Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 11:52:51 AM EDT
I'd like to thank all the guys who answered the questions I posted a few days ago.  I bought my first 1911 Tuesday, a Springfield mil-spec 4" Champion and I love it. I do have a question. I have put about 150 rnds. through it and noticed that the occasional piece of brass is ejected at a funny angle. Some have actually bounced off my face.  I have only tried one brand of ammo, the Winchester white box 230gn. fmj. Any suggestions how to fix this? Thanks, Nick
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Did you strip it and oil it before hand?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same problem.What till you have one go down your shirt!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a few bounce off my head while shooting.  Make sure you wear some eye protection!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:23:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You may want to consider getting the ejector tuned.  This problem is very common on Colt Defenders but I've never heard of it happening with a Springfield Champion.

I've lost count of how many people have walked back into the shop with one or more semi-circular markes on their foreheads after shooting their new Defenders.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 9:44:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Make sure your ejector is the proper LONG one. Mine came with the short [normal] length one and it did the same thing. Put the correct one in and works much better now. The proper one is the long one. Faster slide speed means it needs to be ejected quicker or the brass seems to hit the slide cut out and get popped back into the face. Also check to make sure the FP stop is not loose and the extractor is not clocking.  My Defender has had no such problem.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top