Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/15/2005 6:03:09 AM EDT
Anyone have experience with these mags?  I bought my Kimber Warrior a few days ago, and I wanted some Chip McCormick mags to go with it.  However, the shop I stopped in at didn't have any McCormick mags available, but he strongly recommended the Wilson-Rogers mags, saying he personally preferred them.  

I trust this guy, he's always done right by me in the past, but I don't know anything about these mags.  Are they the equal of McCormick mags?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:27:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Wilsons are the Best!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:42:26 AM EDT
[#2]
I currently carry 4 Wilson 8 round black mags on duty. I have a few spares for back up.  I rotate through all my Wilson mags on the range without problems.  I have two that have weaker springs which will be replaced soon.  I have spoken to a couple of people about the CMC mags and they highly recommend them.  I am going to try a couple and in the worst  case they will be additional range mags.  I have used Wilson mags for nearly three years and would not question their reliability in my experience.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:43:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:16:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't care for them. The springs are too weak, and I don't like the idea of a plastic follower being responsible for timely slide lock.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:24:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Wilsons are the Best!!!!

+1  FLAWLESS function in my experience.

Only ones I'll use
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:02:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't care for them. The springs are too weak, and I don't like the idea of a plastic follower being responsible for timely slide lock.

That's the biggest problem I've had with the Wilsons.  I have one that won't lock the slide on anything.

Brownells has McCormick mags in stock.  I just ordered some today.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:04:19 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wilsons are the Best!!!!

+1  FLAWLESS function in my experience.

Only ones I'll use

+2
IMO they are the "gold" standard of magazines, the only ones I use.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:05:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Good to hear they work as advertised.  Especially since I paid $30 for each of the two I picked up the other day.  Compare that to my $5 USGI mags.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:09:18 AM EDT
[#9]
They are the best in the world.  I think they are the only magazine manufacturer actually called out in a military spec for a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:44:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Find the Wilson Combat master dealer in your state.  They more than likely get magazines in bulk and the price difference will surprise you.

Here is a good which magazine thread.

Some suggest you stick with the original 7 round format

More good reading re: 7 vs. 8 round magazine use.

And yet more good 1911 magazine reading.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:46:47 AM EDT
[#11]
The more you read the more you come to realize Wilson Combat magazines are not all that.  There are issues with the follower failing and leaving the 8 round magazines loaded for long periods.  Hilton Yam recommends changing out the springs ever few months!  Find what works for your gun.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Hilton Yam recommends changing out the springs ever few months!  

Wow.  And here my springs are YEARS old and still work fine.

Go figure
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:06:25 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go figure

I believe he speaks from a duty weapon load perspective and having the magazine loaded for long periods of time.  For general range use maybe they last longer?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:08:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:14:04 PM EDT
[#15]
nothing but wilson for my carry gunshadhad a deep crease along one side,follower wouldn't  go past.

shipped it back and inna coupla days had a brand new,no questions asked.

they get all my businessclown
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go figure

I believe he speaks from a duty weapon load perspective and having the magazine loaded for long periods of time.  For general range use maybe they last longer?

Yeah, that's what I thought you meant.

Mine are "duty" magazines - they get carried daily, left fully loaded.    No problems.

As long as springs aren't overloaded, they are good for many YEARS, not weeks.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Springs wear from compression-release not long term compression. While nothing man made is perfect I've never had a problem with any of my Wilson Mags.

SGB,  That is what I understand also.  But have read also that long term compression may in fact have an effect.

While you cannot declare one post as the end all gouge on spring set, it does bring up some good empirical data:

That AH article was...hardly a great reference. Springs absolutely do take a set and sure can wear out. In taking a set, springs shorten to a working length where they'll maintain sufficient resiliency for a period of time. While I'd like to hear from a machinist or engineer whether springs really technically wear during cycling only or also during full compression, in practice I find that springs wear both in full compression and cycling. The load that the spring takes will affect the actual wear; ie. a light load won't be wearing the spring the same as a heavy load. To keep things germane to this thread, springs in a fully loaded 7 rd 1911 mag don't take as hard a load as in fully loaded 8 rd mags, since the tube was designed to accomodate 7 rds. Other military design hicap mags also allow sufficient room for spring compression, though many modern designs seek to cram in more rounds/spring into a smaller space. It's in these tubes that springs don't last as long.

As far as the arcane damage to loaded rounds during carry, I think I'd first worry about things like spring wear, feed lip fatigue/stretching, and bullet setback in rounds that might be repeatedly chambered.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:41:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I greatly prefer the CMC Powermags.  One note though, when shopping for CMC mags it's important to make sure you're getting the Powermags and not the Shooting Star magazines.

