Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:41:10 PM EDT
I have a 1914 issue Colt 1911 which was given to me. My experience with pistols is with glocks and sigs so I will ask those of you in the know. When the pistol is disassembled should the barrel link pin be able to slide out of the barrel link or should it be tight?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's lose, it's no biggie, but it tends to slide out when you aren't thinking about it, leading to a lost link pin.  Stake it in place.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:45:55 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it's lose, it's no biggie, but it tends to slide out when you aren't thinking about it, leading to a lost link pin.  Stake it in place.  

Yep, it won't come out while in the gun tho if that is what you are worried about. If it is REALLY loose and you are going to shoot it I'd buy a new one, stake it in LIGHTLY and keep the old one in a marked bag with the guns SN#. If you're not going to shoot it, and it's just a collector piece I'd leave it alone. I don't know ho much shooting I would do with a nice original one anyways. I'd probably buy a 400 buck 1991 and shoot the whee out of that one first. Some of the old parts are NOT available and if broken would drop the value down considerably. The steel was pretty soft in them and was not really heat treated all that well. If you do shoot it put a new recoil spring in it, have it inspected by a gunsmith, and shoot reasonable ammo thru it. Don't blast +p or the likes ammo. BTW get it appraised or at least check on values first, you might be very surprised by the prices. If it was mine I'd NOT shoot it if original, lots of dicked with ones for that out there. If you want a shooter first and foremost I'll trade you a 1911 WW1 Colt repro NIB for it with some $$$. or something else like a NIB series 70 Colt and some cash. If its been messed with have fun with it, just have it inspected first. Gotta a 6920 NIB too. However if it's a family heirloom keep it you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:56:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info, I think I'll just leave it as is since I don't really plan on shooting it. My grandfather gave it to me, was originally my great grandfathers so I plan on keeping it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Thanks for the info, I think I'll just leave it as is since I don't really plan on shooting it. My grandfather gave it to me, was originally my great grandfathers so I plan on keeping it.

Good, like I said if it's family keep it and pass it down, it's a part of the history of the family. I'd pull it down [field strip] and rig [preservative] the inside and under the grips, Then I would use a good rust preventative/oil on the rest of it. That way you can still handle it if you want, and just wipe the prints off it afterwards. If the finish is still nice I would probably use white gloves to handle it, I have seen a few oldtimers put away and have a fingerprint rust mark later when they are taken out. If you can, document the Branch, company and whatever else is known about your Great Grandpa's service to this Country and put it with the pistol. Someone might be happy you did it down the road. I have done that myself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top