Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2005 7:34:46 PM EDT
A few years ago I installed my first Dawson Precision light rail.  It was easy to install, came with concise clear instructions, and was very well made.  Considering it is very unobtrusive when the light is off the gun, I cannot think of a better system.  It's pricey, but you get what you pay for.  

I had one issue though, and it was totally my fault.  I installed the rail, and did not loctite the threads after I reblued the gun.  I simply forgot, and when I first fired the gun (a Colt Delta Elite), I lost the rear screw as it wandered out from recoil.  Well, you don't just go to the local hardware store and buy one.  I tried.  The rail held steady with two screws for many years, and I never made that mistake on any subsequent rail installations.

This brings me to the point of this thread.  Though I was very happy with the product, it was Dawson's customer service that really impressed me.  About two weeks ago I e-mailed Dawson, explaining to them how I messed up.  I asked them if I could purchase a screw.  I realize they are a fairly large operation for a gunsmithing/1911 building firm.  I expected them to be too busy to cater to such a small request, as has been my experience with Les Baer.

They sent me 6 new screws, 3 in blued and 3 in stainless, just in case.  I insisted on paying them, and they refused to send me payment info.  How many companies operate like this today?  Few, if any.  Between the cost of the screws, the postage and packaging, I figure they're out $10 just to satisfy a customer they don't know.  Just as a company like Les Baer can completely alienate their customers with poor customer service, a company like this deserves kudos for their attitude and way of conducting business.  When we get bad treatment from a gun company, it's easy to complain.  I figured it would be nice to say something good about a company that went out of it's way to please a customer from 3 years ago.  My hat's off to them.

For those not familiar with them, here's a link.  Check out their light kits if nothing else.

www.dawsonprecision.com/
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:03:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Agreed.

I bought an STI Trojan from them.  Super fast service, very helpful, lots of inventory, and a law enforcement discount to boot.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:52:43 AM EDT
[#2]
John what you described is what is seriously lacking in most of today's enterprises.  Some might have a "customer service" department,  manned by incompetent, unskilled, crude, bungling people who wouldn't know what service meant.  A business that does what you mentioned has not only retained a loyal customer, but through word of mouth, has gained even more customers than any advertising could ever hope to achieve.    Kudos to DAWSON PRECISION !!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Two companies that I have had similar experiences with are Hogue and Willson Combat.  With Hogue I had purchased some grips to go on my Ruger from a local shop and they were missing the stirrup used to secure the grip to the frame.  I called them and within the week I had a new stirrup for free.  With Willson Combat, I purchased some grips from them and during shooting both of the emblems fell out.  I was able to find them and epoxy them in properly, but I called Willson to see if I could get some extra emblems just in case.  They apologized for what had happened and sent me two sets of emblems for free.  I have also called them for technical advice and questions I had when I was looking to get my Kimber refinished.  In fact they said if one finish had a slight edge (NP3 vs Armor Tuff), they said the NP3 had the "Slight" advantage.  I'm not trying to take away from your post Hobbs.  I felt that my experiences with other companies were similar and should also be mentioned.  In this day in age of high speed/low drag and option upon options one can easily feel overwhelmed.  It is always good to know about the companies that truely provide an excellent product and customer service.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 11:06:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Heck, it does not take away from my post at all.  I really appreciate it, as I'm sure do others.  It might be nice to post about companies that have given us good customer service.  I would not have guessed a company the size of Wilson would be so customer service oriented.  They were pretty unproffesional for me 5 years ago when I purchased a shotgun from them, but playing devil's advocate, they had just acquired Scattergun Technologies, and that might explain why it took them a year and a half and about 40 phone calls/a dozen e-mails to get my gun.  A post like yours makes wme want to give them a second chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top