I only use Wilsons in my aluminum framed gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:04:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:07:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Ive used Wilson 8 rounders for years with no problems.  Ive had ONE cracked follower, replaced two tubes because they were simply worn out.  Springs get replaced yearly.

Ive just been lucky with the 2 dozen I own
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:23:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ive used Wilson 8 rounders for years with no problems.  Ive had ONE cracked follower, replaced two tubes because they were simply worn out.  Springs get replaced yearly.

Ive just been lucky with the 2 dozen I own

It is hard to wear them out when they're in the safe!  You had to see that coming.

Naw, it isn't that they don't work, my point is that they are not bulletproof, that there are some drawbacks. Hell I sell Wilson mags, I just don't use 'em.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:41:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Wilsons are the measuring stick, but they are not flawless.  I rotated 7 through a play gun and about 4k rds the springs were too weak to go to slidelock.  The plastic followeres will eventually wear and fail to engage the slide lock.  The tubes can spread and fail to drop free.  This is easily adjusted.  The plastic base pads if "used" enough will wear and pop loose eventually causing over insertion problems.  Easily solved with aluminum pads.  Keep the body in spec and the guts new and they work great.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:22:39 PM EDT
[#24]
I just find this really rather rediculous.  Just two years ago, Wilsons were considered the ultimate.  Now one gunsmith thats everyone's darling these days says McCormicks are the way to go.  BFD, lets play the name game.  Larry Vickers still insists on them, and he builds serious guns for serious people.

I trust my life to them, because in 14 years of shooting 1911s HEAVILY, one has never failed me.

To each his own.  Im not so convinced on the superiority of my opinion that I cant say everyone can get as much reliability out of the CMC mags.  They are great mags.

BUT, in the tradition of the internet, you cant like more than one company at a time, so I'll just piss on everyone that doesnt like Wilson's mags anymore because they aren't "Cool guy in."

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#25]
So your opinion is the only one that's original and your own and not just parroting a celebrity?

I've liked McCormick Powermags since I bought my Kimber.  I got it used, it came with a Wilson, and I bought a couple of Powermags and a couple more Wilsons to see which I liked better.  I prefer the Powermag after running both.    If you've tried both and like the Wilsons then it's your opinion and I respect that.  If you've only ever run the Wilsons and still prefer them then it's still your opinion.

I don't know why you have to get so emotional over stuff people write on the internet.  If we're all just a bunch of mindless drones that are led around by the latest gun celebrity why do you care what we think?

Remember "just two years ago" ARMS was considered "the shit" and now you're drinking the Larue Kool Aid just like the rest of us.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:38:36 PM EDT
[#26]

"Back in 1980, Bill Wilson asked me to test some of his new Wilson-Rogers .45 magazines.  He explained that he felt they had solved the problem of cracked feed lips and that their new magazines fed much more reliably than any others on the market.  Well, it's 24 years later now and I'm still using some of those original 6 prototype magazines that Bill sent me...Through the years they have proven without a doubt to be the most reliable and durable 1911 magazines on the market.  I have personally used specimens from various production runs through the years and have yet to see any quality variation or have one let me down in any way.  They are my first and only choice as well as the choice of the elite special forces units I train.  I trust my life to a Wilson Combat pistol and 8-round Wilson magazines; so can you..."

Ken Hackathorn

Tactical Shooting Instructor, Gun Writer, IPSC & IDPA Founder

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:52:53 PM EDT
[#27]
I think that most of the major companies got parts of the equation correct. I don't care who said what, as if I haven't pissed everyone off yet, I will soon.

If Metalform would learn how to make a damn baseplate, I'd go with their convex follower model exclusively--I have never had one fail to function!

If Wilson had stronger springs and a metal follower to engage the slide stop, I'd go with them exclusively.

If McCormick didn't use the stepped follower, I'd use the Powermags exclusively.

I have had excellent performancefrom all of the above manufacturers, but there are weak links. My goal, in my firearms, to which I trust the lives of those I love, is to erase the weak links systematically to create a system I can almost blindly believe in.

Nobody should blindly follow the words of any man. That includes whomever Lumpy is talking about (perhaps I'm ignorant, but I have no idea of whom you speak). What we should do is find out what works best for us. I got to this point in my search for "the perfect magazine" by trial and error.

BTW, two years ago, I considered Metalform the ultimate.

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:55:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

I trust my life to them, because in 14 years of shooting 1911s HEAVILY, one has never failed me.

That is the most imporant line in the entire post, and supports my point! Use what works!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

I think I'll try replacing the spring on that one that's giving me trouble.  Thanks, Lumpy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:36:37 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think that most of the major companies got parts of the equation correct. I don't care who said what, as if I haven't pissed everyone off yet, I will soon.

If Metalform would learn how to make a damn baseplate, I'd go with their concave follower model exclusively--I have never had one fail to function!

