nice pistol. It looks very serious.

It does not show in the pics but the top of the slide is flattened  and serrated and front cocking serrations helped with the weight loss.

The full length slide cycles almost as fast as the shorter commander length slide. Richard Heinie produced an even lighter slide by machining metal from under the slide but it seemed too radical to us at the time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top