Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2005 4:29:15 PM EDT
hey guys i have been here for awhile just looking around,now i have my first question..im looking into buying my first 1911after many ,many days of research, i have chose on the SA mil-spec..now i want to change some parts on the gun..now heres my question..i am going to change the beaver tail,the hammer and the rear sight to Chip Mc. parts....now these parts are going to run somewhere in the $60-$80 range on top of the gun,$450-$500..or should i just get the full size with all these parts already on it..$650-$680..o and i am going to change the grips as well but i already have them..gunner grips...also how hard is it to swap out these parts..this is my first 1911 and single action pistol..im a DA only guy,untill i fired a ferinds 1911 and i was hooked..thanks alot..
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#1]
If you can afford it, I'd say buy the pistol as complete as you can afford. 1911 isn't very hard to work on or modify.

Greetings fellow SC'er.

BK
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
good more S.C. people, we all need to get together for a shoot sometime. Yeah, if you can afford it, try to find a used loaded model, 1911's are easy to work on, but some parts do require fitting, like the beavertail. But if you want to customize it yourself, Smith and Alexander have a grip saftey with the correct radius for SA frames, .220 i think.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:12:19 PM EDT
[#3]
good deal on the getting together sometime...i have a great spot for shooting..my cousins house..hes the guy that got me here...im in upstate ,where are you guys at..and thanks on the info..i think that this is the 1911 im going to get,
http://www.springfield-armory.com/images/pistols/PX9109LLarge.jpg
..thanks
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:29:57 PM EDT
[#4]
That is a nice one, right now I have a Rock Island that i've had some work done on. I'm in the Conway, Myrtle Beach area. couple of good ranges here, also USPSA style comps in Aynor first sunday of the month. my next will either be a Springer mil-spec or another Rock island, but a commander model. pics of mine are in the pic thread at the top of the page, just posted it, so it's probably still the last one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:40:53 PM EDT
[#5]
hey i like that one...how are the
RIA 1911s.... i have heard alot of different things about them..also hows the charles daly one..thanks..
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:14:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Before you start changing stuff, shoot it, shoot it some more, then shoot it even more. Don't start changing stuff before you even make sure the bugs are out of it. After 5 or 6 months of shooting THEN determine what you like and what you want changed. I am just as happy shooting a plain old 60 year old USGI 1911 as I am a new "cuisinart" custom with all the doodads. I doubt I shoot all that better with those anyways cept they don't have the old 8 pounds GI triggers. Get a couple of Wilson Mags and some ammo and get shootin. And welcome.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:22:59 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks for the reply...the only reason i said that i was going to change those parts was because of the hammer bite...his didnt do it to me,but it could happen as i have wide hands...so thats the ONLY reason i would change those parts ,not because of quality..,what is a good group at 25 yards..also how good is a kimber to a SA of the same price range..?..thanks alot for the welcome...
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:53:44 PM EDT
[#8]
buy the Kimber......TLE would be a good one!

Travis
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
yea ,but the SA loaded has the same features of the Kimber at a cheaper cost...and SA has been building 1911s longer than kimber..so i am really looking for informative posts...which is better..also i had heard the the charles daly 1911s are good also for a first one..thanks..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top