If Wilson had stronger springs and a metal follower to engage the slide stop, I'd go with them exclusively.

If McCormick didn't use the stepped follower, I'd use the Powermags exclusively.

I have had excellent performancefrom all of the above manufacturers, but there are weak links. My goal, in my firearms, to which I trust the lives of those I love, is to erase the weak links systematically to create a system I can almost blindly believe in.

Nobody should blindly follow the words of any man. That includes whomever Lumpy is talking about (perhaps I'm ignorant, but I have no idea of whom you speak). What we should do is find out what works best for us. I got to this point in my search for "the perfect magazine" by trial and error.

BTW, two years ago, I considered Metalform the ultimate.

[email protected]

Interesting observations.  

Some of the Metalform metal followers sure look a lot like the Wilson followers.  Are any of the Metalform followers interchangeable with the Wilson followers in a Wilson magazine?

Do the Power Mags use the same follower as the Shooting Stars?  If so, I'll pass.  7 years ago when i bought my first 1911, I got a couple of McCormick Shooting Stars mags to go with it (pre Power Mags).  It wasn't long before I noticed that the followers would shift forward with the last round or two resulting in a failure to feed.   I disposed of them and picked up some Wilsons.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:20:06 PM EDT
[#31]
+1 on Wilson mags.

I use the 8 rounders in my Les baer Thunder ranch special. Never had a malfuntion in almost 10 years.

Also the Les baer 7 rounders have been perfect as well. The wilsons I use are the 8 round and 10 round extention mags.

My Springfield runs 100% with the mags they provided. Also I have great respect for Mecgar mags.

Never heard anything bad about the Mcormick mags tho.

Woosaa
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:50:03 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I just find this really rather rediculous.  Just two years ago, Wilsons were considered the ultimate.  Now one gunsmith thats everyone's darling these days says McCormicks are the way to go.  BFD, lets play the name game.  Larry Vickers still insists on them, and he builds serious guns for serious people.

One way some folks build reputations is by bucking the "traditional wisdom."  I'll trust my own firsthand experience over internet hearsay, thanks very much.  On the other hand, maybe I should throw all my Colts in the trash, since "everybody knows" they make a bunch of garbage that needs $1000 worth of work before they will feed even hardball.

I'd still be using McCormick power mags if it weren't for all my aluminum framed 1911's.  Those get Wilson 8 rounders; the 7 rounders don't lock the slide open reliably from my experiences.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:56:54 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Anyone have experience with these mags?  I bought my Kimber Warrior a few days ago, and I wanted some Chip McCormick mags to go with it.  However, the shop I stopped in at didn't have any McCormick mags available, but he strongly recommended the Wilson-Rogers mags, saying he personally preferred them.  

I trust this guy, he's always done right by me in the past, but I don't know anything about these mags.  Are they the equal of McCormick mags?

Thanks.

Most of the people on this forum use Wilson Combat 47Ds for self defense.  So to answer your question, no, they are not equal to CMC mags, they are a little better.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 1:27:11 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Most of the people on this forum use Wilson Combat 47Ds for self defense.  So to answer your question, no, they are not equal to CMC mags, they are a little better.

That is the most illogical conclusion I have seen anyone come to in quite some time.

Because a majority of errornet users like something it must be better?  C'mon.  I don't care which mag you choose (or which anything you choose), but if you buy a product solely because some guys on the errornet told you to then you need to rethink your priorities.

Generally the best practice is to buy the top two or three recomended products from a combination of sources and try them for yourself.  Especially in this case where it would cost you less than $100 to buy a couple of each mag and see which one you like firsthand.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:37:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:39:09 AM EDT
[#36]
That is a good point about the Wilson warranty Hawkeye.  I don't know of anyone who has complained about their warranty service when an issue arises with one of the magazines.

I can't comment on McCormick's warranty because I don't know of anyone who has had to use it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:40:47 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

"Back in 1980, Bill Wilson asked me to test some of his new Wilson-Rogers .45 magazines.  He explained that he felt they had solved the problem of cracked feed lips and that their new magazines fed much more reliably than any others on the market.  Well, it's 24 years later now and I'm still using some of those original 6 prototype magazines that Bill sent me...Through the years they have proven without a doubt to be the most reliable and durable 1911 magazines on the market.  I have personally used specimens from various production runs through the years and have yet to see any quality variation or have one let me down in any way.  They are my first and only choice as well as the choice of the elite special forces units I train.  I trust my life to a Wilson Combat pistol and 8-round Wilson magazines; so can you..."

Ken Hackathorn

Tactical Shooting Instructor, Gun Writer, IPSC & IDPA Founder

And don't forget gun rag shill and general boof-boy of Bill Wilson.

