Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 3:34:16 AM EDT
I was thinking of buying a Kimber TLE II w/rail, I have however heard there are often problems with the pistol, such as the external extractor. I was wondering how you guys that have one like it, and if it would be a good home defense gun?I have shot a HK USP and Glock 21, and just like the feel of a 1911. I currently own a springfield G.I. 45 and it has been flawless in function and use it as a range gun. I was looking at the Kimber for the added features and light rail, because to get my G.I. pistol to the Kimber level it will cost a great deal anyway.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:46:40 AM EDT
[#1]
I have had my TLEII (no rail) for about a year.  I have shot a few thousand rounds through it including competition and training.

Outside of break-in teething, the only issues I have had were mag related.  It wasn't often, but often enogh to notice, but sometimes I would get a failure to feed.  Using Wilson 47D magazines got rid of the issues and the Kimber mags have been demoted to range duty.

No breakage or other failures to report.  I have shot various types of practice and SD ammo without issue.  It feeds and extracts reliably.

FWIW, the gun is bone stock with no add-ons or tuning done outside of the factory, although I don't use the Kimber magazines for carry.  I have carried it CCW, as I do trust it for SD purposes, when it has Wilson mags in it.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:47:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I know quite a few people with this particular gun, and I have one as well (though I'm selling it today).  Though some people have reported problems, I have not experienced any.  The armorer for the USMC DET-1 unit feels that maybe the extractor design is a little on the short side, which might account for some problems.  I wish there was a truly definitive answer as to why some guns had problems.  I've heard everything to it being a design flaw in the original part, which had been rectified with an upgraded part, to some guns having weak springs, to the design being plain bad.  

I suppose you a few options.  Get the TLE/RL II, and take the chance.  Shoot the heck out of it right away until you feel confident with it's reliability, and send it to Kimber if it is unreliable.

Or, get a Warrior with the traditional internal extractor.

Or, get a used Kimber series 1 gun, and put an add on rail on it.

Or, go with a Springfield Armory MC Operator, TRP Operator, or find a used one (Mil-Spec, Loaded, whatever).

I would not feel handicapped by the TLE/RL II.  I like all the options it comes with.  Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the feedback guys
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:42:36 PM EDT
[#4]
My father and I both own a TLE II (no rail) and the only problem either of us have had was an extractor.  I can't remember exactly what was wrong with it (this was on my fathers gun, not mine).  He called Kimber, they said send it to them, he had it back within a week and has had no problems since.  Both of us have put all kinds of ammo thru them w/o problems.  He uses his as his carry weapon (was his duty weapon before he retired from the sheriffs dept. back home).  I wish I'd bought mine with the rail, but they just came out then and everyone was overpriced on the railed versions.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:49:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Pro TLE/RL,bought it used, dead-on accurate, no malfunctions yet.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:19:17 PM EDT
[#6]
My TLE/RL sits in the nightstand with M6 attached, ready to go.  I have had no problems with the TLE, although the M6 leaves much to be desired.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
I have one and couldn't be happier. It is the most accurate pistol I have ever shot. I've been teaching my girlfriend to shoot my 9mm Sig 226, and she got to a point where the trigger pull wouldn't let her groups get any smaller. I let her try my Kimber TLE/RL II and her groups shrunk by 30%. Very nice trigger. I've also started using it for IPSC and it hasn't had a hiccup yet.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 12:04:24 PM EDT
[#8]
My TLE 2 started failing to extract after 1800 rounds. My brothers Custom 2 started failing to extract after 3k. They both functioned fine for the first 1k+ rounds.

I'll never own another external extractor again.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#9]
my TLE RL 2 has been 100% reliable for 2k+ rounds.

It wears an M3x and is one of two handguns I own that sit with 230grn JHP's ready to go at a moments notice.

Never had any problems, and not worried about getting any.

I would never consider the external extractor a negative.  Almost every other handgun on the face of the planet has one.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 1:51:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would never consider the external extractor a negative.  Almost every other handgun on the face of the planet has one.

True but the 1911 never needed one to begin with. The internal has worked fine for many, many, many years now.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:23:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I have posted this many times before. If you want a Series I type Kimber and do not need a railed gun, look on Gunbroker.com and Auctionarms.com for the Kimber 25th Anniversary Custom. I've seen them sell for $710 - $750 NIB.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 7:30:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

True but the 1911 never needed one to begin with. The internal has worked fine for many, many, many years now.

Well so did the model T.

I sure hope you have nothing other than a mil-spec, because they worked just fine as well right?

Take off your fancy hammers, long triggers, night sights, rails, and checkering, cause the 1911 worked just fine without them too right?

Whether or not the external extractor is a plus, doesnt matter.  It happened, it works, who gives a flying fuck if the original didn't have it.

The original cars didn't have power steering and it really isn't needed, but hey, I'm not bitching.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 3:27:53 PM EDT
[#13]
External extractors are, in my experience, less reliabile, almost impossible to work on, and generally a pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 4:50:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top