Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 10:29:18 AM EDT
What is the best book/video/technique/drills out there to improve your shooting for 1) Target and 2) Combat shooting?

Anything would be appreciated. Right now I am just going out and shooting, but feel I am not getting enough out of my time.

If there is something out there that lays out a set of drills and methods to practice, I would like to know what it is.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Train as you fight.

Start with 6inch dots at 5-7 yards until nothing is outside of the dot, then move out to 7 and 10 yards.

practice drawing and firing.  slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

engage multiple targets.

practice failure drills. 2 to the body 1 to the head.

shoot / reload / clear malfunction while moving

don't expect a few sessions to make you a steely eyed killer it takes lots of time and committment.

draw straight up and then index you gun towards the target, so you can shoot if need be as you extend and add your support hand.  

after a while you will start to see that at the ranges of 10-15 yards and in you don't even aim, it all becomes instinctive shooting, you hit what your eyes focus on, kind of like pointing your finger.  

Find a friend or a teacher that can show you some quick fundementals from which you can build on.

My .02

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Good post FROST18E...........+1
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:27:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:02:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Train as you fight.

Start with 6inch dots at 5-7 yards until nothing is outside of the dot, then move out to 7 and 10 yards.

engage multiple targets.

don't expect a few sessions to make you a steely eyed killer it takes lots of time and committment.

draw straight up and then index you gun towards the target, so you can shoot if need be as you extend and add your support hand.  

after a while you will start to see that at the ranges of 10-15 yards and in you don't even aim, it all becomes instinctive shooting, you hit what your eyes focus on, kind of like pointing your finger.  

Find a friend or a teacher that can show you some quick fundementals from which you can build on.

My .02

Good luck

good stuff indeed
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:51:12 AM EDT
[#5]
The only thing I can add is practice with a purpose.  Set a realistic goal and then train to meet that goal.  For instance when I first started practicing bullseye seriously my goal was to put 60 rounds all in the black of a 50 ft NRA target.  I made that goal and then set the bar higher.

Here is a great site for info on target shooting.

Kent
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:07:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Train as you fight.

engage multiple targets.

My .02

Good luck

Or you could get involved with IDPA shoots.  Learn the same principles in a competitive, friendly, knowledgeable environment.  
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Here's my typical 200-round range session...

(note: I'm usually the only person on the pistol firing line)

1) (about 50 rounds)
 -Arrive and set up 2 silhouettes, preferably at different distances from 5-10Y
 -close eyes and turn around a couple of times to semi-disorient myself.
 -use another shooters gunshot or a friend's verbal command as a "go" command to turn, find the targets, draw, and neutralize (usually 2 to body and 1 to head) as fast as possible.
I do this from concealment, using my leather IWB carry holster, and without any gun handling or dry firing first to see how I can handle myself "cold."  

2)  (about 75 rounds)
 -switch to my kydex paddle holster (it's a lot more comfortable for repeated drawing and reholstering.
 -staple 4x6 index cards over the chest and head of the silhouettes.  practice drawing and shooting but try to always hit the cards.  
 -stop after 25 rounds (3 8rd mags +1 in chamber) and tape up my misses.  Replace the cards as necessary.  
This is where I focus on technique -- proper grip, smooth draw, trigger control, etc.  I gradually speed up as I go.

3) (about 25 rounds)
 - same as above, but offhand

4) (about 50 rounds)
 - load 1-3 rounds in each magazine (I usually have one in the gun and two spares)
 - shoot a couple rounds, mag change, etc. until I'm out of mags
 - reload mags with 1-3 rounds each, repeat until ammo is gone

5) pack up and go home (or go play with the rifles for awhile)

Not sure if that will help, but it works okay for me.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Bill Drills.

'Nuff said.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here's my typical 200-round range session...

(note: I'm usually the only person on the pistol firing line)

1) (about 50 rounds)
 -Arrive and set up 2 silhouettes, preferably at different distances from 5-10Y
 -close eyes and turn around a couple of times to semi-disorient myself.
 -use another shooters gunshot or a friend's verbal command as a "go" command to turn, find the targets, draw, and neutralize (usually 2 to body and 1 to head) as fast as possible.
I do this from concealment, using my leather IWB carry holster, and without any gun handling or dry firing first to see how I can handle myself "cold."  

2)  (about 75 rounds)
 -switch to my kydex paddle holster (it's a lot more comfortable for repeated drawing and reholstering.
 -staple 4x6 index cards over the chest and head of the silhouettes.  practice drawing and shooting but try to always hit the cards.  
 -stop after 25 rounds (3 8rd mags +1 in chamber) and tape up my misses.  Replace the cards as necessary.  
This is where I focus on technique -- proper grip, smooth draw, trigger control, etc.  I gradually speed up as I go.

3) (about 25 rounds)
 - same as above, but offhand

4) (about 50 rounds)
 - load 1-3 rounds in each magazine (I usually have one in the gun and two spares)
 - shoot a couple rounds, mag change, etc. until I'm out of mags
 - reload mags with 1-3 rounds each, repeat until ammo is gone

5) pack up and go home (or go play with the rifles for awhile)

Not sure if that will help, but it works okay for me.

That's a whole day right there
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:00:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Dryfire - I swear I get more out of dryfire practice than live fire.  

Take classes - there are a bunch of great training facilities out there.

Shoot IDPA and/or IPSC.

Read the Brian Enos book - it's not "tactical", but it helped me a lot in terms of thinking through how I shoot.

When I practice at the range I usually do:

A few draw and fire one round on the clock for warmups.

Then I do a few Mozambique drills - I alternate between shooting to slidelock and reloading and reloading between targets.

Then I shoot tactical sequence (let's do the Bill chant: 1, 1, 2, 1,1).

Then I back up to 25 yards and shoot for accuracy - I found that this helped me a lot when I started doing it.

Then I usually pull out the moving targets and set up stages to run through for the fun of it.

Usually about 300 rounds in total.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#12]
tag
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 4:12:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top