Not to take anything away from the guy's credentials, but his recent writings have left a bit to be desired when it comes to objectivity.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:29:06 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I can't comment on McCormick's warranty because I don't know of anyone who has had to use it.

I've used McCormick's warranty a few times.  Once on an ambi safety that broke (they replaced it FOC), once on a grip screw that fell out (replaced FOC), and once on a batch of 3 mags (refunded price of purchase).

I bought the mags (1 8rd and 2 10rd PowerMags) from Brownells, and all three of them failed to consistently drop free from my Kimber.  I have a couple other PowerMags and several Shooting Star mags that fit perfectly, so I assumed it was an out of spec batch.

They sent me a letter explaining that they QCd my mags and determined them to be in spec, so instead of replacing the mags they enclosed a check for the price of purchase.

I'm experimenting now with a Wilson 8rd mag, and if it holds up I'll probably get some more.  I'm mostly happy with the CMC mags, but I've had a little trouble with their followers riding forward and chewing up the feed ramp on my aluminum frame.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:35:20 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I've had a little trouble with their followers riding forward and chewing up the feed ramp on my aluminum frame.

That's a pretty well known and common issue with just about any metal follower mags.  It's the only reason I still use any Wilsons.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#40]
I have used Wilson 8-rounders for YEARS, and never had a bit of trouble with them.  They're the standard, as far as I'm concerned.

I shoot around a thousand rounds a month on average, btw.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the most illogical conclusion I have seen anyone come to in quite some time.

Because a majority of errornet users like something it must be better?  C'mon.  I don't care which mag you choose (or which anything you choose), but if you buy a product solely because some guys on the errornet told you to then you need to rethink your priorities.

Being an almost established fact that ppl will end up using what works, if a majority is using product x then reliability must come into play.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:17:18 AM EDT
[#42]
WILSON +1- never had a problem out of my Wilson mags
McCormick...I've had some good, two bad- they will replace them if you have problems
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 10:11:05 PM EDT
[#43]
my kimber doesnt want to drop free the mccormick shooting star mags i have that work flawlessly in my gold cup, go figure.
the kimber and all my 1911's LOVE wilson mags,
i tried one and bought 10 more
a dealer on evilbay sells 5 for 130.00 including shipping.
at least every other week he lists and ships with in 3 days.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:57:01 AM EDT
[#44]
From EE Dealer, 5 for $113 or 10 for $218, delivered:

Wilson Mags
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:24:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Late again...(sigh).

I had run my stable of 8 McC mags through my Springfield to the tune of several thousand rounds. I don't have an exact count. But after that many rounds and several tweaks to the gun, I started haveing slide-lock problems. My first thought was to ditch the McC mags and buy Wilsons. The Wilsons, for most shooters (not all) are a gold standard. After consulting with my gunsmith, though, and since I already had the tubes, I ended up ordering several packs of Wolfe overpower springs and contacted Gil Hebard to order new Metalform metal, convex followers. The result was some damn fine refurb mags! But that's kind of a long way to get to it. If I were going to start over from scratch, I'd just buy Wilson and maintain my springs.

And I would like to add, I also ordered directly from Metalform, two of their "true 8 round" mags (they extend out of the magwell about .25 or less). I have not completed field testing on those yet. I can't say that I'm in love with the rubber boot that covers the end of the mag that sticks out of the magwell.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm late on this too. I buy the Springers for about 10 bucks and add the wolff springs. I preferred the dimple  followers, they have. They work 100% of the time. They have the solid floorplate in  which I like. Some people don't. It only takes 30 seconds to change the spring.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:49:20 PM EDT
[#47]
My Commander has never malfunctioned with Wilson 8-rounders. They are my carry mags.

I use the thin steel baseplates. They're nice if you don't want a half inch of floorplate hanging off the bottom of you gun.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Full size gun, seven rd. Wilson mags. My best Colt mag has a wilson spring and follower.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:12:46 PM EDT
[#49]
47D's are all I run. Never a problem.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 7:06:33 AM EDT
[#50]
They are not the best for me... I really wanted to like them!  All six Wilson mags I owned would not feed the last round out of the mag correctly in my Kimber TLE II.  This happened about 50% of the time.  I used the Wilson #47 (7 round mags).  May have something to do with the follower and bullet feed angle.  Any brand of mag with traditional split leaf follower works in the pistol (even $4 a piece cheapos).  

I switched over to McCormick Power Mags and sold the Wilsons.  McCormicks work perfectly.  Even though the Power Mags are eight rounders, the springs are very strong and have not weakened in the 10 months or so that I have been using them.  I've noticed that if there is already a cartridge chambered, inserting a full 8 round mag can be difficult, so sometimes I just load them up with 7 rounds. I practice lately without firing to slide lock and changing magazines before they are depleted. Sportsmansguide.com has a good deal on them.

- Pete45
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top